Greatest cardinals of all time that arent usually mentioned

Reaction score
Who would you say?

i can name a few..
Neil Lomax :
He was great! His career was cut short by the hip injury..
He had them at 7-4 in 1988 after beat SF and the Giants..
Hurts his hip
They go 7-9, good season goes south

tim mcdonald- left as a free agent, but was excellent.

Darnell Dockett
Larry centers
Ej junior
Luis sharpe

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't followed the Cardinals as long as most of you guys but I'm going mention two names

CC
Adrian Wilson

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Who would you say?

i can name a few..
Neil Lomax :
He was great! His career was cut short by the hip injury..
He had them at 7-4 in 1988 after beat SF and the Giants..
Hurts his hip
They go 7-9, good season goes south

tim mcdonald- left as a free agent, but was excellent.

Darnell Dockett
Larry centers
Ej junior
Luis sharpe

I was devastated when Tim McDonald left. We got zero for one of the fiercest competitors the franchise had ever seen. I'll add Ron McKinnon to your list. Was a beast on some putrid Cards teams back in the day. Oh, and welcome to the site! I'll have a Guiness Draught and a Gyro.....

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Part of the downside when a franchise moves is the loss of some of the history and the recognition of past heroes. For the Cards, as the Baby Boomers who grew up on Cardinal football in St. Louis ride off into the sunset, the collective memory of their favorite players goes with them.

Two teams left St. Louis and a lot of players from both the Cards and the Rams will soon be forgotten. For example, Steven Jackson put up HOF numbers as the solo offensive weapon for some terrible St. Louis Rams teams. He had some 'Beastmode' runs to his credit. I can't recall the last time I heard his name mentioned by anyone in the national media.

https://www.nfl.com/players/steven-jackson/stats/

Maybe the Internet will keep some players alive---but you have to at least have heard about them to look up their old videos.

Some favorites from St. Louis era:

Stump Mitchell (later a coach here)---Cards traded away OJ Anderson to open the starting spot for Stump.
Sonny Randall
Jim Hart
Jim Bakken

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
How about Jackie Smith? He’s best remembered for going to the Cowboys and dropping a Super Bowl potential TD. Still he was the greatest tight end the Cards ever had. He was the Gronk of his day and changed how the position was viewed.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
How about Jackie Smith? He’s best remembered for going to the Cowboys and dropping a Super Bowl potential TD. Still he was the greatest tight end the Cards ever had. He was the Gronk of his day and changed how the position was viewed.

The challenge question was to name the greatest cardinals of all time who are not usually mentioned. Unfortunately for Jackie Smith, that drop in the Superbowl is all that a lot of NFL fans now know about him---I've seen it on 'blooper' plays and Smith does get mentioned.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I caught the tail end of his career I think he finished up in Dallas?
The TE I always remember is the late JV Cain, promising speed receiving TE who died in practice one day of congenital heart failure at 28 years old. Will never forget that we were in So Cal on our way to a fishing trip in Loreto, at my dads friends house I turned on tv and they were talking about JV Cain passing

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm obviously dating myself but in high school we had to buy some of our own stuff. I wrote JD Crow on the back of my practice jersey with a magic marker.

I also have a jersey of Sam 'The Rifle' Etcheverry. He was the great uncle of a good friend of mine so he had the jersey made for me as a Christmas gift.

I was bitter for a long time over Tim McDonald.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Emmit Smith? :)

Conrad Dobler
Dan Dierdorf
Roger Wehrli
Terry Metcalf
Mel Gray

Larry Centers - I don't think we talk about his greatness enough.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm obviously dating myself but in high school we had to buy some of our own stuff. I wrote JD Crow on the back of my practice jersey with a magic marker.

I also have a jersey of Sam 'The Rifle' Etcheverry. He was the great uncle of a good friend of mine so he had the jersey made for me as a Christmas gift.

I was bitter for a long time over Tim McDonald.

Sam 'The Rifle' Etcheverry spent his latter years in Montreal where he passed away.

Cardsmasochist

Full Throttle!!
Reaction score
Smith dropping that pass from Staubach in the end zone during the Super Bowl is burned into my memory. I was a huge Staubach fan growing up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
As a Cardinal fan and Cowboy hater I never took kindly to Jackie Smith going to the Cowboys. I’m glad he was the goat that game.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As a Cardinal fan and Cowboy hater I never took kindly to Jackie Smith going to the Cowboys. I’m glad he was the goat that game.

I was also pretty PO'd when Smith went to the Cowpies. I actually set aside my Cowpie hatred and wanted Smith to get the SB ring that he never had a chance to get with the Cards. In the overall picture, I guess Smith got his just reward for coming out of retirement to join the Cowpies. He certainly tarnished his legacy for Card fans with that decision.

Here's a play vs the Cowboys that I remember him by:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's the Wikileaks post on how Smith ended up with the Cowpies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackie_Smith

I don't have the heart to post the link to that dropped SB pass

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone who knows me probably knows who my first mention will be: the late great Kwamie Lassiter. One of the hardest hitters in college football. Made the team as an undrafted free agent and was a great tackler and a ball hawk. Most memorable is the game against the Chargers when we sealed the playoffs in 1998. 4 interceptions in the game and he literally had his hands on a 5th but couldn't bring it in. Great guy in the community and always down to earth with my wife and I whenever we'd see him, his wife Ericka, and their kids. RIP, Kwamie.

Not to take anything away from Larry Fitzgerald, but whenever someone talks about a Cardinals' crowd chanting for a player named Larry my first thought is always back to the South End Zone at Sun Devil Stadium watching Larry Centers play. We sat in Section 37 back then and Larry loved being the crowd favorite and always played like a beast.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought the point was to identify great Cardinal players that don't get mentioned enough. Jackie Smith is in the HOF & one of the top 5-6 Cardinals of all time. I think he's over qualified for this post. Here are some that I thought of:

Sonny Randle
Ernie McMillian
Bobby Joe Conrad
Charley Johnson
Pat Fischer
Larry Stallings
John Gilliam
MacArthur Lane
Mel Gray
Ahmad Rashad (Bobby Moore)
Jim Otis
Pat Tilley