Gameday: Cards @ Patriots on NFL Network

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm think I must have went in a time machine at some point today, because I'm pretty sure it's 2003. I just can't see Dave McGinnis.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
A couple of notes to go with everyone else.

1-We really missed Bryant Johnson tonight and it showed. Fitz, Boldin, Johnson, Walters & McCoy are our receivers as I saw no one else that should be on this team. Every other receiver seemed clueless.

2-Navarre is bad...really bad. We need a vet for a backup.

3-If we are going to struggle, lets struggle running the ball. I understand that we want to throw but this is the time were we need to get this run blocking thing down. The preseason is where we need our o-line to gel and it isn't happening because we aren't trying to ru the ball.

4-Defense struggled getting off the field but that is to be expected in preseason against an effective west-coast offense. We didn't game plan extensively for the Pats and it showed. I liked our tackling better tonight and am not too worried about our defense though having Dansby would help.

OP
OP
Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
You know what really sucks..... There are members of this board at the game....

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
Yeah it sucks, just a preseason game, at halftime the score was about right.

13-3

If we played them in their house in the regular season I'd expect to lose that game, everyone would.

They are the real deal again, tough, well coached team, in their house we'd have as good a chance as anybody, which is not much.

Crazy that without a great receiveing corps. they can do so well. I think Bill's system has been figured out, so I doubt they win deep in the playoffs. THey certainly have 100X the depth we do.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
dogpoo32 said:
Crazy that without a great receiveing corps. they can do so well. I think Bill's system has been figured out, so I doubt they win deep in the playoffs. THey certainly have 100X the depth we do.

Yeah I wouldn't expect them to win the Super Bowl but then again they've won it when people thought that before.

They are just tough, they just don't make mistakes, very solid in everything, which means if you don't bring your best game you will lose every time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
blindseyed said:
Yea.... Why waste your time, just take games off. Like the Pats... they've only won Super Bowls...;)

In week two during the 2004 preseason the Bengals beat the eventual Super Bowl Champion Patriots 31-3 in Cincinnati.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Navarre's highlights:

1 for 8 passing
12.5% completion
10 yards
We are guaranteed 1.3 yards everytime Navarre passes. Well unless he fumbles or throws an interception which is like every other attempt. (believe it or not our rushing average is better than that!)

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
In week two during the 2004 preseason the Bengals beat the eventual Super Bowl Champion Patriots 31-3 in Cincinnati.

If we win every preseason game that mojo isn't good either, preseason means nothing, just nothing.

The most you can get out of it is individual play and that's sketchy at best.

I think you can say Leinart looked good for the time he had to get ready and I think that's about all you get positive out of this game.

Again, preseason just does not mean anything, you can see we have problems running the ball, other than that I just don't see much other stuff to get out of this.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I now know why Denny was screaming and cussing in practice in Flag this week. Sharpe talked about how big the players were talking to him yesterday. They clearly were too full of themselves. They didn't prepare well (practiced inside a lot this week, which means they don't go hard) and a physical football team handed them their asses.

All that matters is 9/10. That's the biggest game since the playoff game in Minnesota.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Chopper0080 said:
3-If we are going to struggle, lets struggle running the ball. I understand that we want to throw but this is the time were we need to get this run blocking thing down. The preseason is where we need our o-line to gel and it isn't happening because we aren't trying to ru the ball.

I think this is a very very good point.

We know we can pass. I dont care if we go 3 and out the whole preseason its time we start to, Run, Run, Run, and Run some more. Get this OL used to it and the new scheme, get this OL used to the run blockers mentality, and so on.

Our passing attempts should never be more then our rushing attempts in the preseason.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I think I now know why Denny was screaming and cussing in practice in Flag this week. Sharpe talked about how big the players were talking to him yesterday. They clearly were too full of themselves. They didn't prepare well (practiced inside a lot this week, which means they don't go hard) and a physical football team handed them their asses.

All that matters is 9/10. That's the biggest game since the playoff game in Minnesota.

This is one of those lessons you have to learn over and over, you win the game by intensity, either you match the other guys or you lose, this isn't the NBA where you can out talent teams and jog through a game, this is the NFL, you aren't fired up and ready to go, you die.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

Atlanta got their butts handed to them today as well against GB.

For the most part it was 1st team against first team when GB was doing it.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

We know we can pass. I dont care if we go 3 and out the whole preseason its time we start to, Run, Run, Run, and Run some more. Get this OL used to it and the new scheme, get this OL used to the run blockers mentality, and so on.

Our passing attempts should never be more then our rushing attempts in the preseason.

Makes me kind of wonder if DG is going to seriously commit to trying to run the ball more this year? We can't just run it a few times a game and give up on it when it doesn't work or when we get behind only a TD.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RichDawg said:
How many times is Sterling Sharpe going to say "decisive" when describing the quarterback? Anyways, I'm curious to see if Navarre will get some snaps in the 4th qtr.

Sterling Sharpe is decisive with his vocabulary.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
joeshmo said:

:thumbup:

I'd rather see them go down in flames trying to run the ball than pass it during the preseason.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
The feeling I'm getting so far is that this is going to be interesting as a season, lot's of dynamics on this one.

Edge not playing in preseason much is a huge mistake IMO, it may have worked in Indy where everyone was on the same page, here it's lethal.

He has to get more reps and I agree we should run much more than we do, even if we fail at it but to be fair if we do that our time of possession will go down so much you won't see anything anyway.

I want to see how they respond to this, I expect to see more effort next week, much more if not... eh we can always fall back on the ole standby.

Wait til next year.

:bang: :D

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
I'm think I must have went in a time machine at some point today, because I'm pretty sure it's 2003. I just can't see Dave McGinnis.

Didn't the '03 go 4-0 in preseason? I feel better about losing this one now.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jasper said:
Navarre's highlights:

1 for 8 passing
12.5% completion
10 yards
We are guaranteed 1.3 yards everytime Navarre passes. Well unless he fumbles or throws an interception which is like every other attempt. (believe it or not our rushing average is better than that!)

I don't know how or why but Navarre actually gets worse each year. As a rookie he completed something like 14 of 15 passes in the preseason. I can't see him staying in the league beyond his rookie contract.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assface said:
I don't know how or why but Navarre actually gets worse each year. As a rookie he completed something like 14 of 15 passes in the preseason. I can't see him staying in the league beyond his rookie contract.

We shoulda kept Josh and let Navarre go.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Assface said:
Sterling Sharpe is decisive with his vocabulary.

I particularly liked "The Pats have really handled the Cards handledly tonight."

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Assface said:

DG slays me, we are excited about John Navarre, we feel comfortable with John Navarre...... Sign Matt now G@#!$!$#!$#.... he he.

The kiss of death for a DG QB is when he talks you up..... lethal.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Assface said:

Maybe Navarre is color blind.

The only thing I saw out there that really mattered to me was that the Cards LBers looked really slow and never really filled any holes. NE's TE's had 8 catches for 111 yards.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Maybe Navarre is color blind.

The only thing I saw out there that really mattered to me was that the Cards LBers looked really slow and never really filled any holes. NE's TE's had 8 catches for 111 yards.

That bothers me a lot because they're supposed to be undersized but fast. This is a defense built around speed. I was hoping Blackstock would be better in his second year. To the best of my knowledge he played in a 3-4 in college and his only real skill was rushing the QB from a standing position. After a year in the NFL he should have developed some coverage skills.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05