Great playcalling the first series

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Did you notice the great playcalling on the first series where Edge was busting big gains. We ran a fake end around, some delayed handoffs, some stretch plays and misdirection, not to mention some playaction! yes I said playaction! We do have that in our playbook.

Thank God we had a new O-coordinator. Hopefully he has an ounce of creativity in him, which Rowen didn't.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you notice the great playcalling on the first series where Edge was busting big gains. We ran a fake end around, some delayed handoffs, some stretch plays and misdirection, not to mention some playaction! yes I said playaction! We do have that in our playbook.

Thank God we had a new O-coordinator. Hopefully he has an ounce of creativity in him, which Rowen didn't.

Go back and watch the 2nd series as well. There were just as many good play calls there as well.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Every article I've read said the first 15-20 plays were scripted. If that's the case, then whoever designed them seems to have an idea of what to do and should probably do more of it.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing with the Cards. Their first two scripted series works great but we can't adjust with the opponents adjustments as the game goes on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every article I've read said the first 15-20 plays were scripted. If that's the case, then whoever designed them seems to have an idea of what to do and should probably do more of it.

Where did you read anything about this? It has been talked about here, but I have not seen an article about it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Where did you read anything about this? It has been talked about here, but I have not seen an article about it.

ESPN Insider has been publishing that information on their NFL Blogs.

It said that the first 15-20 plays were scripted "by the entire offensive staff" and then Rowen would take over once the script ran dry, and like a kid playing Madden on "Rookie", he just ran the same four plays over and over again.

Gambit

First-Class Second-Rate Poster
Reaction score
Also, the first couple of series the O-line is fresh and can get the job done. As the game drags on they get exhausted and can't perform as well as the first couple of series.

OP
OP
JPlay

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Honestly, I am assuming Denny has a hand in those first 15-20 plays, then the playcalling goes to Rowen.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I am assuming Denny has a hand in those first 15-20 plays, then the playcalling goes to Rowen.

If that is the case, then can people really claim that Rowen was a scapegoat? It looks like he truly cannot call plays.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
That's the thing with the Cards. Their first two scripted series works great but we can't adjust with the opponents adjustments as the game goes on.

Here's the play by play for the Cardinals second series:

5:32) M.Leinart pass short right to A.Boldin to ARZ 29 for 6 yards (M.Anderson).

2-4-ARI29 (5:00) M.Leinart pass short right to A.Boldin to ARZ 30 for 1 yard (H.Hillenmeyer, B.Urlacher).

3-3-ARI30 (4:23) M.Leinart pass short left intended for A.Boldin INTERCEPTED by N.Vasher (N.Vasher) [B.Urlacher] at ARZ 31. N.Vasher to ARZ 31 for no gain (A.Boldin). Play Challenged by ARZ and REVERSED. M.Leinart pass incomplete short left to A.Boldin (N.Vasher) [B.Urlacher].

Player then punted.

That's working great?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the play by play for the Cardinals second series:

5:32) M.Leinart pass short right to A.Boldin to ARZ 29 for 6 yards (M.Anderson).

2-4-ARI29 (5:00) M.Leinart pass short right to A.Boldin to ARZ 30 for 1 yard (H.Hillenmeyer, B.Urlacher).

3-3-ARI30 (4:23) M.Leinart pass short left intended for A.Boldin INTERCEPTED by N.Vasher (N.Vasher) [B.Urlacher] at ARZ 31. N.Vasher to ARZ 31 for no gain (A.Boldin). Play Challenged by ARZ and REVERSED. M.Leinart pass incomplete short left to A.Boldin (N.Vasher) [B.Urlacher].

Player then punted.

That's working great?

I think so. The play worked well, it was a playaction play if I remember correctly. Leinart scrambled and tried to throw the ball away, (at least thats what it looked like to me) and he did not thow the ball out of bounds like he should have.

You do not have to score a touchdown every drive for it to be good play calling.

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score

It said that the first 15-20 plays were scripted "by the entire offensive staff" and then Rowen would take over once the script ran dry, and like a kid playing Madden on "Rookie", he just ran the same four plays over and over again.

well, that would definately explain it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is this Jeremy Green or someone else?

I'm no longer an "insider".

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think so. The play worked well, it was a playaction play if I remember correctly. Leinart scrambled and tried to throw the ball away, (at least thats what it looked like to me) and he did not thow the ball out of bounds like he should have.

You do not have to score a touchdown every drive for it to be good play calling.

It would be nice to not go 3 and out before saying that the plays worked great. Short right to Boldin, short right to Boldin, short left to Boldin, hardly seems imaginative and almost resulted in an interception as well as failing to pick up a first down.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be nice to not go 3 and out before saying that the plays worked great. Short right to Boldin, short right to Boldin, short left to Boldin, hardly seems imaginative and almost resulted in an interception as well as failing to pick up a first down.

How many times are people saying that we should try to get the ball into the hands of Boldin? If he is single covered, (like he was most of the night) I would throw to him 25 times.

We can disagree on this, but I still thought that the playcalling was ok/great. The execution was not without flaws.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Clayton had it in his blog, and I could swear I read it somewhere else too.

But where does he get it from, Jeremy or someone else?

I think it's pretty clear over the last year or so that Jeremy has been printing and saying stuff that he gets from Denny because Denny wants it "leaked". For example last year he had the JJ is soft stuff first, he had the Dockett plays for the wrong reasons, the staff is pissed with Dansby etc.

Jeremy is pretty interesting, I read a chat last week 3rd time he's said on a chat that the Bucs Michael Clayton parties too hard, doesn't work hard, loves his nightlife, and if he doesn't change his priorities he's going to continue to struggle. He even said "people hate it when I say this." First thing that popped into my mind is I bet Gruden fed him that because he wants it out there without having to say it himself.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
It was Clayton. Here's what he had to say:

Unscripted in Arizona: It's easy to see why Cardinals coach Dennis Green fired offensive coordinator Keith Rowen on Tuesday. Rookie quarterback Matt Leinart did well by working the 15-play script given to him by the entire offensive coaching staff. Leinart has had two first-quarter touchdown drives in each of the past two games. He worked the script effectively. But once the options are exhausted, Leinart had to rely on Rowen's ability to adjust his game plan and make play-calls as the game progressed. Rowen didn't get touchdown drives after the first couple of series. It will be a surprise if Rowen takes on another role on the staff after this mess, but Green is giving him some time to think about it.

Who knows where it comes from, but Jeremy Green is locked in reporting only on the AFC West for Scouts, Inc. We're stuck with Rodd Newhouse, and this uninformative report:

Let's face it: This team is cursed

Alfred Hitchcock could not have scripted a better story. Unbelievable. Surreal. Cursed. Just a few words to emphasize what happened on Monday Night Football. I mean, where do we start?
The Arizona Cardinals set all kinds of NFL records, but the wrong kind -- most carries for a running back who did not average at least two yards per rush; first team to lose consecutive games after leading by at least 14 points at the end of the first quarter in each; first team to blow a 20-point lead without allowing an offensive touchdown.

The Cardinals began the game spreading the Chicago Bears' defense out and creating passing lanes for quarterback Matt Leinart to get the ball to playmaking wide receiver Anquan Boldin and running lanes for Edgerrin James. Leinart looked phenomenal in his second start, leading two first-quarter touchdown drives, but the offense sputtered in the second half and Arizona could not hold on. The Cardinals played much better than the Bears, but in true Cardinals fashion, they found a way to lose.
The Cardinals jumped on the Bears early and took advantage of the fact Chicago wasn't blitzing. Bears MLB Brian Urlacher finished the first half with only two tackles, but by the end of the game, after Chicago had adjusted, he finished with 11 tackles.

The Bears climbed back into the game because of lack of focus and discipline on the part of the Cardinals. Some of you may have heard the commentators make note of the Cardinals playing conservatively on offense and not finishing the game. Offensive coordinator Keith Rowen must learn to use the weapons he has and continually attack opposing defenses by passing the ball, as opposed to using the traditional method of running the ball late in games to help move the chains and keep the clock running. The Cardinals are just not strong in that area.

I would not say the Cardinals began to play conservatively, but they did get away from what got them the lead. The Cardinals are just plain better throwing the football than they are running, and their attempts to finish games by running out the clock and controlling the ball just do not work. The Cardinals have not been able to get anything going with their run game all season, and that weakness was exploited on a national stage Monday.

Arizona used more two-tight end formations late in the game to help create more dominance up front, but their two best blocking tight ends actually don't block very well. TE Fred Wakefield is a converted defensive end who has been a failed project at defensive tackle, defensive end, offensive tackle and now blocking tight end. TE Leonard Pope has been struggling with his blocking due to his height. Pope stands 6-foot-8 and struggles to get leverage against opposing defenders. The Cardinals tried to use Wakefield and Pope on the edges in the run game, to help protect the corners, but neither held up well and too often let defenders penetrate and stop RB James in the backfield.

The Cardinals' defense played very well, and there is no reason to put any blame on them. They forced six turnovers and held the Bears to three offensive points. The defense has been playing very well, and because they were able to create pressure on the Bears' QB Rex Grossman, they kept him rattled all night long. Safety Adrian Wilson's blitzing ability has been outstanding, and that was a significant factor in rattling the Bears' offense.

The Cardinals' energy on defense was contagious, and early on the offense seemed to feed off it. But week after week, they cannot find ways to close the deal. When that happens, you let teams back in the game and lose games you should win.

Simply put, the Cardinals just choked. When a team gets away from its bread and butter and starts trying to do things it is not sound at doing, it makes it hard to build confidence and sustain momentum.

I am convinced the Cardinals are cursed, and I do not think there is a spell that can break this curse. The coaches cannot execute the plays that are called. That is left up to the players. The coaches cannot block. That is left up to the players. The coaches cannot protect the ball. That is left up to the players Yes, there is plenty of blame to go around, but when it comes down to it, the players have to make the plays, and that is where I press the relief valve for the coaching staff.

I am shocked and stunned and don't know what to say. Where does it stop? When does it end? Cardinals' fans, I wish I could tell you relief is on the way, but even with all the positives in the play of Leinart, the Cardinals seem destined eventually to find a way to tarnish the lone bright star in the Cardinals' organization.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
How many times are people saying that we should try to get the ball into the hands of Boldin? If he is single covered, (like he was most of the night) I would throw to him 25 times.

We can disagree on this, but I still thought that the playcalling was ok/great. The execution was not without flaws.

I'm really more interested in dispelling the myth that's come up on this board that the Cards second series was a success than in whether the playcalling was imaginative.

I do agree on Boldin. The short pass to Q letting him punish the secondary should be the Cards bread and butter play early in games, not Edge plowing into line. When the defenses come up to stop those they go deep to Fitz or BJ. To heck with James and his demands for carries.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unscripted in Arizona: It's easy to see why Cardinals coach Dennis Green fired offensive coordinator Keith Rowen on Tuesday. Rookie quarterback Matt Leinart did well by working the 15-play script given to him by the entire offensive coaching staff. Leinart has had two first-quarter touchdown drives in each of the past two games. He worked the script effectively. But once the options are exhausted, Leinart had to rely on Rowen's ability to adjust his game plan and make play-calls as the game progressed. Rowen didn't get touchdown drives after the first couple of series. It will be a surprise if Rowen takes on another role on the staff after this mess, but Green is giving him some time to think about it.

As I said in another thread. If this is the case, you cannot say that Rowen became the scapegoat.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really more interested in dispelling the myth that's come up on this board that the Cards second series was a success than in whether the playcalling was imaginative.

I do agree on Boldin. The short pass to Q letting him punish the secondary should be the Cards bread and butter play early in games, not Edge plowing into line. When the defenses come up to stop those they go deep to Fitz or BJ. To heck with James and his demands for carries.

I can see that. I think that because we got a turnover and scored after that 3&out, some of us may be confusing the 2nd drive, with the 3rd one.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
But where does he get it from, Jeremy or someone else?

I think it's pretty clear over the last year or so that Jeremy has been printing and saying stuff that he gets from Denny because Denny wants it "leaked". For example last year he had the JJ is soft stuff first, he had the Dockett plays for the wrong reasons, the staff is pissed with Dansby etc.

Jeremy is pretty interesting, I read a chat last week 3rd time he's said on a chat that the Bucs Michael Clayton parties too hard, doesn't work hard, loves his nightlife, and if he doesn't change his priorities he's going to continue to struggle. He even said "people hate it when I say this." First thing that popped into my mind is I bet Gruden fed him that because he wants it out there without having to say it himself.

That kind of stuff goes on all the time, Jeremy is inside the loop and a great source to dump this stuff off at.

I'm actually pretty suprised we haven't had him torque on us harder, I'm also somewhat suprised Green hasn't started a campaign yet to clear his name through sources like that but I do expect that if it gets any worse that's what's comming next.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
My bad. I forgot about the real 2nd series. My point is that with ML starting, we have scored points with our scripted plays. After the opponent makes adjustments, we cannot adjust with the game. That's my point.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I said in another thread. If this is the case, you cannot say that Rowen became the scapegoat.

It just depends where Clayton got that from. If he got it from Green, it's questionable, if he got it from someone else, then yes Rowen appears to have been fired for a reason.

I have no idea who Clayton talks to but if Denny tells Jeremy and Jeremy tells Clayton and Clayton prints it, obviously it's not going to make denny look bad. Remember, Denny used to work for ESPN he may still talk to people like Clayton himself too.

I admit I don't like Green but with stuff like this it's so hard for me to accept that Rowen was this bad, everyone knew it, and yet they let him continue to do that during the game?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan