Ginobili back to his old tricks

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
My Spanish isn't as good as it should be, but as near as I can tell, Manu undercut Venezuela's star guard at the very beginning of a 'friendly' between the two teams, blowing out the man's elbow and knocking him out of the World Championships.

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news/story?id=465017

La nota desagradable que dejó el partido fue la severa luxación que sufrió en el codo izquierdo el estelar jugador visitante Héctor Romero, quien fue retirado de la cancha en camilla y trasladado al sanatorio Garay, donde resultó intervenido quirúgicamente.

El primer tiempo (que comenzó con una falta de Emanuel Ginóbili a Romero que derivó en la lesión del venezolano) fue ampliamente dominado por el seleccionado argentino. Esa superioridad de la formación anfitriona nació de la fuerte presión defensiva que se ejerció sobre los venezolanos y un menor cuidado en el traslado del balón hacia el campo rival.
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2006/07/30/um/m-01243249.htm
Sin dudas la lesión de Pepito Romero a los nueve segundos del primer cuarto le jugó muy en contra a Venezuela. El jugador encaró al aro argentino en la primera jugada del partido y recibió una falta de Manu. Pero la desafortunada caída le provocó una seria lesión en el brazo izquierdo.

Looks like Manu is in mid-season form. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Interesting, I though he was just busy fishing this summer....

You must be registered for see images

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It will take him pulling a Randy Livingston on Duncan before Spurs fans acknowledge how wreckless he is.

jenna2891

potential get-away driver: go!
Reaction score
on the run from johnny law... ain't no trip to cle
i'm going to post this again because it hasn't stopped being funny:

Overacting Manu Ginobili Takes Charge, Plays Dead

May 18, 2006 | Issue 42•20

SAN ANTONIO—Manu Ginobili oversold his attempt to get Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki called for a charging foul in the third quarter of Game 5 Wednesday, according to teammates, opposing players, and frustrated emergency medical personnel who grudgingly carried off the Spurs shooting guard in a stretcher despite the fact that he was clearly still breathing. "We kept shaking his shoulder and telling him, 'Manu, wake up, we got the ball back,' but he just kept lying there for a good five minutes," said teammate Tony Parker, adding that Ginobili was unresponsive to loud shouts in his ear and showed no signs of movement except a slight smirk after Tim Duncan pried his right eyelid open. "I guess maybe he thought that if the ref saw that he was really still alive, he might reverse the call. It's too bad he had to miss the rest of the game when he was taken to the hospital." NBA analysts say are calling this incident the most extreme case of flopping since 1992, when Vlade Divac, who was hiding a razor in his wristband, surreptitiously sliced his supraorbital vein and bled to death after drawing minor contact with the Clippers' Danny Manning.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/48683

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Here you go, in English this time (uh, kind of):

http://www.fibaamericas.com/noticiasread_us.asp?r=NOCAMEWXEC

SANTA FE - Venezuelan star Hector Romero will be out of the 2006 FIBA World Championship after suffering a severe injury to his left elbow in the first game of the Super 4 Tournament against Argentina.

Romero will travel to Caracas and after some evaluations it will be determined if he needs surgery.

He suffered the injury at the start of the game when Manu Ginobili fouled him hard when he tried to penetrate.

After he fell to the floor, he was carried in a stretcher to a local clinic where they inmovilized his elbow.

He will miss at least one month due to injury after suffering a trauma.

Other injured players in the team are Herbert Bayona with a groin injury and Richard Lugo who has problems with his back.

The coaching staff will name a new player for their final trip to Europe prior to the FIBA World Championship.
Oh, and apparently Brazil lost to Argentina in another 'friendly', but I haven't heard about Barbosa getting hurt again, so apparently the Suns dodged a bullet there. :thumbup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05