Gerald Hayes

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Wildman© said:
The biggest obstacle that the entire Cards team faced last year was 3rd and long... On DEFENSE , IMO, we never had the right personnel on the field to stop our opponents on third down. Personally, I never understood why we didn't stay with DEFENSIVE people who stopped our opponents on 1st and 2nd down a few times just to check their effectiveness...

BTW, I hope that Dansby turns out to be a great player, but is anyone else here concerned that his BP is listed as 285 lbs?
:shrug:

Hey, he lifted the bar on the 225 15 times, which was as much as Michael Boulware. With NFL weight training and nutrition, he should be able to get stronger. Personally, I'd worry more about about his 15 on the Wonderlic. You can't coach brains.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
Hey, he lifted the bar on the 225 15 times, which was as much as Michael Boulware. With NFL weight training and nutrition, he should be able to get stronger. Personally, I'd worry more about about his 15 on the Wonderlic. You can't coach brains.

For the 1 MILLIONTH time Wonderlic doesn't measure intelligence or brains.
It is not a predictor of success on the football field.

The most mentally testing position is QB and QBs like Simms Culpepper Bulger Marino all scored low on the wonderlic. WONDERLIC doesn't matter when it comes to playing football.

(2) Your MLB should not be on the field in 3rd and long situations in the first place.

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
While I don't totally agree with Vikesfan...the Wonderlic would be more far more telling, at least imo, if it were a timed test. Most can deduce a correct answer on a test like that (being a standard IQ-type test) if they take their time.
Almost every idiot can be programmed to make quick decisions on a football field. QB's are given their reads and they check down from #1 to #2 so on and so forth. This can hide some pretty major mental faults.
I believe a timed Wonderlic would give you a better representation of an athletes ability to make a call, line up, get in position, etc. when something outside of that which is programmed rears it's ugly head. It's those types of situations in which you see the 60 yard TD bomb or a tackle for a loss. It really is that simple and takes someone who can "think quickly, and outside the box" to break up a potential big play. Having superior quickness and speed doesn't hurt eaither. =)
In all seriousness, there is a reason Bill B. makes his "reaches" for players with high Wonderlic scores...and probably why they have won two of the last three Super Bowls.

-Poorknight1

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
While I don't totally agree with Vikesfan...the Wonderlic would be more far more telling, at least imo, if it were a timed test.

I do believe that the Wonderlic is a timed test.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
You really do learn something new every day.

Does anyone know the time alotted for completion?

-Poorknight1

I think it's in the 20-25 minute range. But it might be 40 questions in 40 minutes. I'd look it up, but I don't really care. Google it.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
You really do learn something new every day.

Does anyone know the time alotted for completion?

-Poorknight1
Rumor has it that the time is actually calculated using a parametric equation that takes into consideration the time it takes Yusef Scott to realize he is full at Sizzler and community service hours served in a fiscal year by Michael Pittman. Scientific stuff this is.....

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
While I don't totally agree with Vikesfan...the Wonderlic would be more far more telling, at least imo, if it were a timed test. Most can deduce a correct answer on a test like that (being a standard IQ-type test) if they take their time.
Almost every idiot can be programmed to make quick decisions on a football field. QB's are given their reads and they check down from #1 to #2 so on and so forth. This can hide some pretty major mental faults.
I believe a timed Wonderlic would give you a better representation of an athletes ability to make a call, line up, get in position, etc. when something outside of that which is programmed rears it's ugly head. It's those types of situations in which you see the 60 yard TD bomb or a tackle for a loss. It really is that simple and takes someone who can "think quickly, and outside the box" to break up a potential big play. Having superior quickness and speed doesn't hurt eaither. =)
In all seriousness, there is a reason Bill B. makes his "reaches" for players with high Wonderlic scores...and probably why they have won two of the last three Super Bowls.

-Poorknight1

Again WONDERLIC is not predictive of football success. MARINO CULPEPPER BULGER SIMMS.

Again WONDERLIC does NOT measure intelligence.

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
Uh...I think I accurately represented your statement, Vikesfan, with:

Regardless of what you may think it measures something...and I would hope that my RB has whatever that something is to make sure he picks up the corner blitz since "MARINO CULPEPPER BULGER SIMMS" can't do anything about it but end up on their back if it gets missed...

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Again WONDERLIC does NOT measure intelligence.

It most definitely measures intelligence, relative intelligence. It's not THE intelligence meter, but it absolutely measures intelligence on a certain level.
FOOTBALL intelligence you could argue as being different, but that's not what you said, at least this time.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can't help but suspect that Vikes Fan failed an IQ test at some point. Why else would "Wonderlic" trigger his endless drivel about what it measures or does not. If it was absolutely meaningless why would they bother administering it?

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I have a degree in psychology and among the things we studied included intelligence and standardized tests. Again Wonderlic is not a test of intelligence any more then doing a crossword puzzle is. And the RB picking up a blitz is not based on how he did on the Wonderlic.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
I have a degree in psychology
If you got it at a Candian school it doesn't count!! They gave me a Candian psychology degree with my fries when I Super Sized my Big Mac combo last week :doi:

I'm going to go back this week so hopefully I will get that Canadian M.D.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
If you got it at a Candian school it doesn't count!! They gave me a Candian psychology degree with my fries when I Super Sized my Big Mac combo last week :doi:

Actually the psychology dept. I got my degree from was used by the CIA for their nefarious experiments in the 1960s. So if it has the CIA seal of approval and was good enough for them I am sure it rates more highly now then you suggested.

P.S. I think there are something like 17 Canadians playing in the NFL.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Actually the psychology dept. I got my degree from was used by the CIA for their nefarious experiments in the 1960s. So if it has the CIA seal of approval and was good enough for them I am sure it rates more highly now then you suggested.

P.S. I think there are something like 17 Canadians playing in the NFL.
Dude I was just joshin ya! Next thing you know you will be telling me how Canada produced Michael J. Fox and Alex Trebek

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Dude I was just joshin ya! Next thing you know you will be telling me how Canada produced Michael J. Fox and Alex Trebek
Dude we invented the telephone, insulin and hockey. You can take credit for Alex Trebek.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
vikesfan said:
Dude we invented the telephone, insulin and hockey. You can take credit for Alex Trebek.

You can keep Trebek, We'll take credit for Shania Twain and Trish Stratus. :D

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:

Given you inability to spell "Canadian" in your first paragraph, I don't doubt that whatever degree you may have came from MacDonald's U.. :D

* McGill U. graduate, the Harvard of the North.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Given you inability to spell "Canadian" in your first paragraph, I don't doubt that whatever degree you may have came from MacDonald's U.. :D

* McGill U. graduate, the Harvard of the North.
Wait a second... The University of Toronto is the Harvard of the North dude.

I hope we play the Senators again next year!

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

Should this be moved to the Canada Board?

OP
OP
Poorknight1

Poorknight1

Registered
Reaction score
I guess my question, Vikesfan, is how you define intelligence? Below is my buddy Merriam-Webster's definition:

Main Entry: in·tel·li·gence
Pronunciation: in-'te-l&-j&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin intelligentia, from intelligent-, intelligens intelligent
1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : [size=-1]REASON[/size]; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)

The Wonderlic most definitely evaluates intelligence per the above definition as all it seems to test is your ability to reason. Does it test your ability to retain? Nope. Does it test your intelligence? Yup.
I would consider life in the NFL a new and trying situation for most collegiate athletes and thus makes any test that would grade your ability to adjust completely relevant.
Intelligence, as defined, seems to apply to any situation in which you make skilled use of reason. That would probably apply to a lot of different situations in football when learning new offensive or defensive schemes.

Is the Wonderlic indicative of your success in this league? Not by a long shot. Does the Wonderlic serve a purpose...well I don't know how you can argue that it doesn't.

PS I apologize in advance for spelling errors and such. Had to whip this bad boy out before running to a meeting... =)

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Poorknight1 said:
I guess my question, Vikesfan, is how you define intelligence? Below is my buddy Merriam-Webster's definition:

Main Entry: in·tel·li·gence
Pronunciation: in-'te-l&-j&n(t)s
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin intelligentia, from intelligent-, intelligens intelligent
1 a (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : [size=-1]REASON[/size]; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests)

The Wonderlic most definitely evaluates intelligence per the above definition as all it seems to test is your ability to reason. Does it test your ability to retain? Nope. Does it test your intelligence? Yup.
I would consider life in the NFL a new and trying situation for most collegiate athletes and thus makes any test that would grade your ability to adjust completely relevant.
Intelligence, as defined, seems to apply to any situation in which you make skilled use of reason. That would probably apply to a lot of different situations in football when learning new offensive or defensive schemes.

Is the Wonderlic indicative of your success in this league? Not by a long shot. Does the Wonderlic serve a purpose...well I don't know how you can argue that it doesn't.

PS I apologize in advance for spelling errors and such. Had to whip this bad boy out before running to a meeting... =)

Yeah it's all about definition. Psychology takes a much more indepth view then 1 sentence in a dictionary. Then there is the study of standardized tests, how they are created, what they actually measure, biases etc. It is a lot more complicated then 1 sentence in a dictionary and 1 test someone created.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
vikesfan said:

U of T... Only in self-important Toronto, the centre of the universe.

As for meeting the Sens... fine by me... a plague on both their houses.

I'm an Avalanche (Quebec Nordiques) fan...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05