Gonzo Returns - Dbacks/Dodgers series thread

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would like to see Montero get more playing time than Snyder.

Last edited:

diamondbacker

Reaction score
Yeah, Montero has much better breakout potential, and Snyder isn't suited for an everyday role.

PHXSportsFan4

Time for baseball season.
Reaction score
O-Dog Web Gem... I have a feeling his trophy case is going to have a 3rd GG in it after this season.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The Dodger pitcher can't find home plate to save his life. So Melvin calls for a hit-and-run.

The pitch is nowhere near the zone, Callaspo has to swing wildly, and misses it. And Byrnes (the potential tie-breaking run) is an easy out at 2B (even though they missed the tag).

Wouldn't it be nice to have an intelligent Manager?

We do, but he's the 3rd base coach. Ugh!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Honestly, he's our bench coach.....

I'd take Hale over Gibson. Hale has gone thru the minor-league system and has won. Gibson has no managerial experience.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take Hale over Gibson. Hale has gone thru the minor-league system and has won. Gibson has no managerial experience.

You know what... That might be an interesting debate for another thread. I guess I'm partial to "Gibby' since (for I know for the umpteenth time) he was my boyhood baseball idol while growing-up.

Not if as though I'm trying to detract away from Hale... He does have one advantage over Gibson.. which is he's managed most of the Dbacks prospects for over the past cpl yrs, so he has a strong bond with them. It's just though I think it took more to pry Gibson away from the Detroit area just to be a mere bench coach..there has to be something beyond that and we may find out in due time....

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

So did Wally Backman.... managing in the minors is an overrated attribute IMO. I'll take a guy who's been around the majors for years and been in the dugout behind some quality managers over a successful minor league coach. The minors are filled with Has Been's, Never will be's and phenoms where as the majors are the best of the best and knowing how to coach them takes talent. That said, I totally agree with KLL

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know what... That might be an interesting debate for another thread. I guess I'm partial to "Gibby' since (for I know for the umpteenth time) he was my boyhood baseball idol while growing-up.

Not if as though I'm trying to detract away from Hale... He does have one advantage over Gibson.. which is he's managed most of the Dbacks prospects for over the past cpl yrs, so he has a strong bond with them. It's just though I think it took more to pry Gibson away from the Detroit area just to be a mere bench coach..there has to be something beyond that and we may find out in due time....

Good points but I believe they would go with Hale based on his experience and knowledge of the players. Hale is a solid coach who is in the same mold of Gibson when it comes to intensity and toughness. I also could see the front office going after someone outside the organization. They are not afraid of mixing things up. This would be a great topic of conversation if Melvin ever gets close to getting fired.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So did Wally Backman.... managing in the minors is an overrated attribute IMO. I'll take a guy who's been around the majors for years and been in the dugout behind some quality managers over a successful minor league coach. The minors are filled with Has Been's, Never will be's and phenoms where as the majors are the best of the best and knowing how to coach them takes talent. That said, I totally agree with KLL

I guess I won't begin a new thread on this topic for at least the moment...

I 100% agree with what Ryan posted. Gibson had the distinct privilege to play under Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, Jim Leyland, and Hal McRae.
He also learned a lot through the earlier stages of his career from HoF'er Al Kaline.

Gibson had tremendous natural athletic ability, but had to hone his baseball fundamentals and developed all of that rather nicely. He always was receptive toward younger players... Him, Trammell, and Whitaker would always take rookies under their wings... Even ask Tony Clark and he'll tell you how fond he was of Gibson back then. He's no nonsense, very intimidating, has an immense baseball IQ and several credentials. Whenever he speaks, everyone takes notice.

Just look at what he did in 1988 with the Dodgers.. Not just that heroic HR off of Eck, but how he managed to set the tone for their season when someone played a prank by putting shoe polish on his goggles which left black marks around his eyes.. He took exception...expressed immediate displeasure saying the team must mean business than pranking each other and everyone followed him in that direction..and he always generated winning results. I honestly believe he would have had a HR career, but his reckless abandonment always got the best of him. He always went full throttle and that did cost him dearly, but to him it was all worth it. That's what you want to convey to your team..especially one going thru a youth movement.

Last edited:

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess I won't begin a new thread on this topic for at least the moment...

I 100% agree with what Ryan posted. Gibson had the distinct privilege to play under Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, Jim Leyland, and Hal McRae.
He also learned a lot through the earlier stages of his career from HoF'er Al Kaline.

Gibson had tremendous natural athletic ability, but had to hone his baseball fundamentals and developed all of that rather nicely. He always was receptive toward younger players... Him, Trammell, and Whitaker would always take rookies under their wings... Even ask Tony Clark and he'll tell you how fond he was of Gibson back then. He's no nonsense, very intimidating, has an immense baseball IQ and several credentials. Whenever he speaks, everyone takes notice.

Just look at what he did in 1988 with the Dodgers.. Not just that heroic HR off of Eck, but how he managed to set the tone for their season when someone played a prank by putting shoe polish on his goggles which left black marks around his eyes.. He took exception...expressed immediate displeasure saying the team must mean business than pranking each other and everyone followed him in that direction..and he always generated winning results. I honestly believe he would have had a HR career, but his reckless abandonment always got the best of him. He always went full throttle and that did cost him dearly, but to him it was all worth it. That's what you want to convey to your team..especially one going thru a youth movement.

I can't remember any manager being hired without any managerial experience. I would have to do some research to see if that has ever happened before.

As for Hale, he played under two great coaches, one a Hall of Famer in Jerry Kindall, and one a future Hall of Famer in Tom Kelly. He also comes from a baseball family. He has shown in the years that he can manage and winning Manager of the Year last year with so many personnel changes last year for the Sidewinders proved that.

Whoever is the next Diamondback manager needs to be the opposite of Melvin. I would like to see the next guy have that intensity that Gibson and Hale have.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Still alive as Hudson doubles. Need a home run.

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
Wow lucky play by Saito... D-Backs are swept in the short 2 game series as they lose this one 6-4 :bang: :bang: :bang:

Let's head to SD and take down the Padres

PHXSportsFan4

Reaction score
I can't remember any manager being hired without any managerial experience. I would have to do some research to see if that has ever happened before.
I'm thinking Ron Washington, the Rangers new manager, may not have had any managerial experience. I could be wrong, but I know he was the A's base coach for a long time.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Damn lucky. Finish the first homestand at 500. I wonder how this game would of went if Owings did not get hurt? With Micah in the lineup they have a guy who can hit. Hopefully he won't be out too long but I have a feeling when Randy comes back he will be the odd man out.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm thinking Ron Washington, the Rangers new manager, may not have had any managerial experience. I could be wrong, but I know he was the A's base coach for a long time.

Good one. I googled him and it looks like he never was a manager in the minors. It will be interesting to see if he can succeed.

As for this current Diamondback team, does Melvin make any changes in the lineup? Young has been struggling but I can't see them benching Young because it would destroy his confidence. Willie Mays started his career going something like 1-24.

I have never been a big Snyder fan when it comes to his offense. He has a great arm but he definitely is a very streaky hitter.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Does the name Bob Brenly ring any bells to you??????

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05