Game thoughts

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1) anybody else think Clement's contract looks worse every week? Little is good but AC wasn't even touching him out there, Little's heat was a factor on so many plays including the fumble.

2) Beginning to get concerned with Pace, no pressure today and he spent large chunks of the game on the sideline for DJ at RDE.

3) Dexter's fumble was just a killer, looked like we may have a chance for a FG and then they get one.

4) I still disagree with FOX, we should have gone for it instead of punting when we pinned them on the 1, we had the momentum of the KO return and the missed FG, 4th and 2 feet, go for it!

5) BLake's TO's have been so poorly timed it's unreal. Playcall didn't work because Little beat AC again but you just have to hang onto the ball there.

6) Defense just couldn't get the Rams off the field, tough to watch all those 3rd down conversions.

Next week is a must win, if we lose that one everyone will start talking about playing for next year.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to say about #1 Russ because Clement literall shut down KGB last week against GB and I think hes a better pass rusher than Little!

#2 I think Pace was hurt or has some sort of injury because Wakefield was actually playing in his position for most off the second half.....Pace came back in for a series and then was out again almost like an "Ill give it a try and see if I can play with it" O. Pace is the best OT in football so either way Im not shocked! This was Paces worst game!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith

4) I still disagree with FOX, we should have gone for it instead of punting when we pinned them on the 1, we had the momentum of the KO return and the missed FG, 4th and 2 feet, go for it!

5) BLake's TO's have been so poorly timed it's unreal. Playcall didn't work because Little beat AC again but you just have to hang onto the ball there.

6) Defense just couldn't get the Rams off the field, tough to watch all those 3rd down conversions.

Next week is a must win, if we lose that one everyone will start talking about playing for next year.

Mac made the correct call. We had a ton of time left and were only down by 10. Blake's fumble was the killer.

I knew our defense would get eaten alive against the Rams. I'm surprised how poorly our offense looked. Too many penalties and turnovers again.

jmr667

Random Poster
Reaction score

I agree with you about number 4 especially because of number 6. The D had done nothing to show they could stop the Rams regardless of where they started on the field. May as well go for it on 4th and try for another score. There was no way in hell the Cards were going to win a field postition battle with the D looking like that.

All in all, this team looks like they are 2-4 DLinemen and 1-2 CBs away from having a competive team.
They have to play zone because they can't match up one on one, but the DL can't get any pressure to keep the zones from getting picked apart.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Game thoughts

Originally posted by MadCardDisease
Mac made the correct call. We had a ton of time left and were only down by 10. Blake's fumble was the killer.

I knew our defense would get eaten alive against the Rams. I'm surprised how poorly our offense looked. Too many penalties and turnovers again.

I disagreed with punting the ball there, precisely because our D was getting eaten alive. We had run THREE plays in the third quarter! We had no realistic chance of getting the ball back quickly. They had yet to punt!

Now, the punt worked out as well as it could. We forced them to punt out of the endzone. And, although we should've made them punt again, we did get good field position.

But, we blow yet another block, Blake tries to make a play he shouldn't be making, and the game is over. There's just no way Little should come in scot free on any play call. Either Clement should've had him, or Hodgins should've chipped him at the very least.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I just reviewed the play(God I love TiVo!) and it appeared that the line was blocking to their left. Clement went after the Tackle and Dishman headed towards the other tackle. Hodgins went after Little but didn't slow him down and he had a straight line to Blake.

I believe it was a poorly designed and executed play and a great play by Little. Blake tried to do to much with nothing. He should have just taken a sack.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
1) anybody else think Clement's contract looks worse every week? Little is good but AC wasn't even touching him out there, Little's heat was a factor on so many plays including the fumble.

Yes, AC is looking like he still has a bum arm, and is unable to concentrate. I really hope that it's due to pain, because if it's just mental I would sue for his signing bonus back.

2) Beginning to get concerned with Pace, no pressure today and he spent large chunks of the game on the sideline for DJ at RDE.

Pace is a rookie, and has faced his fourth straight All-Pro Left Tackle. I see glimmers of hope in his game. Once he "gets on it", and shows that he does deserve to be in the NFL, we will all forget what Simeon was able to do for us.

3) Dexter's fumble was just a killer, looked like we may have a chance for a FG and then they get one.

That fumble popped our collective balloon! I was speechless when that happened! Then, I wanted to puke!

I agree with Coachs Mac's call. We were still only down by 10, and we dominated with our Defense throughout the second half (at least at that point). Sound strategy in my book.

Word! The second time during the game that I wanted to puke!

Bulger took what he was given, we continued to guard against the deep ball and the out routes. The "umbrella" coverage funneled everything inside. Both Holt and Bruce LIVE for the inside slant. What I saw today reminded me a lot of Rice and Taylor for the Niners. That killed us!

The only reason the Dallas game is must win for, is the fact that it is Dallas! I hate those guys, and hope that we can kick the snot out of them. But, I would settle with just a simple road victory. If the Cards lose this game, I will be extra-special pissed.

But after today's game, I feel that the Cardinals have zero chance at the playoffs. This will be an extra 16 pre-season games in my mind now. I will look for the little things, and lose it when they win. I will still watch every game and cheer my ass off for them to do well, but I now have zero expectations.

I roller-coaster ended for me today, now it's just a merry-go-round!

I just hope that we can build something, but this will end for Coach Mac just like it did for Coach Bugel. We will go on a nice run in the second half, but ultimately it will end with a coaching purge. As much as I love Coach Mac, Joe Greene, and the rest of our pitiful little band, they've all earned it!

Last edited:

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
No doubt Blakes's fumble was the game. As horrible as the D line is we were still only down 10 with 10 minutes to go, good field position, and even some mo. If Cards drive for a score and its 23-20 with 5 minutes to go who knows what happens. But then that would not be the Cardinals we know and love. Five penalties in the first quarter (although the second grounding call was bogus) hurt and the free fg at the half - well it was deja vu all over again. Rams are beatable next time at SDS.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't disagree with anyone that Blake should have taken the sack, but there were 3-4 plays in the game where he had that same choice and most seemed to involve Little. THe 2nd grounding call was BS but just way too many plays where AC got beat. HE did handle KGB last week but Little ate him up today.

We couldn't get a break either, there were 2 plays on the TD drive that epitomized it. Boldin gets stopped 1 yard short and the replay you can see Jones practically tackled by the DB on the other side of the field, he actually threw the DB down in reaction, no call. Then on the TD run Rams are offsides and they don't call that either.

My take on saying no punt is exactly what others said, we couldn't stop their offense for most of this game, although it worked out, at that point there's all the momentum swinging to us, I just don't think you can play conservative with our defense you have to use your big OL.

Really frustrating Jones was blocking so much he wasn't involved, Shipp barely saw the field, penalties. The fumbles by Dexter and Blake were just killers. I assume we had a deep ball called on the Blake fumble?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't disagree with anyone that Blake should have taken the sack, but there were 3-4 plays in the game where he had that same choice and most seemed to involve Little. THe 2nd grounding call was BS but just way too many plays where AC got beat. HE did handle KGB last week but Little ate him up today.

We couldn't get a break either, there were 2 plays on the TD drive that epitomized it. Boldin gets stopped 1 yard short and the replay you can see Jones practically tackled by the DB on the other side of the field, he actually threw the DB down in reaction, no call. Then on the TD run Rams are offsides and they don't call that either.

My take on saying no punt is exactly what others said, we couldn't stop their offense for most of this game, although it worked out, at that point there's all the momentum swinging to us, I just don't think you can play conservative with our defense you have to use your big OL.

Really frustrating Jones was blocking so much he wasn't involved, Shipp barely saw the field, penalties. The fumbles by Dexter and Blake were just killers. I assume we had a deep ball called on the Blake fumble?

I just wanted to point out that on the fumble by Blake, AC was blocking the Tackle and didn't get beat by Little.

I'm glad you mention Jones Blocking. Did you see him open that hole for Emmitt's TD. Key play there by Jones.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
I just wanted to point out that on the fumble by Blake, AC was blocking the Tackle and didn't get beat by Little.

I'm glad you mention Jones Blocking. Did you see him open that hole for Emmitt's TD. Key play there by Jones.

We don't know what the blocking scheme was, maybe Clement was not supposed to be blocking down. Anyhow, I'm sure the call was not to leave Little untouched.

Or, maybe Little was supposed to bite down so hard on the run fake, that he wasn't supposed to be blocked. Instead, he goes straight for Blake.

We just don't know unless the coaches are asked about it after the game.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
We don't know what the blocking scheme was, maybe Clement was not supposed to be blocking down. Anyhow, I'm sure the call was not to leave Little untouched.

Or, maybe Little was supposed to bite down so hard on the run fake, that he wasn't supposed to be blocked. Instead, he goes straight for Blake.

We just don't know unless the coaches are asked about it after the game.

I watched the replay several times and it clearly looked like the line was blocking down to the left. It could have been a blown blocking assignment but like you said we will never know unless the coaches talk about it.

After watching the play it looked like if Hodgins would have slowed Little down just a little the play might have worked. Then all Blake has to do is lob the ball over Little to a wide open Hodgins. As it turned out Hodgins didn't block Little, Blaked turned around from the play fake and had Little right in his face.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Russ,

After replaying the game and keying on Clement I have to disagree with you on Clement. I thought he did a good job against Little. I could only count 2 times where Clement let Little legitimately get the corner and pressure Blake to throw the ball early. Even then Blake was able to make completions.

As for run blocking it appeard that Clement was locked up on his man almost every run play until the play was over.

dylanbw

Registered
Reaction score
major whiff

Russ,

You are usually right on target, but twice referring to Little "beating" Clement on the fumble play is a major whiff on your part. Even a cursury glance at the play would show that AC crashed down hard on the DT, apparently with the design for Hodgins to chip Little on the way out to the flat (Larry Centers was the King of that play). Perhaps AC misred his assignment, but it certainly was not like he went "mano y mano" with Little on the play and got beat as you had claimed. To me, Hodgins (who is usualy very solid) just didn't get enough of Little to slow him down. Blake still needs to hold on to the ball, because that fumble destroyed any chance at victory.

While I agree that Pace has not done much, I certainly will not write him off after just 4 games. Our pass rush in general is completely non-existent. Teams are batting 1.000 at picking up any of our sorry blitz attempts. This MUST be improved!

At least Levar Fisher knocked the snot out of Arlen Harris. McKinnon had a nice pop on Gordon (I belive) before that, but of course it was 8 yards downfield.

Must defeat the Boyz, b/c they are evil. After Emmitt gets his revenge, Shipp should start the rest of the season. At this stage of their careers Shipp simply brings more to the table, in my opinion.

Dylan

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: major whiff

Originally posted by dylanbw
Russ,

You are usually right on target, but twice referring to Little "beating" Clement on the fumble play is a major whiff on your part. Even a cursury glance at the play would show that AC crashed down hard on the DT, apparently with the design for Hodgins to chip Little on the way out to the flat (Larry Centers was the King of that play). Perhaps AC misred his assignment, but it certainly was not like he went "mano y mano" with Little on the play and got beat as you had claimed. To me, Hodgins (who is usualy very solid) just didn't get enough of Little to slow him down. Blake still needs to hold on to the ball, because that fumble destroyed any chance at victory.

Watching it live I assumed he'd beaten AC, you're right that he didn't.

There were other plays where Little got to Blake that I'm also blaming on AC.

My main point was we're paying great RT money to a good RT, he's got to be able to keep people off the QB but it's mainly a reaction to how ineffective we were when the Rams made it obvious they were blitzing and we couldn't pick it up, wasn't just AC's fault.

And Blake did NOT play well at all which I readily admit.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I assume we had a deep ball called on the Blake fumble?

I thought that at first as well. But I saw a quote in the Pub this morning, unless I read it wrong, that seemed like Blake was questioning the play call. He made some point about needing to be able to smell blood in the water and go for the throat in that scenario, and not make the call that was made when he fumbled it.

Did I misread that?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Beginning to get concerned with Pace, no pressure today and he spent large chunks of the game on the sideline for DJ at RDE.
Pace was being wiped out on the StL power sweep/cutback left. When he was replaced by DJ on the right side, we were a little bit better at stopping it.

No doubt, Little got the best of Clement more than a tad. But the Blake fumble was the result of Little coming off the right edge around the outside of Shelton. According to Monday reports, they expected Little to crash down inside and out of the play rather than take the outside route. At best they figured Hodgins could chip him. It looked to me that Blake was totally unaware of Little's outside route, didn't realize he was coming and pivoted right into him.

Regardless of what happened and who did what - I'm getting increasingly frustrated that other teams outscheme us, but we seldom outscheme the other guys.

Cardiologist

Veteran
Reaction score
There are many reasons why we lost. Turnovers is still killing us but the biggest reason for us losing is that we were grossly out-coached.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by JeffGollin
Beginning to get concerned with Pace, no pressure today and he spent large chunks of the game on the sideline for DJ at RDE.
No doubt, Little got the best of Clement more than a tad. But the Blake fumble was the result of Little coming off the right edge around the outside of Shelton. According to Monday reports, they expected Little to crash down inside and out of the play rather than take the outside route. At best they figured Hodgins could chip him. It looked to me that Blake was totally unaware of Little's outside route, didn't realize he was coming and pivoted right into him.

You meant "outside of Clement" right? I reviewed that play several times. Clement blocked down on the Tackle and Little did take an outside route. Hodgins looked like he was going to Chip Little and at the last minute broke off into the flat allowing Little a straigth shot at Blake. If Hodgins slows Little down just a tad then Blake has the time to lob the ball to Hodgins. As it turns out, Blake made his play fake and then turned to his left only to find Little right in his face.

Again I really don't think that Clement did as bad as some of you think.