Go get Brandon Moore and cut Colledge

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't let one of the league’s most infamous fumbles, which happened to involve Moore’s buttocks, distort your view. He was one of the best interior linemen in the league and part of a New York Jets offensive line that surprisingly ranked near the top of the league. His +21.3 grade ranked fourth among guards, and, as Moore mentioned to our own Sam Monson, his goal was to finish the season on a strong note — which he did with nine straight positive grades to top off 2012.

Success is nothing new for Moore who has now posted a positive grade every year since PFF’s inception in 2008. His +12.8 run blocking grade will be attractive to any team looking to move the ball on the ground, though he’s also more than capable in pass protection. He graded at +5.6 as a pass blocker with a Pass Blocking Efficiency (PBE) of 97.2 that ranked 18th among all guards. Moore’s all-around game has him as our top interior lineman heading into free agency.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not worth the cap ramifications IMO. Colledge isn't a great player, certainly not worth the contract we signed him to, but he isn't bad enough to essentially pay him to go away. We receive little to no cap benefit for releasing him. Just make him compete with Kelemete, Potter, Watford, etc.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Not worth the cap ramifications IMO. Colledge isn't a great player, certainly not worth the contract we signed him to, but he isn't bad enough to essentially pay him to go away. We receive little to no cap benefit for releasing him. Just make him compete with Kelemete, Potter, Watford, etc.

so have a player who isn't good...stay on the team because of his salary (which was a mistake). Then let a solid guard who will be a much better player go on to another team.

I'm sorry, but I don't follow that logic.

I want the best players PLAYING on Sunday. When the D line destroys Colledge (as they do) and crushing Palmer and our RB's in the backfield you can say 'well at least he wasn't a cap hit'

if that's your logic...maybe sign Moore and keep Cooledge as a backup....let 'K' go...even if you let them into camp..that's fine, but Moore will destroy the competition at training camp.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could swap Colledge out for Moore, I would be more than happy.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
so have a player who isn't good...stay on the team because of his salary (which was a mistake). Then let a solid guard who will be a much better player go on to another team.

I want the best players PLAYING on Sunday. When the D line destroys Colledge (as they do) and crushing Palmer and our RB's in the backfield you can say 'well at least he wasn't a cap hit'

if that's your logic...maybe sign Moore and keep Cooledge as a backup....let 'K' go...even if you let them into camp..that's fine, but Moore will destroy the competition at training camp.
We should be trying to find a way to be able to cut Colledge and signing Moore might just be that answer. Yes I understand that cutting Colledge right now does nothing for the 2013 cap, but it does quite a bit for the 2014 cap. Gotta be looking to the future as well when it comes to these kinds of moves and not just the present.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't share everyone's disdain for Colledge. He played poorly last year, and I'd be fine with a clear-cut upgrade, but I think he'll succeed in this offense, and that it plays to his strengths.

For the financial ramifications we've got going on with the idea of cutting Colledge, keep him for now, and see if any of our young guards develop to take over. If not, sign/draft someone new next year and cut ties with him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I don't share everyone's disdain for Colledge. He played poorly last year, and I'd be fine with a clear-cut upgrade, but I think he'll succeed in this offense, and that it plays to his strengths.

For the financial ramifications we've got going on with the idea of cutting Colledge, keep him for now, and see if any of our young guards develop to take over. If not, sign/draft someone new next year and cut ties with him.
For me personally I don't have any disdain for the guy, but I realize that 7.5m cap figure is way too high and if we wait too long to cut him than we are going to be dealing with a big chunk of dead money on the 2014 cap.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Look, I get that Brandon Moore would be an upgrade, but you can't always hit the reset button on your mistakes. There is a significant cap hit that takes place if we release Colledge. Combine that with the salary you will have to pay Moore and it may not make sense financially. This isn't fantasy football where you just drop a player and add one whenever you want. If you add salary one place, you typically are going to have to subtract it from another. Without knowing what corresponding moves would need to be made it's easy to just say "Moore is better than Colledge, so let's have Moore instead of Colledge."

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Look, I get that Brandon Moore would be an upgrade, but you can't always hit the reset button on your mistakes. There is a significant cap hit that takes place if we release Colledge. Combine that with the salary you will have to pay Moore and it may not make sense financially. This isn't fantasy football where you just drop a player and add one whenever you want. If you add salary one place, you typically are going to have to subtract it from another. Without knowing what corresponding moves would need to be made it's easy to just say "Moore is better than Colledge, so let's have Moore instead of Colledge."
There isn't a cap hit for cutting Colledge we just wont get any cap relief. Again it certainly doesn't help us with the cap situation this season, but it would assure us of having his cap number completely off the 2014 cap.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
There isn't a cap hit for cutting Colledge we just wont get any cap relief. Again it certainly doesn't help us with the cap situation this season, but it would assure us of having his cap number completely off the 2014 cap.

Damn I want that shirt that Honey Badger is wearing in your sig. I bet its a Wisconsin shirt but pretty damn funny hes wearing it.

OP
OP
ARZCardinals

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if need be keep Colledge, but sure as heck don't start him...have him as a backup. You could put him as a June 1st cut and split the hit. I'd rather take the hit now. If he's got only the 1 year left....I'd keep him as a backup rather than the hit

BUT I AM NOT STARTING HIM

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I thought I read where cutting Colledge won't save any cap space but the Cards would save actual money of not having to pay his 7.5 mill salary because he has no guarantees.

Not having to pay him 7.5 mill has to be attractive, cap hit be damned. Plus, it won't hurt the cap situation. It just doesn't save/create any cap space.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
We would break even this year and save 7 mill next year. If Moor is a huge upgrade you do it yesterday.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

I agree with you Solar7: I know that Daryn was the weak link on the Green Bay line, but they did win a SB. I believe that he will be better here this year under BA's zone blocking scheme, and may even surprise some people. I would like to keep him this year, if nothing else, to see if he challenges Kelemete, Potter, and Watford for the slot. It would be nice to see the teaching techniques that this staff offers, take root with the members of our O-line and improve their playing skills. I would at least like to give that a chance this year, and if it doesn't pan out, he can be cut next year when that cut brings some cap relief.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
Isn't Moore turning 33 in June? If he had long term value, it might be worth it, but I'd rather just keep Colledge and try to prep one of the young guys to replace him.