Grow the Team: Give me your starting lineups for Sunday

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
As the cliche' goes, the future is now.

There are no playoffs in our future, at least IMHO. Especially when most sports media giants have you the 31st team out of 32 teams, and most are eying up our game against Carolina to drop us to 32 out of 32.

It is time to grow this team.

QB: John Skelton

For Pete's sake we "Rode and died" with Anderson. Who cares if Skelton makes mistakes, we have been dealing with mistakes for the whole season. Just keep reminding the kid that "None of this really matters".

RB: Tim Hightower

And none of this back and forth stuff. Tim is a free agent at the end of the year, and in all seriousness we need to start looking at him as our starter. Not saying Chris Wells should be cut/traded, etc., etc. But if Chris Wells is supposed to be better than Hightower he has to start proving it. Wells has already blown the free pass you get when you are a first round pick. Now he will have to earn the spot like everyone else. Seriously, didn't we learn from the whole Leinart/Warner debacle, that you just start the best guy ?

FB: Who cares.

Seriously ? For right now ? I would put Hightower or Jim Dray in there. Maui'a sucks. At least we would know IF we Hightower or Dray has that versitility.

WR: Fitzgerald, Breaston, Roberts

Fitz, and Breaston are a gimme. Roberts should move up to the 3rd spot. Doucet is horrible, he caught whatever illness Jehreme Urban had while hear and just drops everything. He is GONE in the offseason, the 3rd round pick curse continues. At least lets see if Roberts is as poor a WR as he is a PR. This will also let Stephen Williams back in the mix at the 4th WR spot.

TE: Jim Dray

I hate our TE position. I really, really do. Jim Dray is a younger version of Steven Spach. Ben Patrick is gone in the offseason, at least I hope. What a disappointment Patrick has been on a HUGE scale. Play Dray, and lock in who should be our #2 TE for the next few years, keep in mind he is playing after a nasty knee injury in college the year before.

OT: Levi Brown, Jeff Bridges

Ugh. Just.......ugh. It has been too long to talk about potential. Brown is a bust. He is a solid OT but still for his position he is questionable starter, and that is not good enough. We signed Jeremy Bridges for 3 years (love that signing), he is our backup OT, and since Keith is hurt he goes in cause that is his job. I love the job Bridges does on special team, BTW.

OG: Deuce Lutui, Rex Hadnot/Alan Faneca

Lutui and be extremely critical of his play for the next 4 weeks. This is our "best lineman", he is a "run blocking guard", and our team cannot run consistently, and is 3-9. Just sayin', before we go ahead and throw money at him. I do not see, and wouldn't pay for it, IMO. Next is a choice between Faneca, and Sendlien. Rex Hadnot is signed for 3 years, much like Bridges, to be our backup. Let's see what Hadnot can do since we have seen Faneca, and Sendlien. I personally would start Faneca.

OC: Rex Hadnot/Lyle "pushed off the line" Sendlein

Look at the best running teams, and their center. That is not a coincedence. Sendlein is horrible. He is the Max Hall of offensive linemen. Sure his heart is big, and supposidely knows what he is doing, but that amounts to jack squat when you get blown off the line like he does, cannot block like he can't, and your team cannot run the ball. A poster said he knew this season was in the crapper once Sendlein was named captain. I agree. I really, really, really hope the Cardinals finally sign a NFL caliber center this offseason. How many more Nick Leckey, Jason Starkey, Lyle Sendlein do we need to watch ? Again, put in Hadnot, see what he can do.

DE: Darnell Dockett, Alan Branch

I think Dockett hear the whispers after his "what are we playing for comment" he played like the animal he is for 60 full minutes last game. Yes, Darnell that is what you are playing for: pride, fans and the color red. Loved that performance from him last week. Alan Branch. Alan Branch. WHERE HAS THIS BEEN !?!?! My hate for Branch was fueled like the hate some people have for Whiz right now. I was so happy to get Branch in the draft, and was 100% certain we had a NT for the next 10 years. Then he sucked, then he said he hates playing NT, then he was fat, and lazy. I guess John Lott said. "If you wanna play DE in this league then you cannot be the fat-ass you are now." Branch has noticably lost a lot of weight and now as a DE, is making difference out there. The light bulb was plugged into the wrong socket, and needed to drop some fat off the copper to make the right connection I guess. Branch is playing very, very well. So, well, and with such determination he may get himself a huge contact. And yes, Campbell rides the bench, and with 2 years left in his contract should be forced to beat out Branch next season, or IMO, learn to play OLB for pass rushing situations, I mean if Bertrand Berry, Okeafor, and a host of other DE's can do it why can't Campbell ?

Sidenote: Did anyone see Dockett covering a RB last week ? Not bad for the big guy.

NT: Dan Williams

Nuff said. He is "getting it" and in his rookie year that is something to be impressed with. Robinson ? Watson ? Bye, bye in the offseason.

OLB: Haggans, Porter

:( You just try to put in Schofield as much as possible, and I saw the Cardinals put Daryl Washington there a couple times last week....so, yeah keep doing that. What else are you going to do ? Porter and Haggans are the only ones that really know what to do there at this point. Ugh. Oh yeah, and I would personally try Campbell out of that spot a couple of times.

ILB: Hayes, Washington

Don't care if Washington is playing out of position, don't care the he over pursuits. Don't care. Get him in there. Take a REAL close look at Gerald Hayes, who still has 2 years on his contract. But, is he our starter next year ? Depth wise, the Cardinals are actually in pretty good shape at ILB, I stress depth wise. They need a stud SILB with Hayes starting to fall apart. But Hayes as the back up SILB, and Lenon as the backup WILB we are pretty good.

CB: DRC, Toler

The infatiuation with "Money Mike" is madness, IMO. The guy is not even worth the NB spot, IMO. I would like to see AJ Jefferson get a lot more time out on the field. Toler needs the work, and will be fine at CB. As for the coward.....how disappointing. DRC, is scared of getting hurt again. I hate to say it but it looks like he will never be the same after that injury, and that is in a negative way. DRC should and could be trade bait this year, cause he has been horrible, disappointing, and worst of all he is shameful to watch. That is not the kind of guy I want on my football team.

FS: Kerry Rhodes

The Bertrand Berry veteran acquisition for this era. I personally think he has played lights out. Better than Rolle could have or would have played this year. What he has done with ZERO pass rush has been impressive. Rashad Johnson should continue to be our 3rd safety in as well, he has made Matt Ware expendable, AND Ware should be inactive, in place of Abdullah, IMO.

SS: Adrian Wilson

It is look in the mirror time for Adrian Wilson. The old man has lost a step, and his future as a SS is going to be reliant on who the next DC brought in will be. But, what really concerns me is his lack of tackling this year. His decline has made safety the second most position of need in the offseason after QB, IMO.

Yet, even with his declining skills, I love the guy. And will root him on for the next four games.

K,P: Feeley, Graham.

PR: UGH!! Money Mike Madness strikes again. The sole reason Marshay Green sits and doesn't get a chance to return punts.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And none of this back and forth stuff. Tim is a free agent at the end of the year, and in all seriousness we need to start looking at him as our starter. Not saying Chris Wells should be cut/traded, etc., etc. But if Chris Wells is supposed to be better than Hightower he has to start proving it. Wells has already blown the free pass you get when you are a first round pick. Now he will have to earn the spot like everyone else. Seriously, didn't we learn from the whole Leinart/Warner debacle, that you just start the best guy ?

Who plays running back depends on what the Cards want to do on offense.

If they plan to run the ball more to protect the rookie QB then Wells should get the majority of snaps.

If they are going to continue to throw the ball 65% of the time then Hightower should get most of the snaps.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FB: Who cares.

Seriously ? For right now ? I would put Hightower or Jim Dray in there. Maui'a sucks. At least we would know IF we Hightower or Dray has that versitility.
Let me preface this by saying I'm not kidding...

I'd play Hadnot at FB for a bunch of snaps. We're not protecting the QB, so lets get another lineman on the field. Couldn't hurt in opening up holes in the middle, either.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd play Hadnot at FB for a bunch of snaps. We're not protecting the QB, so lets get another lineman on the field. Couldn't hurt in opening up holes in the middle, either.
Your are kidding right?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

We almost never throw to our TEs so why not put Hadnot in at TE.

Dockett at FB and Hadnot at TE and let those SOBs put 9 in the box. They'll be carrying them out in Pine boxes.

:koolaid:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start both Beanie and Tim in the backfield. Tim as the fullback. Run ridiculous running plays, play actions to beanie and pass to Tim. Just go bonkers.

Better than having a useless fullback..plus Tim can lay a block when he isn't running the rock.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Start both Beanie and Tim in the backfield. Tim as the fullback. Run ridiculous running plays, play actions to beanie and pass to Tim. Just go bonkers.

Better than having a useless fullback..plus Tim can lay a block when he isn't running the rock.

They should have drafted Tebow. Then they could put Beanie and TH at HB and LSH at WB and run that no huddle option offense all the colleges and high schools are running.

We'd have no trouble getting a top level QB to run our offense because we'd be the only team in the NFL looking for a guy like Denard Robinson.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rugby, Gerald Hayes is apparently signed through 2011. That's one year left on his deal, and I was surprised at that. I thought it was in a contract year. I actually don't mind going into next year with Washington, Hayes, Lenon, and a draft pick all competing. Although apparently Hayes is making $4.25 million next year(!). Maybe he'll be released at the end of training camp.

Tim Hightower is expected to be a restricted free agent this offseason. The Cards'll place the second-round tender on him, IMO, and pray that someone signs him to an offer sheet.

Branch disappared when he was thrust into a starting role by Campbell's injury. It's clear at this point that he's only a rotational player. So nice drafting work, Graves and Whis.

I like Jim Dray a lot, but Spach isn't the blocker that people here think that he is. Dray is a young Anthony Becht.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rugby, Gerald Hayes is apparently signed through 2011. That's one year left on his deal, and I was surprised at that. I thought it was in a contract year. I actually don't mind going into next year with Washington, Hayes, Lenon, and a draft pick all competing. Although apparently Hayes is making $4.25 million next year(!). Maybe he'll be released at the end of training camp.

Tim Hightower is expected to be a restricted free agent this offseason. The Cards'll place the second-round tender on him, IMO, and pray that someone signs him to an offer sheet.

Branch disappared when he was thrust into a starting role by Campbell's injury. It's clear at this point that he's only a rotational player. So nice drafting work, Graves and Whis.

I like Jim Dray a lot, but Spach isn't the blocker that people here think that he is. Dray is a young Anthony Becht.

K9 I disagree on Branch. Also with all the people bashing Campbell. Our Dline is the victim of horrendous LB play and extremely weak secondary support. The dline does what they are supposed to do but no one fills. Nobody backs them up. There is no pressure from the outside. Our Safeties don't blow up plays like other teams Safeties do. If I'm wrong I must be missing something in our defensive philosophy.

I'm not that hip on the Cards defensive scheme but were the two DE's really supposed to lead the team in sacks? I just can't see that being a feature of the 3-4.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
K9 I disagree on Branch. Also with all the people bashing Campbell. Our Dline is the victim of horrendous LB play and extremely weak secondary support. The dline does what they are supposed to do but no one fills. Nobody backs them up. There is no pressure from the outside. Our Safeties don't blow up plays like other teams Safeties do. If I'm wrong I must be missing something in our defensive philosophy.

I'm not that hip on the Cards defensive scheme but were the two DE's really supposed to lead the team in sacks? I just can't see that being a feature of the 3-4.

I mean, I think Branch can be a really good substitution player, but I don't want him as a starter. I don't think anyone will pay him as a starter, but if the team doesn't pay him a 4 year, $16 million contract with $6 million guaranteed, then it's a mistake. I don't think he can play as a starter, though. I don't think he's a two-gap player.

Campbell deserves some of the bashing because he was bad early in the season. Once he came back from injury, I think he's been better. But Coach Whis went after him this week in his press conference, so apparently fans aren't alone at looking at his 2010 season with a gimlet eye. I agree with you that a lot of the opprobrium being heaped on our DEs is undeserved because the OLB play has been so very, very bad. But that doesn't excuse the entire season's performance. At some point, someone has to make a play. My 20+ sacks projection below was absolutely overly optimistic, but will Dockett and Campbell combine for 15 sacks this year? Right now, they have 6 between them.

When did Calais Campbell collect 4 sacks? Good on him.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score

RB: Beanie Wells

FB: DRAY*

WR: Fitzgerald, Breaston, WIlliams

TE: Patrick

OT: Levi Brown, Bridges

OG: Deuce Lutui, Rex Hadnot

OC: Lyle Sendlein

OLB: Haggans, Schofield (put Porter in as situational guy).

ILB: A.Wilson*, Washington

FS: Matt Ware*

SS: Kerry Rhodes*

*= its time to experiment.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
But Coach Whis went after him this week in his press conference,

That is not true. Just something someone read into CKW's comparative responses to questions about Big Dan and CC. It is just another internet storm.

One person claims CC is not playing as well as last year and the next thing you know everybody is irrationally jumping on the bash Campbell band wagon.

Would someone who has said that CC is not playing up to par please show me some specifics. He's on pace to have the same numbers as last season despite missing a game.

Its gotten so bad that the dude comes all the way across the field to get to Jackson when none of the other players on the team including those who started the play on that side of the field can even come close to him and only CC gets bashed for not stopping Jackson. (DRC got bashed for running away but thats different.)

As for sacks I was talking about CC and DD having 7 sacks apiece last season leading the team. I don't think that is a result you would expect from a solid 3-4 is it? But considering you had them getting a lot of sacks is there something different about the CArds 3-4 because you don't see other teams DEs getting those numbers.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
If they plan to run the ball more to protect the rookie QB then Wells should get the majority of snaps.

Why ?

The stats don't lie.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/statistics?team=ARI

Hightower has more big runs, a full yard ahead of Wells in YPC, and nearly 4 times the receptions.

Wells shouldn't get the majority of anything until he beats Hightower out for the position, IMO. Right now Wells is #2 stat wise, and from watching the games, skill wise.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Campbell deserves some of the bashing because he was bad early in the season. Once he came back from injury, I think he's been better. But Coach Whis went after him this week in his press conference, so apparently fans aren't alone at looking at his 2010 season with a gimlet eye. I agree with you that a lot of the opprobrium being heaped on our DEs is undeserved because the OLB play has been so very, very bad. But that doesn't excuse the entire season's performance. At some point, someone has to make a play. My 20+ sacks projection below was absolutely overly optimistic, but will Dockett and Campbell combine for 15 sacks this year? Right now, they have 6 between them.

For those of you scoring at home:

Opprobrium:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/opprobrium?show=0&t=1292080564

That is 18 points in scrabble ladies and gentlemen.

:cards:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

RB: Beanie Wells

FB: DRAY*

WR: Fitzgerald, Breaston, WIlliams

OT: Levi Brown, Bridges

OG: Deuce Lutui, Rex Hadnot

OC: Lyle Sendlein

OLB: Haggans, Schofield (put Porter in as situational guy).

ILB: A.Wilson*, Washington

FS: Matt Ware*

SS: Kerry Rhodes*

*= its time to experiment.

My two questions are:

Matt Ware instead of Rashad Johnson ?

With Wilson and Washington who plays SILB ?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Why ?

The stats don't lie.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/arizonacardinals/statistics?team=ARI

Hightower has more big runs, a full yard ahead of Wells in YPC, and nearly 4 times the receptions.

Wells shouldn't get the majority of anything until he beats Hightower out for the position, IMO. Right now Wells is #2 stat wise, and from watching the games, skill wise.

They don't lie, but they can certainly mislead. Yes, Hightower has more big runs, but if you take out his 80 yard TD run, and his 32 yard run last week (only two runs out of 111 on the year), and his YPC drops to a very pedestrian 3.7 YPC. That's when you take out his two shortest runs.

For comparison's sake, if you do that with Adrian Peterson, he still averages 4.3 YPC (OMG, can you believe we passed on him for Levi Brown?). If you do it with MoJo Drew, he's averaging 4.3 YPC (his longest run of the season is only 37 yards?!). If you do it with Chris Johnson, it's 3.98 YPC.

This is one of the reasons that I believe that THT is better suited for a situational/sub role in the offense. He's good for a couple plays a game, but he's not consistent enough to keep the passing games out of holes. I bet he's a league leader in negative yardage runs, and last week he was going down on runs where there was zero contact because I think he was afraid he'd cough up the ball.

Beanie doesn't seem to put the offense into second-and-10, third-and-eight positions as frequently as THT does. And I'd be willing to bet that THT has four or five times the number of drops that Beanie has, especially on third down.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
QB: Skelton
RB: Beanie (60%)/THT(30%)/LSH(10%)
FB: whoever...THT, Dray, Dockett, an OLman
T: Brown, Bridges
G: Hadnot, Lutui
C: Faneca

DE: Dockett, Campbell