gambo and ash reporting

mribnik

Reaction score
He may not be as good as KT or PJ (hopefully the Suns can still get him) but he's very athletic for a big man right? If so, he's a better player than Hunter was and Hunter was able to get some minutes. Hopefully Skinner will get some as well (assuming he does sign).

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like this signing good insurance for losing Kurt Thomas so does this mean we will probally not get pj brown though?

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Coach has to play him, I remember him going crazy on the boards against us last season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm guessing this means PJ is officially done. Let's hope coach plays him more than he did Hunter. If he does, he can contribute. Eight deep - pretty solid. Add PJ and I think we're unstoppable.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted:

http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/7661

Getting close on Skinner

There have been two good indicators today for Suns fans hoping Phoenix will land free agent and veteran big man Brian Skinner.

1. The Suns believe that they will get him and that it is just a matter of working out the semantics of his partially guaranteed contract.

2. Esteban Batista's agent, Marc Cornstein, said today that the chances of Batista coming to Phoenix did not appear to be as good as last week. Batista, Phoenix's backup choice to Skinner, may be Boston-bound after all.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that (a) the Suns are too cheap to guarantee Skinner even a minimum contract, and (b) Skinner's so desperate to play for Phoenix that he'll take something non-guaranteed.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Well, this makes me feel...okay. If the Spurs show their age finally, we'll win it all. Can this guy score past 3ft.? If he can't then I don't see him playing much more than Hunter. :(

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe that (a) the Suns are too cheap to guarantee Skinner even a minimum contract, and (b) Skinner's so desperate to play for Phoenix that he'll take something non-guaranteed.

Just means he will showcase his talents then land a decent contact next year.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Right, it's good motivation. If he fails here, he'll have trouble making much elsewhere. Hopefully this means he'll earn some playing time and have a career year. :)

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
... with another team.

I'm also surprised that Skinner would take a non-guaranteed deal.

Are the Suns still waiting on PJ?

nash2stouds

Reaction score
I like. I'd feel a lot better if we got a PF who could force Marion to the 3, which is where he belongs....

D'Antoni like to use Marion's quickness at the 4 vs. the bigger players, a big reason for his success. He is less effective as a 3 because it is easier for players to match up with him.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm guessing the issue is the guarantee for the second year.

As for playing Hunter minutes, I think that is a real possibility. In 2004-05, Hunter averaged 13.8 minutes a game: 4.6 ppg on 61.4% shooting, 3.0 rpg, and 1.34 blocks per game. Statistically, I'd look for more rebounding and fewer blocks, but the real key is that Skinner is stronger and can actually fight in the low post.

For Skinner to get more minutes, he will have to figure out a way to contribute on offense. But at least it will give the team someone with some strength besides Amare under the basket.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
if he plays as much as hunter that'd be awesome i think.

what do you think the minutes breakdown will be this season (for a healthy team)?

i'm thinking 8 man rotation

forecasted minutes and (minutes played/gm last year)

marion 36 (37.6)
raja 36 (37.4)
amare 34 (32.8)
nash 34 (35.3)
barbosa 32 (32.7)
hill 30 (30.9)
diaw 28 (31.2)
skinner 10 (22.7) - replace with PJ if he signs

i think this is what they'd like to run with a healthy team non-blowout. skinner's numbers go up in foul situations, otherwise this is what they're running i think. what do you think?

i also see how skinner is a dropoff from KT, but not THAT significant. certainly not $15M significant, which is what it would have cost to keep KT.

i also think that with skinner, tucker, dj, the suns could weather a short term injury stint without falling apart.

sunsfn

Reaction score

I agree, I can not understand this deal. Sign him and get it over with, he apparently wants to play here and is the best available right now for a cheap contract!

fordronken

Reaction score
forecasted minutes and (minutes played/gm last year)

marion 36 (37.6)
raja 36 (37.4)
amare 34 (32.8)
nash 34 (35.3)
barbosa 32 (32.7)
hill 30 (30.9)
diaw 28 (31.2)
skinner 10 (22.7) - replace with PJ if he signs

I'd like to drop 6 minutes from Raja, 2 from Nash and 5 from Hill and give them to Tucker. I think that if he got 10+ minutes a game during the regular season, he'd be a helpful contributor in the playoffs.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
I'd like to drop 6 minutes from Raja, 2 from Nash and 5 from Hill and give them to Tucker. I think that if he got 10+ minutes a game during the regular season, he'd be a helpful contributor in the playoffs.

scratch 'in the playoffs' and replace with 'vs. dallas & SA'. the rest of it is kinda blah wouldn't ya say ;)

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
D'Antoni like to use Marion's quickness at the 4 vs. the bigger players, a big reason for his success. He is less effective as a 3 because it is easier for players to match up with him.

Exactly...Marion's skills mirror the 4 position far better and whether he likes it or not he is a much more effective 4.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree about point (a). In regard to point (b), I think Skinner is more than confident in his NBA ability and probably believes he can latch onto another team's roster very easily for the veteran minimum. I believe at this stage in his career, Skinner is looking for a home. I hope the Suns give it to him.