Greatest Center in SUNS history

HooverDam

Reaction score
Inspired by the recent thread about the greatest Center in NBA history, I wanted to start a thread about who we all think is the greatest center in Suns history.

We all know the Suns have always been considered a donut team (nothing in the middle), ever since Jerry lost the coin flip for Lew Alcinder back in the late 60s. The "Curse of the Coin Flip" seemed to send the Suns on a never ending journey for a big man, and thus a championship.

Though I never saw him play in person (Im too young), I think Alvin Adams would possibly be the Suns greatest center. Here is a blurb on him from Suns.com:

The team's all-time leader in games played (988 ), rebounds (6,937) and steals (1,289), Alvan Adams spent 13 seasons in Phoenix before retiring in 1988. And while he had a stellar career, no season was better than his first. The 4th overall pick in the 1975 draft, the "Oklahoma Kid" averaged 19 points and 9.1 boards, was named Rookie of the Year and helped lead the Suns to the NBA Finals. Over his entire Phoenix career, "Double A" averaged 14.1 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.1 assists a game. Adams is one of six players who have been inducted into the team's Ring of Honor and still works with the club as a senior vice president of operations.

Also note, he was only 6'8''.

My runner up pick is Mark "Big Daddy" West. Both of these guys played hard, and were very loyal to the Suns (perhaps this is part of the reason I chose them). West was never great, but always solid. My dad told me once as a little kid watching the Suns, "Mark West is the only player who starts the game w/ 5 fouls."

*One rule: No picking Amare. We all know he is really a PF, and we've only been calling him a center for a year.

asudevil83

Reaction score
Hot Rod Williams........oh wait, i thought this was the "what's the biggest mistake on a center in suns history" thread.

honestly though, i've been a suns fan since i was 9 (92-93 season), and cant remember anyone worth noting as a "great center" without disrepecting anyone from the early days.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
we've never had a center. it's as easy as that.

we also lost the coin flip for david robinson. we got armen the hammer gilliam instead. wow.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mark West versus the Lakers in 1990 - that was effectively the only time in Suns history where it seemed like we had a center. Man - Big Daddy was a MONSTER in that series!