Garnett rumors?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yeah, of course you left out the part of my post

Sorry, thought I covered those. :p My opinion is that Garnett's trade value right now is not significantly higher than O'Neal's was a year ago. In fact it might be lower. You're talking about a "superstar" who didn't even make the playoffs last season.

If you think Shawn Marion and Q would have been a nice package please look at what it just took to get rid of Q.

Meant to address this before -- what was so bad about the Richardson deal? Thomas is a better player on a better contract. The #21 pick? Big whoop.

I definitely agree that Garnett won't be coming to Phoenix. However, I do think it's possible that he will be traded this summer (which I first said weeks ago), and I also think that, if he is traded, it will be for a package that strikes us as surprisingly modest.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
Marion and JJ for Kevin garnet :D The answer is "Yes Please" Can you imagine having Stoudemire and Garnett on the same team as Nash? It would be awesome, you could start manufacturing the championship rings in October.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
It will never happen. Amare is our superstar and go-to guy. It would cause too much tension between the two. Garnett wants to be the man and so does Amare.

frdbtr

Registered
Reaction score
JPlay said:
It will never happen. Amare is our superstar and go-to guy. It would cause too much tension between the two. Garnett wants to be the man and so does Amare.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I just don't get the attitude that someone has to be "the man" on a team. What ever happened to just winning championships. How in the world did teams survive all of the ego's back in the day before we had 30 NBA teams? Boston and the Lakers back in the 80's had 10 players that could have started and probably Starred on most of the teams that we have today. You are right though, I would say "no thanks" if Amare and KG were too selfish to play together but Frankly I think that they would figure it out.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frankly, I think Minnesota would be stupid to trade Garnett. The only reason they sucked last year was because Cassel and Sprewell are selfish asses that disrupted the team. Remember that was the same team that nearly made it to the finals the year before. If they are let go and they pick-up a couple of free agents like Jay Williams and Michael Finley and maybe make a small trade they will be right back in the playoffs.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
jplays exactly right.....Amare isnt selfish but these guys are worried about their legacies...This is his team and getting Garnett would have to make amare a little anxious...That said if hes on board i do the deal in a second. But its all about Amare guys.....he is the 'chise whatever he wants he gets.....

and the post that said i just accidently opend the door to fantasy land.....priceless

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
JPlay said:

The thing is, KG doesn't have this Kobe like attitude where the ball needs to be in his hands at all times. I am not sure where people are getting that from.

He is a guy that loves to pass the ball, and hates to take the last shot. He is a far cry from a superstar that needs to dominate the ball to be effective - and he doesn't demand it either.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
The worst thing about this trade is that they play the same position. It would be great to have them man the 4 and 5 spot together, but imagine it being crunch time in a game we have to win. Who do we go to.... Amare on the pick and roll, Garnett on the post-up. Garnett is a former MVP who may be the best if not the second best player in this league. Of course he's going to want the ball in crunch time. Of course he's going to need his touches in the game. It would be very difficult to have two 25+ scorers both playing in the post.

OP
OP
T

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
JPlay said:
Who do we go to.... Amare on the pick and roll, Garnett on the post-up. Garnett is a former MVP who may be the best if not the second best player in this league. Of course he's going to want the ball in crunch time. Of course he's going to need his touches in the game. It would be very difficult to have two 25+ scorers both playing in the post.

But Garnett doesn't really play in the post. He plays in the high center, mostly facing up and taking spot up shots.

Not to mention Garnett can play any position 3-5, and has done so throughout his career.

Garnett would definitely not demand the ball in crunch time. That has been his biggest knock - he doesn't want the last shot.

sunsfn

Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
The thing is, KG doesn't have this Kobe like attitude where the ball needs to be in his hands at all times. I am not sure where people are getting that from.

He is a guy that loves to pass the ball, and hates to take the last shot. He is a far cry from a superstar that needs to dominate the ball to be effective - and he doesn't demand it either.

Absoutely, he could play with any other superstar and they both would do great.

sunsfn

Reaction score
playstation said:
...oh, i'm sorry, i think i opened up the door to fantasy-land by mistake. i'll just be on my way...

I have thought of putting together a thread with some of these great comments, but can not find the time.

This is a great one playstation.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JPlay said:
The worst thing about this trade is that they play the same position. It would be great to have them man the 4 and 5 spot together, but imagine it being crunch time in a game we have to win. Who do we go to.... Amare on the pick and roll, Garnett on the post-up. Garnett is a former MVP who may be the best if not the second best player in this league. Of course he's going to want the ball in crunch time. Of course he's going to need his touches in the game. It would be very difficult to have two 25+ scorers both playing in the post.

yeah, i would hate trying to figure out this problem. hate it. did i mention that i'd hate it? :rolleyes:

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
thegrahamcrackr said:
But Garnett doesn't really play in the post. He plays in the high center, mostly facing up and taking spot up shots.

Not to mention Garnett can play any position 3-5, and has done so throughout his career.

Garnett would definitely not demand the ball in crunch time. That has been his biggest knock - he doesn't want the last shot.

Yes he does, he has a variety of moves, but he mostly takes that fadeaway jumper. Garnett has been playing the 4 for the last couple of years, he's not quick enough to guard 3s.

Garnett not wanting the ball used to be his biggest knock until the year they went to the WCF and won the MVP. Now he regularly demands the ball in crunch time.

It's not going to happen anyway, so who cares.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this rumor to some people I know who live in Minnesota and one of them made a very good point. How are we going to take this guy seriously when he doesn't even know the Vikings already changed owners? Does the name Zygi Wilf ring a bell?

coloradosun

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
WastedFate said:
Sorry, but the team would be MUCH worse IMO. No bench, and I cant possibly see KG and Amare getting along for too long.

I agree, no way would the Suns management would ever want KG. He is a taller version of Marbury, why would you want another divisive personality on the team that gets a long so well.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
coloradosun said:
I agree, no way would the Suns management would ever want KG. He is a taller version of Marbury, why would you want another divisive personality on the team that gets a long so well.

No he isn't.

Actually, Garnett's problem is not playing style but temperment. I can't think of any player active today with a worse reputation for failing to get along with his teammates. I don't see it on the court, but he tends to drive people away.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
No he isn't.

Actually, Garnett's problem is not playing style but temperment. I can't think of any player active today with a worse reputation for failing to get along with his teammates. I don't see it on the court, but he tends to drive people away.

Garnett's teammates haven't been Miss Congeniality candidates.

Spree, Cassell, young Marbs?

That said, when a player is demanding a trade, the team that has to trade him doesn't get full value. The Suns would be foolish to offer JJ and Marion.

This trade does work.

Marion, Jim Jackson, Barbosa, Pick

for

Garnett (realgm trade id 2467636.)

I know it seem lopsided from the Suns point of view, but what Minny has to realize is that our team won 62 games last year. We are not going to blow that up unless we are offered a very good deal.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Marion + JJ2 + Barbosa for KG is redundant.

Especially for Wolves.

Logically, if they are unloading KG, it means they are rebuilding. Hence they want expiring contracts and draft picks. Picking up Marion is a risk, since he will be getting paid a lot to lead them to the lottery. And he has 5+ seasons left in his contract... I think.

KG for young talent and draft picks/expiring contracts. That makes sense.