GREAT Tim Tebow article...it's a MUST READ for anyone interested in the draft

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Where did I say this? I said people really don't think he's mobile because he's whilte. Big difference.

What would you say are the reasons that so many thought that Toby Gerhart would be better as a FB in the NFL until he ran that 4.5 in the combine and had proof of speed on paper. He's the same size as LaGarrette Blount and Jonathan Dwyer but faster. Did you hear anyone saying they should be FBs at the next level?? I don't think it should come as that big of a surprise to you that in sports, white players are typically perceived as slow.

People are concerned about his speed because he lacks quickness and doesn't have BLAZING speed. He's a straight-line runner. Again, he seems to have the type of speed that works in college, but won't work in the NFL where everyone is as fast as the fastest defender they saw on any given week.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Tim Tebow is one of the more intriguing QB prospects just from the simple standpoint of the man's sheer will. The question becomes can WILL prevail over SKILL? Some QBs have proven that it can. Drew Brees comes to mind. He's small by NFL standards, and he doesn't have a rocket arm...but the guy is tough as nails and the way he prepares and the way he exerts his will on the outcome of a football game are exemplary.

Brees came out of Purdue with better passing skills than Tebow's, for sure...but Tebow, as we speak, is somewhere refining his mechanics and willing himself into the NFL QB he believes he can be.

I wouldn't count him out, especially since he has the physical and mental toughness that true champions have.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People are concerned about his speed because he lacks quickness and doesn't have BLAZING speed. He's a straight-line runner. Again, he seems to have the type of speed that works in college, but won't work in the NFL where everyone is as fast as the fastest defender they saw on any given week.

What type of drill would you say best determines quickness? The 3 cone drill? Tebow had the 6th fastest time of anyone at the combine. The 20 yard shuttle? His 4.17 tied with Jahvid Best and was faster than Trindon Holiday's 4.48. It was also faster than a pretty quick CB from a few years ago who goes by the nickname DRC. I guess the fact that he had the highest vertical leap by any QB ever at the combine doesn't show any explosion either huh? keep in mind he did all of this at 235lbs. No quickness????

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
What would you say are the reasons that so many thought that Toby Gerhart would be better as a FB in the NFL until he ran that 4.5 in the combine and had proof of speed on paper.

Probably because he looks and runs like a FB? If he were black, I'd still think he looks like a FB. His straight line speed may be good, but he looks like a bruising FB, and doesn't look like he has any wiggle in his running game.

white players are typically perceived as slow.

There is a reason for that, typically they are. Of course there will be exceptions to the rule, but look at the percentage of African Americans at skill positions relative to the makeup of the entire population. Clearly there is a major reason that the stereotype exists.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Probably because he looks and runs like a FB? If he were black, I'd still think he looks like a FB. His straight line speed may be good, but he looks like a bruising FB, and doesn't look like he has any wiggle in his running game.

'nuff said, thanks

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
'nuff said, thanks

Glad it's so cut and dry to you. Watch some game film. He's in the Pac 10, so I've had plenty of time to watch him. Size of a fullback, runs like a fullback, lack of wiggle like a fullback, but that can't be the reason.

If you don't believe me, here's what scout.com has to say:

"doesn't show a second gear when gets to the second level. Not nearly as effective as attacking the perimeter as is pounding the ball between the tackles. Marginal burst and concerned about his ability to consistently hit the corner at the NFL level. Lacks the elusiveness to make defenders miss"

Amazing that some would look at him as a FB instead of a RB, it's clearly it's a racial conspiracy...:rolleyes:

chickenhead

Reaction score
A lot of the Tebow projections just remind me of what's wrong with the combine. [Note: there is a lot more about the combine that is right, but it does allow players to fall in certain situations]. It's as if we're faulting him for being the product of a system in which he accomplished just about everything that could be accomplished. And the assumption is that someone who is successful in one system can't be successful in another. That would only be true if he literally brough nothing of himself to the field.

Now, I'm glad we won't be taking the risk on him (presumably). I've never been a fan of his in particular, Florida in particular, or the SEC. But part of me hopes he does well, because it's hysterical to see "possibly the greatest college player of all-time" and "NFL bust" be applied to the same guy before he's even taken a snap in the pros.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russell's NFL failure is 100% attributed to stupidity and laziness, two shortcomings that Tebow obviously does not suffer from. Trying to equate them is impossible. Furthermore, Jamarcus Russell is just evidence as to how amazing America is (was prior to Hussien). Where else could such idiots hold such high paying jobs. All you had to do was hear the moron speak one sentence and you knew he'd never made it. i wouldn't have taken him before the 5th round.

Really? Is this reallly necessary on a football board?

FYI--I think that Darius Heyward-Bey would tell you that idiots can still get such high paying jobs. Look there, or at Goldman Sachs.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course there will be exceptions to the rule, but look at the percentage of African Americans at skill positions relative to the makeup of the entire population. Clearly there is a major reason that the stereotype exists.

But if you looked at the fact that there are 4 starting QBs in the NFL of African American descent and determined that caucasians are genetically better prepared to play quarterback you would then be labeled a racist. Right or wrong?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Tebow will be an adequate backup. That is all.

Early

Registered
Reaction score
Russell's NFL failure is 100% attributed to stupidity and laziness, two shortcomings that Tebow obviously does not suffer from. Trying to equate them is impossible. Furthermore, Jamarcus Russell is just evidence as to how amazing America is (was prior to Hussien). Where else could such idiots hold such high paying jobs. All you had to do was hear the moron speak one sentence and you knew he'd never made it. i wouldn't have taken him before the 5th round.

The article brought up all these numbers - And they contradict themself, just by looking at player D. That's what i was refering to; Not Tebow and his future in NFL and defenitely not any form of comparison between these players as i see them.

Numbers, in their own entity, and used as an argument, are indeed not making sense as I explained. They are not the reason to like a player or not, but it's the reason behind these numbers that is the most important to consider.

As for Tebow, I do agree, that he seems to be an extremely good character, a person that wants to learn and become better, and a winner. He has zero mechanics, but one thing I learned in life is that you can become anything you want, if you really really want it. The kid has heart, and it's obvious.

Tebow is impossible to evaluate due to this. Worst mechanics ever and very hard to work with in NFL. On other hand he is a winner and hell of a character. I usually don't like to take chances in the draft. I like smart guys. Good characters. Polished players over raw. That strategy makes you a better footballteam. But this is one of those extreme cases, where I wouldn't be that opposed to take a chance.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
But if you looked at the fact that there are 4 starting QBs in the NFL of African American descent and determined that caucasians are genetically better prepared to play quarterback you would then be labeled a racist. Right or wrong?

Considering Caucasians account for 75% of the US population, and African Americans account for 12%, I don't think you can make that particular determination. In addition, there are far too many other factors to consider to make a statement like that.

It's much more obvious that African Americans are "genetically better prepared" (although that seems like really clumsy terminology) to play skill positions when the vast majority are black, and African Americans account for only 12% of the population. I think we can at least agree on that.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I like Tebow but I think he is a work in progress, he has to go to a team that will take its time with him and most teams can't afford to draft a project early.

The guy is high character, motivated and a good leader but he isn't a good enough QB...can he be? I think so. Using Tebows stats is really misleading, you have to take in to account what kind of offense he ran and how that will translate to the NFL (or more specifically: how they will translate to ONE team).

raptor100

Rookie
Reaction score
Tebow

In general terms the Tebow hating on this board really doesnot surprise. Most of the time if a 'white guy' is mentioned in a good light, the reverse racial profiling on this board rears its ugly head.

I had seen it time and time again on this board and others like it.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think he goes earlier than expected too. I was going to say 10 percent chance between the 30-40 picks, and overall a 90 percent chance he's gone by the end of the 3rd round.

I'd spend a 2nd rounder on him, if we didn't sign DA. Since we did I wouldn't want us to take him until 3rd round. I could live with spending a 2nd though.

That said I'd also be fine with not taking him at all. I do think he's getting far more hate than he deserves. Just sounds like most gm's don't want to risk a 1st on him, but many would love to roll the dice on him in the 2nd or 3rd. Not that it's collusion, but it does seem a bit collusive.

I do agree many less impressive Qb's were hyped a lot more in the past. The JR comparison has credence to it. Why he could be considered #1 material and survive all the eyes on him and be the #1 pick and why Tebow is grading so much lower seems odd. I don't see why there is the disconnect, but I do notice it is a great one.

Just seems weird after the Brady Quinn incident that Tebow's been invited to attend the draft, yet on the other hand there are pundits saying he won't be taken until the 4th round.

Never have I seen a prospect that wasn't a thug/criminal/drugs, injury, or had health concerns have such a wide range of where they could be picked.

Nor was he a guy who at his pro-day (or for others combine) shocked people with some nonathletic trait. Even though his wonderlic wasn't great (if memory serves correct 22), it wasn't Vince Young stupid (6).

It does seem on the surface he's getting a bad rap (for lack of a better word/phrase).

Of course I could be 0 percent right.

Last edited:

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
The very premise of this article is wrong. College success does not equal NFL success. It might help your case as a prospect but ultimately it's not your stats that make the difference. Every scout worth his paycheck knows that playing for Florida the past 4 years means Tebow had top college talent with him. Yes he played in the SEC so he had some tough competition part of the time, but he also got to pad his stats each year against teams like Florida Atlantic.

With QB perhaps more than any position you have to look at their mechanics and their football knowledge. Many things that work in college at that position simply won't work in the NFL. For instance Tebow's up the middle runs. If he is ever a starter in the NFL and does those he will get his clock beat by the Ray Lewis types and as tough as he is, his career will be ruined by it.

Reaction score
Tim Tebow is one of the more intriguing QB prospects just from the simple standpoint of the man's sheer will. The question becomes can WILL prevail over SKILL? Some QBs have proven that it can. Drew Brees comes to mind. He's small by NFL standards, and he doesn't have a rocket arm...but the guy is tough as nails and the way he prepares and the way he exerts his will on the outcome of a football game are exemplary.

Brees came out of Purdue with better passing skills than Tebow's, for sure...but Tebow, as we speak, is somewhere refining his mechanics and willing himself into the NFL QB he believes he can be.

I wouldn't count him out, especially since he has the physical and mental toughness that true champions have.
:yeahthat: Lot's of doubt whether Tebow can be effective at the next level. But I wouldn't count him out!

Some team is going to take a chance on him, either late first or second round.

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
In general terms the Tebow hating on this board really doesnot surprise. Most of the time if a 'white guy' is mentioned in a good light, the reverse racial profiling on this board rears its ugly head.

Wow. You can't be serious. :thumbdown

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I think people will be surprised at how early he ends up going next month.

doesn't mean he will be worth a damn :D

I wouldnt touch him with anything more than a 4th or 5th rounder but what the hell do I know

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

Says the guy who has 2 total posts and registered as a user this month...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05