Gandhi´s Cardinals mock v. 2.0

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This will be my final Cardinals mockdraft for this year. I tried to balance what I think will happen and what I would like to happen. One of the things I am quite certain of is that Bruce Arians uses smokescreens a lot more than Steve Keim. One example is that Arians said that he sees Levi Brown as an elite tackle and that he thinks the offensive line is one piece away from being very good. Steve Keim on the other hand said that he thought Bobby Massie could be due to a breakout season. The difference, to me, is that Arians said those things to the national media whereas Keim said it on the Big Red Rage. Obviously the word probably gets out anyway but is it absolutely guaranteed that every team has heard what Arians said which is not the case with Keim’s statement. Also, there is no way in Hades that Arians sees Brown as an elite tackle or the offensive line as close to being really good.

This mockdraft is not according to my own rankings. It is according to various analyst’ rankings. Furthermore I am pretty sure that Arians would like to draft a runningback but I think Keim will overrule him due to the higher value at the different spots.

Enough said. On to the scenario.

1. Eric Fisher, offensive tackle, Central Michigan

I think it’s likely that Fisher could be available at #7. He didn’t attend a big program and players from lower levels often slide a bit. I could even see Lane Johnson going before him, mostly due to the same reason but also because his ceiling cut be even higher than Fisher’s. I think Arians, Keim and Licht are very high on Fisher and I think they would see it as a good problem to have more than two quality offensive tackles. I have no idea if they would move Levi Brown or Bobby Massie to guard but neither do I think they care if Fisher is on the board. Actually, Fisher has played both left and right tackle as well as right guard at Central Michigan so even he could end up at guard. That’s not likely and personally I would move Levi Brown inside. I think that could provide the team with two bookend tackles for ages and upgrade the interior a great deal.

2. Matt Elam, safety, Florida

Elam plays with extremely high intensity and sometimes his aggressiveness takes him completely out of a play. I think the biggest thing with him will be to control that ferocity so that he always uses it to his advantage. On the other hand you don’t want to change it too much as it is because of that high level of energy that he is the player that he is. He definitely has the ability to be a game-changer and a leader of the secondary, if not the whole defense.

3. Jamie Collins, outside linebacker, Southern Miss

I thought very long and hard about taking a pass rusher with the second pick. I think it is very important to get someone that the opponent has to account for on any play. However, to me the pass rushers with good value at #38 are more technicians and power-players as opposed to Collins who is a speed rusher. I think Acho and Schofield are really good players but none of them has that incredible burst and speed that can take a front seven to the next level. Collins has that. At times he was absolutely dominant at Southern Miss with his great acceleration, ability to dip the shoulder and turn the corner and his at least above average strength. Playing at a lower level, he is naturally raw in some aspects but that’s where Tom Pratt comes in. Collins was the most explosive linebacker at the Combine according to his numbers and I think he might have a very bright future.

4. David Quessenberry, offensive tackle, San Jose State

I actually think Quessenberry might have a future at offensive tackle. That’s not why he is the pick though, because I also think he can play all three interior positions. At times he struggles with leverage but for his height he does play with good pad level and he uses his hands very well. On top of that he is a very intelligent player who understands coverage-packages, blitz line-ups and how to coordinate his play with the other linemen. I think he could replace Sendlein in a matter of time but at the very least he should be a valuable backup.

5. Michael Williams, tight end, Alabama

Tight ends are obviously a big part of what Arians like to do on offense but I don’t think the team needs another big-time receiving threat from the position. Housler is still a work in progress but he has made strides and I believe in him. The team does need a complement though and Williams could easily be that guy. He is like an extra offensive lineman as he is a very skilled blocker, but he also has some receiving skills, so while he can run the shorts routes, Housler can go deeper. Actually, I believe Williams has never dropped a pass in the end zone so he a pretty good weapon in that area.

6. Ace Sanders, wide receiver, South Carolina

Sanders were the primary receiver at South Carolina last season. He didn’t drop a single pass. Only Aaron Dobson from Marshall could match that statistic last season. I think Arians wants this type of receiver in his offense. Not that it would be expected of Sanders to catch a lot of passes but he can stretch the defense, make defenders respect the deep pass and thus create space to Fitz, Floyd, Roberts, Housler and all the others.

7. Bruce Taylor, inside linebacker, Virginia Tech

At the Combine Taylor posted a faster three cone drill than Patrick Willis, Karlos Dansby and David Harris. He posted a faster 20 yard shuttle than Patrick Willis, Karlos Dansby and NaVorro Bowman. That would mean Taylor can play inside linebacker as he can obviously move in tight spaces in addition to his psychical style of play on ability to play in traffic which he has shown at Virginia Tech.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
7. Bruce Taylor, inside linebacker, Virginia Tech

At the Combine Taylor posted a faster three cone drill than Patrick Willis, Karlos Dansby and David Harris. He posted a faster 20 yard shuttle than Patrick Willis, Karlos Dansby and NaVorro Bowman. That would mean Taylor can play inside linebacker as he can obviously move in tight spaces in addition to his psychical style of play on ability to play in traffic which he has shown at Virginia Tech.

Good find. I've heard that the 3 cone drill is a major indicator of talent for linebackers. Sam Acho, I believe, had the fastest 3 cone drill of all the OLBs at the combine in 2011.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
This draft would please me very much. Covers every area I see as a weakness.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Good draft. I really like Elam in the second. He is one physical player, I think he would take over Wilson's spot well. I think there is a very real possibility that Fisher and Elam are both gone when the Cards' picks come around.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That is a really good mock, IMO.

I would be happy with that.