Game Thread - Suns @ Lakers - Sunday April 30, 2006 **12:30 pm**

sunsfn

Reaction score
The suns backs are against the wall, they will win this game!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
LA Lakers
Apr 30, 12:30 PM
Staples Center
620 KTAR
ABC

PLAYOFF SERIES: Western Conference first round; Lakers lead 2-1.
Kobe Bryant isn't scoring like he did in the regular season, but the Los Angeles Lakers keep winning.
Using a game plan that has worked thus far, the Lakers look to go up 3-1 when they host the Phoenix Suns in their best-of-seven first round series.
Bryant averaged an NBA-high 35.4 points in the regular season, but hasn't come close to that in three games this series. Instead, the Lakers have been moving the ball around.
Bryant is averaging 22.7 points in the playoffs and had only 17 points in Los Angeles' 99-92 win in Game 3 on Friday night, but the other four starters all scored in double figures -- the second game this series the Lakers have done that.
Los Angeles had only three games in the regular season in which all starters scored in double figures.
"From the start of the series, we have just been playing extremely well and are moving the ball around really well," Bryant said. "We have just evolved into this from the start of the season. It has been a process.
"We are just playing so well together."
Bryant's 17 points tied for his second-lowest total of the season and was his lowest output since he had 11 against Toronto on Dec. 7. He added seven assists, his most since March 17, when he had 11 against New Jersey.
"There are times and moments and there will be one probably in these playoffs before they're over where he is going to be doing the offensive work," Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. "Right now, I think he is moving the ball and doing the right thing for us, getting everyone involved in the offense."
Lamar Odom had 15 points and 17 rebounds and Luke Walton had 17 points and 10 rebounds as the Lakers dominated the smaller Suns on the boards. Los Angeles had a 16-3 edge on the offensive glass in Game 3 and outrebounded Phoenix 53-34 overall.
"They were trying to outrun us and we are trying to pound them inside, so that is the way it's going to go," Walton said. "So far, we have come out on top in two of three. They are not going to change their style and we are not going to change ours."
The Suns don't plan to change much for Game 4, instead trying to focus on areas where they can beat the bigger, taller Lakers.
"Our strength might be one thing, but it is not in the rebounding department," Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said. "We aren't going to be any bigger on Sunday, we aren't going to eat anything.
"They will probably outrebound us then. We just have to beat them in other areas."
Steve Nash had 17 points and 11 assists, and the 6-foot-3 point guard tied Shawn Marion for the team lead with seven rebounds.
"I don't think we are believing in ourselves, and we're playing tentative," Nash said. "We gave up offensive rebounds and missed easy layups.
"We don't have the size inside to match up with them, but that doesn't mean we can't win the series."
Phoenix has come back from a 2-1 deficit twice in team history, the last time coming in 1993, when the Suns rebounded to beat the Lakers 3-2 in a best-of-five first-round series.

Game 5 is Tuesday night in Phoenix.

HOW THEY GOT HERE: Suns - 2nd seed. Lakers - 7th seed

PROBABLE STARTERS: Suns - F Tim Thomas, F Marion, C Boris Diaw, G Raja Bell, G Nash. Lakers - F Odom, F Walton, C Kwame Brown, G Bryant, G Smush Parker.

PLAYOFF TEAM LEADERS:
Suns - Nash, 22.0 ppg and 10.0 apg; Thomas, 10.0 rpg.
Lakers - Bryant, 22.7 ppg and 5.7 apg; Odom, 12.7 rpg.

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Must win, I'm nervous as heck already...

But I'll have my Amare jersey, my Suns hate and my beer wrapped in a Suns coozy and be cheering them on like always.

Gotta win today!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I was so frustrated with the last game that I told myself I wasnt going to watch todays game. My blood pressure cant take this anymore.

I'll probably cave and watch it, though. :thud:

jibikao

Reaction score
WastedFate said:
I was so frustrated with the last game that I told myself I wasnt going to watch todays game. My blood pressure cant take this anymore.

I'll probably cave and watch it, though. :thud:

Same here. I wasn't sure if I want to watch the game or not. It's too intense for me. I couldn't sleep at all Friday night. :(

JJC Jr

Reaction score
GOOD NEWS:
Big Red Walton is in Chicago for Bulls Heat right now..
Thank god!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If we see a repeat of the horrible performance by the Suns and the refs I am going to end up with my foot inserted into my television. This will most likely result in a brief hospital stay and several sessions of therapy.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I think the refs will be kinder this game. Those other guys were looking to extend the series IMO.

For the Suns, it's the same story as before--Barbosa, Diaw and Marion have to turn things around, particularly on offense. We'll see whether they manage to do so.

I'll be watching to see whether the Suns shadow Kobe on defense like before.

Here we go! :thumbup:

jibikao

Reaction score
James Jone starts. Interesting move.

Up by 4pt now.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm watching, in spite of myself. The hero so far is James Jones. Nice to see someone new appear to care.

lildyce504

Reaction score
Hopefully the coach has made some adjustments....doubt it since I see Barbosa out there.

jibikao

Reaction score
We are less hesitating now but we still can't hold them.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
JR with the start, showing what Tim Thomas hasn't been giving the Suns. ;)

The refs are in payback mode for the last two, calling it very tight. It's up to the Suns to take advantage...

jibikao

Reaction score
How come Walton plays this well against us?! We are giving up a lot of size by putting Barbosa on him.

lildyce504

Reaction score
jibikao said:
How come Walton plays this well against us?! We are giving up a lot of size by putting Barbosa on him.

Thats the reason. Our coach doesn't think about defensive matchups at all. If he did, we would've switched Marion to someone else or we'd be playing Grant more.

jibikao

Reaction score
1pt lead. I like our gameplan so far. Just keep attacking.

jibikao

Reaction score
lildyce504 said:
Thats the reason. Our coach doesn't think about defensive matchups at all. If he did, we would've switched Marion to someone else or we'd be playing Grant more.

Walton has caused some troubles for the past 3 games. He is shooting at very high % and he is good at passing. I won't mind if we put a bigger guy on him to stop that.

Don't we want Kobe to shoot the ball more? Then stop other guys!

lildyce504

Reaction score
jibikao said:
Walton has caused some troubles for the past 3 games. He is shooting at very high % and he is good at passing. I won't mind if we put a bigger guy on him to stop that.

Don't we want Kobe to shoot the ball more? Then stop other guys!

Yea we need to think matchups! We really need to hire an assistant coach who thinks defense. Something like a defensive coord. in football.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
you know barbosa is terrified again, this guy baffles me, he is so obessed with his home land watching him yatta yatta, I hope they disown him so he can f'ing move on from his making san paulo proud handcuffs.

jibikao

Reaction score
lildyce504 said:
Yea we need to think matchups! We really need to hire an assistant coach who thinks defense. Something like a defensive coord. in football.

Well, we've got one on Kurt Thomas. We got him for the defense.

Barbosa is shooting horrible... again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05