Good News Red Stripe! Looks like purple is OUT next season...

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Folster said:
I heard some speculation on another board that the D'backs might use the "A" from the "Arizona" on their away jersey for the primary cap logo.

Will someone with some photoshop skills please hook up a sample of that "A" in tan and red? Much obliged. I believe that logo would be sharp.

The Republic reported that their going to primarily use the "D"

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here are a few ideas.
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Folster said:
Here are a few ideas.

I really like that one to the far left. Classic looking.

I can't believe all the fans being upset that we are changing from the hideous purple and teal two year old sweatsuit ensemble after "only 8 years"....Its better to make these changes early on. It's not as if we are a team with massive tradition like the Yankees or Cardinals.

First off purple only works in so many cases. I like the Lakers and Suns use of the color but I think this SW inspired color scheme will be alot better. The new ownership is trying to distance themselves from the Colangelo handprint that is still all over this franchise and i for one can't blame them.

And most importantly i will actually buy a hat if the color scheme looks right. Echhh Purple....No offense Zenny;)

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
at this point we should switch to the newer uniforms now to wash the smell of losing off

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
in a few years these will be like all-avocado appliances in the kitchen, believe me.

Ha ha...I believe it. We have the linoleum floors of uniforms. :)

Give me copper and black, with purple as the background color.

Like someone said before, at least we'll be able to get great deals on all the "throwback" merchandise. :thumbup:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another possibility

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OK I'm done after this one. I'm just stoked we are getting rid of the teal and purple.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Folster said:
OK I'm done after this one. I'm just stoked we are getting rid of the teal and purple.

I always thought this logo looked too much like the disney D logo. If they are going to use a snake d it better look more like a real snake.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
I really like that one to the far left. Classic looking.

The one on the far left looks like a bird.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Folster said:
I'm with you sly. Teal and purple are lame. The best uniforms in every sports are the simple and understated ones. No flash or graphics. Give me a simple A or AZ with a basic collor and I'll be happy.

Some goofy burnt orange/red color does not qualify as simple or understated.

They're gonna have the same colors as the Coyotes.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
devilalum said:
Some goofy burnt orange/red color does not qualify as simple or understated.

They're gonna have the same colors as the Coyotes.

I agree, but it's an improvement and I am just working with the proposed colors and changes that were hinted. If it were up to me they would be a color from the original 8 pack of crayola crayons save purple of course.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
This whole thing is a crock of @$@#. Changing your colors after 8 seasons is a cop-out. Why is everyone making orange examples when the color is going to be some shade of red? I would much rather have a purple hat then a Fred Durst "look at me" red hat. I'm mystified by this.

The theory that we're switching because of the youth movement is BS. Therefore, everytime we have a wave of young talent come up should we change our colors? If we win the World Series with red and tan and then we proceed to have no success for the next 4 years should we change our colors again? I just wish the FO would have the junk to come out and say that their making this move to generate more merchandise revenue. That's all this is, don't let any cheesy Republic column convince you otherwise. The Suns are one of the best and most highly regarded franchises in the NBA and they have no problem wearing purple.

I'm not attacking any of you who support this move but I would be lying if I said I wish there were more people who were against it. We WERE one of the most unique organizations in MLB. Our identity and leader, Jerry C, is gone and now our colors are out the window too. Purple is just fine with me

Last edited:

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Were you a fan of the old coyotes sweaters? You are correct. It is all about money. The problem with the D'backs and the Coyotes original colors is that they were a short-sighted mistake. They were both unmarketable. The Coyotes were dead last in jersey sales and I'm sure that the D'Backs aren't that far from last in baseball as well.

The colors are laughable to fans across the country, especially east coast fans. And wouldn't you know we have a lot of east coast and mid-west transplants that the organization would like to win over. If you like the old logos then you shouldn't complain when the D'backs lose money and are unable to go after top talent in the future.

Last edited:

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
These colors are going to age real fast -- like Astros, in a few years these will be like all-avocado appliances in the kitchen, believe me.

Royal Purple, Black, and Ivory or White. That's all.

Zenny, do you remember the old Chandler Diamondbacks from the Fall League?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
This whole thing is a crock of @$@#. Changing your colors after 8 seasons is a cop-out. Why is everyone making orange examples when the color is going to be some shade of red? I would much rather have a purple hat then a Fred Durst "look at me" red hat. I'm mystified by this.

The theory that we're switching because of the youth movement is BS. Therefore, everytime we have a wave of young talent come up should we change our colors? If we win the World Series with red and tan and then we proceed to have no success for the next 4 years should we change our colors again? I just wish the FO would have the junk to come out and say that their making this move to generate more merchandise revenue. That's all this is, don't let any cheesy Republic column convince you otherwise. The Suns are one of the best and most highly regarded franchises in the NBA and they have no problem wearing purple.

I'm not attacking any of you who support this move but I would be lying if I said I wish there were more people who were against it. We WERE one of the most unique organizations in MLB. Our identity and leader, Jerry C, is gone and now our colors are out the window too. Purple is just fine with me

I heard Rich Dozer speak one time a couple of years ago and he said the team had changed the colors and uni's slightly every year. The main difference being that they darkened the purple a shade each year.

I'd like to see a dark purple black white combo. It doesn't matter that this is pretty much what the rockies have. There are only 8 crayons in the Crayon box and there are 30 teams. Lots of teams wear red/white/blue or blue or black.

A mostly black design with purple trim would be great. I also like one hat. Simplicity is classy. But don't count on anything simple. More hats means more choices which means more money.

And don't be surprised by the Republics spin, don't they still own a chunk of the team?

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Maybe they will make the infield and warning track Sedona Red, too. That might be kind of cool.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I guess the people that like the current uniforms haven't been back east or to any other baseball town. People just rip on the DBacks for their uniforms and their overall identity of having Gonzo be the face of our franchise. Not saying that uniforms will completely change public perception, but I certainly don't want to be the laughing stock of the league. Let's get some respect and reserve judgement until we see the finished product.

OP
OP
Arizona's Finest

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
I guess the people that like the current uniforms haven't been back east or to any other baseball town. People just rip on the DBacks for their uniforms and their overall identity of having Gonzo be the face of our franchise. Not saying that uniforms will completely change public perception, but I certainly don't want to be the laughing stock of the league. Let's get some respect and reserve judgement until we see the finished product.

Exactly - we look a minor league team with the goofy purple and teal. If you guys had to hear about all this east coast bias i put up with on a day to day basis you would understand. And purple black and white would have made us ....the Colorado Rockies.

I am all for these moves. I think the Coyotes look MUCH better since they went to the classic looking jerseys and i expect the same of my Dbacks.

Is no one reading my posts BTW? The primary reasoning is that Kendrick wants the Colangelo stamp off the franchise. There leaving terms were a bit acrimonious if you remember. Colangelo is a big believer in the whole "new school teal and purple" revolution. And let me just say he is in the minority. Do you know why good teams like the Suns and Dbacks never get repped by anyone other than die hard fans of the team? Because they are not classic looking. I remember how happy i was to see the 94 Suns jersey in a Fabulous video a few years back and i would like to see a little more mainstream love for our team. Although i am a hard core dbacks fan i have had a Yankee hat, a Red Sox hat a A's hat and a Oriloes hat. But never a D-backs cap. Not because i dont support my team but because i dont want to look like a douchebag when i am going for a simple tshirt, jeans, and hat look when im wearing a cap to something other than a sporting event.

If the caps are classic and understated like i am hoping i will be able to rep my team, my state - AND look good out here in South Florida......now thats what i want.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Although i am a hard core dbacks fan i have had a Yankee hat, a Red Sox hat a A's hat and a Oriloes hat. But never a D-backs cap. Not because i dont support my team but because i dont want to look like a douchebag when i am going for a simple tshirt, jeans, and hat look when im wearing a cap to something other than a sporting event.

If the caps are classic and understated like i am hoping i will be able to rep my team, my state - AND look good out here in South Florida......now thats what i want.

Yeah the caps in my closet are the A's, Braves and Nationals. Sad that I have to rep someone else's club.

I also agree with you AZ about Kendrick: this is definately a move facilitated by the desire to remove Jerry's stamp from the franchise. Of course there are other motivations such as merchandise sales and so forth and image, but I'm sure the Colagelo hate plays a big part in it as well.

Oh and by the way, the Tucson Sidewinders unis are way better than ours now. Hell we might as well adopt their scheme - our team is mostly made up of those guys anyway.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
krepitch said:
Zenny, do you remember the old Chandler Diamondbacks from the Fall League?

No, I don't -- that was before I knew about Fall League, I guess.

I spoke to nine DBacks fans -- not one liked the proposed colors, None appreciated a major change -- some fine-tuning was OK -- and all but one said not buying any DBacks gear next year.

I just sent Moorad my annual letter.

guess the people that like the current uniforms haven't been back east or to any other baseball town. People just rip on the DBacks for their uniforms and their overall identity of having Gonzo be the face of our franchise.

Who gives a flying cruller-n-donut what anyone back East thinks about us? Other than you transplanted New Yawkers. They certainly won't respect us for Brick and Sand uniforms, believe me, and if team colors are what they focus on, what the hell kind of baseball fans are they?

How is brick and sand any more 'classic' or classy than purple and teal? Brick and sand are AZ colors only if you live on Camelback Mtn and look out over a sea of tile roofs and fake adobe housing tracts.

Last edited:

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
No, I don't -- that was before I knew about Fall League, I guess.

I spoke to nine DBacks fans -- not one liked the proposed colors, None appreciated a major change -- some fine-tuning was OK -- and all but one said not buying any DBacks gear next year.

I just sent Moorad my annual letter.

Who gives a flying cruller-n-donut what anyone back East thinks about us? Other than you transplanted New Yawkers. They certainly won't respect us for Brick and Sand uniforms, believe me, and if team colors are what they focus on, what the hell kind of baseball fans are they?

How is brick and sand any more 'classic' or classy than purple and teal? Brick and sand are AZ colors only if you live on Camelback Mtn and look out over a sea of tile roofs and fake adobe housing tracts.

As much as I want to create a tradition like the Yankees and Red Sox by maintaining the same uniforms, it won't happen with our current ones. They're horrible! I'm all for picking a uniform and sticking with it, but I beg of you not this one. Do you seriously want us to keep our current uniforms for the next 100 years for the sake of maintaining normalcy and a tradition? I don't. Our current uniforms are some of the most untraditional baseball uniforms ever. The only thing that resembles baseball tradition is the pinstripes. I really don't understand why there are so many people that are fighting this change. Who cares if we won a title in the current duds? I don't. Don't be an Uncle Rico and live in the past.

You were probably one of the people who hated the new Cardinals uniforms and wish they would just keep the old outdated and boring unis for the sake of keeping tradition. I guess people do fear change. Like it or not the DBacks are changing it up and I think most people are happy about it. I just hope the new ones will be simple and good looking without the purple. Then we can talk about having them for a while.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, MLB merchandise revenue is split up evenly between all 30 teams. So any increase in sales would benifit the other 29 teams as much as it would us. Just as we benifit just as much as other teams when their sales increase.

So those saying "quick buck" and "revenue increase", it's not as much or big of a factor as you'd think. After all, we've altered our jersey's every year and the new ones are always in the stores. On top of the constant turn over in players, there are always a reason to buy new stuff. All those other hats of teams you all are rep'n make just as much money for the DBacks as buying an ARI one.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
DWKB said:
Just as an FYI, MLB merchandise revenue is split up evenly between all 30 teams. So any increase in sales would benifit the other 29 teams as much as it would us. Just as we benifit just as much as other teams when their sales increase.

So those saying "quick buck" and "revenue increase", it's not as much or big of a factor as you'd think. After all, we've altered our jersey's every year and the new ones are always in the stores. On top of the constant turn over in players, there are always a reason to buy new stuff. All those other hats of teams you all are rep'n make just as much money for the DBacks as buying an ARI one.

I understand that and it's a good point. But from a brand marketing standpoint, you'd much rather have people buy your merchandise than someone else's. Having more people wearing your stuff is good advertising.

HooverDam

Reaction score
I really dont care what anyone back East thinks of us. Our colors could be red and blue and they'd hate it. These are the same people who bad mouth Pac10 Football even though USC was running rough shot over people and the Pac had a winning record against ever other conference.

I mean do you really want to impress Easterners? These are the people who by their own choosing live in dreary, rust ridden ice boxes. I'll take the purple mountains, orange sunsets, red rocks, and Christmas day in the pool over that any day.

Also, purple is my favorite color, so its natural I'd be disappointed in a move away from it.

AZZenny

Reaction score
You were probably one of the people who hated the new Cardinals uniforms and wish they would just keep the old outdated and boring unis for the sake of keeping tradition.

Shows what you know. When did the Cardinals get new Unis? I watch a couple ASU games a year, and that's plenty of football for me. Odious sport.

At least my Suns will keep purple.

And yes, I would be fine with purple uniforms for a hundred years, because I LIKE Purple. I would redesign the unis and minimize or lose the teal, but keep the purple, black, and white or ivory.

My points were -- how can anyone who complains about the 'uncool' team colors think Brick and Sand are any better? You don't think the east coasters will go high on the hog about that color scheme? Either go classic, clean colors, or leave it be.

Second, I really don't give a **** what any other team's fans, or the national media, think about my team or its uniforms. I can't for the life of me imagine any real Arizonan who does!
I know what Barry would have told them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05