Green likes what he sees from JJ

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Rookie back runs with opportunity

Odeen Domingo
The Arizona Republic
Jun. 15, 2005 12:00 AM

Cardinals rookie running back J.J. Arrington is reaping the benefits of Troy Hambrick's absence.

With fewer players to share repetitions, Arrington is getting more plays during practices and showing the coaches what he can do with the ball in his hands.

So far, Cardinals coach Dennis Green likes what he sees from his second-round draft pick.

"J.J.'s very quick, explosive," Green said. "He has outstanding hands. I think he's everything we hoped he would be. I think it's going to work out real well. When you get on the field with him, he's just so quick and explosive. Very few guys coming out (of college) are like that.

"Then he's got balance. He's similar to the other running backs in the league who have good balance. It's very hard to knock them off their feet. I think he can get behind the big linemen pretty well, too."

That's high praise for a rookie, but Arrington has shown what he can do when he's prepared.

"I feel more comfortable each day," he said.

"As long as we go over it (practice objectives) in the meetings each day, I'll be feeling pretty good."

The number of running backs dwindled further when Roger Robinson, a rookie free agent out of Northern Arizona, went on the injured list June 2 with a hamstring strain.

seesred

Reaction score
Can you hear the stadium rocking the chant like we used to do for Larry..JJ, JJ, JJ..............Another 25 yard run for a touchdown by JJ Arrington....Crowd JJ,JJ,JJ,JJ..

GBR
In Green we trust

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Even if hes not the next Barry Sanders, I think he will end up being a better value than a lot of players picked ahead of him.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The fact that Green drafted him, pretty much assures that he will be the best RB for the Cardinals in the past 20 years.

Even mediocrity would guarantee him that.

sundevil81

Veteran
Reaction score
he's the one player im most excited to watch, im thinking 1200 yds and a good shot at ROY.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
I am proud to say that-I think-I was the first to pimp JJ on this board! ROY here we come!

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
When was the last Cardinal 1000 yard rusher? I cant remember now.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone is so positive this time of year. It makes me laugh. :biglaugh:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frank_N_Pine said:
JJ was quite the draft choice. Im stoked. :)

Sorry all but everyone is getting a tad carried away. The guy isnt quite anything just yet. Regardless of Greens praises.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
True, he hasn't proven anything yet but when is the last time fans had a reason to get excited about a rookie RB around here? Thomas Jones? JJ can't do much worse than him!

JJ and Shipp should complement each other well. I bet JJ gets the start since Green seems to give preference to his draft picks, but Shipp will get plenty of carries.

I think the real question is, who will be #3? Hambrick is treading on thin ice so he better show up in shape and ready to go in August or he could be LJ'd.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
I think the real question is, who will be #3? Hambrick is treading on thin ice so he better show up in shape and ready to go in August or he could be LJ'd.

He may not get the chance because he might be Kendalled while packing for camp.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I heard JJ is a slow starter and needs his touches. I hope that doesn't hurt him this year.

OP
OP
A

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Sorry all but everyone is getting a tad carried away. The guy isnt quite anything just yet. Regardless of Greens praises.
You are right.

However, based on Green's draft track record all this excitement hopefully will be please close if not right on the mark.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Carried away?

Us?

Hmmm, we've had to live with not just mediocrity but with out and out suckage for how many years?

When the luck turns, and it will, we are due for a HUGE payback, as in almost everything going way better than could ever reasonably be expected.

For example Big will discover the secret to cold fusion while eating pizza during camp and mankind will be grateful for the middle east will return to it's roots of nomadic herdsmen.

Boldin has already cured 9 of the 10 most deadly diseases he's just waiting to announce it for maximum team spirit effect.

Finally, during camp a part time ball boy/boy genius biochemist will develop a really cheap easy way of both cloning people and brain transplanting so we can live forever and have any body we want.

We of course will win the next 25 super bowls, mostly on last second field goals.

I'm ready.....