Gonzo's throwing arm........and my thoughts

Djaughe

Reaction score
I got to go to opening day - it was alot of fun even though the dbacks lost!

But one thing bothered me a little bit.

I noticed Gonzo would 1 hop his throws to the cut off man. I also noticed that cintron would run out farther than usual to make sure those 1 hops didn't turn into 2 or 3....

Is gonzo that close to being on the DL?

I also watch todd helton steal 3b on r. johnson......that had to have been the slowest theft of 3b in history of mlb. At least I can tell my kids I witnessed helton's only theft of 3b in his career.....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yes, I believe Gonzo is just that close to the DL. BB had mentioned Cintron was going to have to go deeper for the cut off throws. Wasn't it Renteria who had to go out deeper for Pujols last year when Albert had the same type injury?

Before too much longer, teams are really going to start testing the arm but stretching singles into doubles. Is Gonzo's bat really worth the clear and troublesome problem he is going to become in LF? At this point I would say yes but that feeling may be short-lived. He was never stellar in LF but I think it is going to hurt the Dbacks alot once teams really starting pushing his throws out there.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There has to be a real question fo whether Gonzo will make it thru the season.
I question why he was still in the game after we posted that 9 to 1 lead. I would have taken him out so as not to hurt his arm any worse than it is,

az240z

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
az240zz said:
There has to be a real question fo whether Gonzo will make it thru the season.
I question why he was still in the game after we posted that 9 to 1 lead. I would have taken him out so as not to hurt his arm any worse than it is,

az240z
I agree - any thoughts who his defensive replacement would be in late innings?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
I agree - any thoughts who his defensive replacement would be in late innings?
Probably Donnie Sadler or Matt Kata (obviously neither are natural OFs).... They must acquire an OF via trade or off waivers soon or else....

Last edited:

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also read that Gonzo was starting to throw side arm - which would help not hurt his arm - now how effective that will be, we'll have to see. It's definitely a big concern.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
Probably Donnie Sadler or Matt Kata (obviously neither are natural OFs).... They must acquire an OF via trade or off waivers soon or else....

I might promote Terrero simply for defense to come in and spell Gonzo. Thoughts?

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I might promote Terrero simply for defense to come in and spell Gonzo. Thoughts?

I would love to see Terrero get a chance to play eveyday, but I am worried about his offense. Also, Chad Tracy is playing the outfield, so I think that before we look for a trade we see what Tracy can do.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If only there was a way to combine Terrero and Tracy together into one-player...

The only realistic solution would be to finally release or demote Danny Bautista and recall Tracy and have him as their every day RF.... Then, if Brenly realizes that carrying 12-pitchers isnt completely necessary, then they should promote-up Terrero to give them another speed option off the bench.... However, the latter wont happen until Dessens, Sparks, and Daigle can prove capable to last more than 5 innings per start and that Koplove is healthy enough to pitch more than one outing each and every week....

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am not really suggesting Terrero as a replacement if Gonzo gets hurt but rather right now...so in games like yesterday Gonzo can be lifted and a REAL OF can be brought in to play mostly for defense. Even though Tracy was doing some OF work, he isn't a "natural" OF.

If Gonzo goes down, unless they feel like Tracy can handle everday duties in the OF, they will have to make a trade.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
I am not really suggesting Terrero as a replacement if Gonzo gets hurt but rather right now...so in games like yesterday Gonzo can be lifted and a REAL OF can be brought in to play mostly for defense. Even though Tracy was doing some OF work, he isn't a "natural" OF.

If Gonzo goes down, unless they feel like Tracy can handle everday duties in the OF, they will have to make a trade.
Yeah, I guess I am desperate in trying to somehow get Danny Bautista removed from the roster! ;)

Seriously though...I would add Terrero on the roster, but at the expense of which player? They cannot afford to go with less than 12-pitchers at this point and Sadler is very valuable with the fact that he has speed himself and can be a defensive replacement at several positions....

The only drawback of trade (which we discussed in chat lastnite) is... Who has redeemable value or what players would the Dbacks be willing to part with?

I'd say Gosling, Good, and Hairston are the only prospects the the Dbacks are willing to deal and that might bring back some wortwhile OF in return.....

If Mantei can overcome his "nail ailment" and prove to be healthy for a longer length of time, I wonder if they'll re-explore that long-rumored deal involving him and Jacque Jones.....

Would they even consider bringing-up Connor Jackson, Jesus Cota, Marland Williams, or Michael Goss? I know that may be drastic since they havent been to AAA yet, but their OF prospects at Tucson are substandard....

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
KingLouieLouie said:
....but their OF prospects at Tucson are substandard....
I agree. IMO if gonzo goes down then we would have the worst outfield in baseball.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well right or wrong you would have to bail a reserve IF to call up Terrero. I am not saying what to do but does Kata have options left? If so, then you make the tough decision to option him down. Or Sadler is gone. Kata I presume could play 2B and SS, Colbrunn could play 3B and 1B plus you have Baerga there as well. It may sting but I would prefer to make the "correct" decision now (ie getting someone to get Gonzo out of games whenever possible) than to have Gonzo go down and be scrambling to get it fixed.

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
You'd figure the dbacks could have experimented with LF by putting in players like kata during spring training.........

:shrug:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about this far-fetched yet possible scenario:

3rd inning, Finley and Bautista collide in right center field on a fly ball...later that game Gonzo fully blows out the arm.

Horrible thinking but this illustrates why having just the three OFs on the roster is playing with fire...and a gallon of gasoline...and dynamite...and napalm. The Dbacks must address this potential season destroying problem BEFORE it happens. They need vision. JMHO

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
How about this far-fetched yet possible scenario:

3rd inning, Finley and Bautista collide in right center field on a fly ball...later that game Gonzo fully blows out the arm.

Horrible thinking but this illustrates why having just the three OFs on the roster is playing with fire...and a gallon of gasoline...and dynamite...and napalm. The Dbacks must address this potential season destroying problem BEFORE it happens. They need vision. JMHO
lol....in the first game finley and bautista almost did collide. Gonzo is going to have to hit a least 50 homers to make up for his bad arm. His injury puts added pressure on not only cintron but on finley also. I noticed finley sneaking over more on grounders to LF than usual.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Djaughe said:
lol....in the first game finley and bautista almost did collide. Gonzo is going to have to hit a least 50 homers to make up for his bad arm. His injury puts added pressure on not only cintron but on finley also. I noticed finley sneaking over more on grounders to LF than usual.

Brenly is altering the defensive alignment in order to "protect" Gonzo and over short runs it may help but my guess is, over the longer run of a month or season, this strategy will only hurt the team. Add OF to the worries about pitching which will potentially hurt this season.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
They could use Hammock in the outfield. He did that last year.... :shrug:

OP
OP
D

Djaughe

Reaction score
minercon said:
They could use Hammock in the outfield. He did that last year.... :shrug:
yeah...that sidearm throw of gonzo's looks kinda sissy.......

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
I still would not be surprised if they don't trade with the Twins for Jacque Jones soon. I think it needs to be proven that Mantei is healthy and if that happens the trigger will be pulled.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
schillingfan said:
I still would not be surprised if they don't trade with the Twins for Jacque Jones soon. I think it needs to be proven that Mantei is healthy and if that happens the trigger will be pulled.
Another matter that might factor in is the health of Torii Hunter... If he's not at full-strength whenever he does actually return, that would essentially deter the Twins from parting with any of their OFs (in spite how Lew Ford does)....

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The Pads are testing him.

Sean Burroughs went from 1st to 3rd (3rd or 4th inning) on a ground ball that got through the infield. Never even hesitated.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Way past time for Terrero to come up here and be a real back-up OF. He can spell any of our OF guys; he can take over for Gonzo when defense matters, if we ever play those kind of games again...and then we jump Conor Jackson to Tucson. Problem with CJ is that he has better plate discipline than this organization has ever seen. Been on base every game of the year, and in 57/68 games last season. :D

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Victor Hall should be the next OF promoted soon since he probably has the best over-all speed in the organization and has experience playing both LF and CF...They then should start him in the lead-off spot playing RF and bat Finley at #5, where he ideally belongs...

AZZenny

Reaction score
Sorry - no contest at present:
V Hall .105/.227/.105 (Avg/OBP/SLG) 0 SB;
L Terrero .471/.550/.765 with 3 SB

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05