Hack-A-Shaq to be reviewed in the offseason

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3386266

Along with clock issues.....

Good news!! I think this totally disrupts the flow of the game. I know it was a strategy that worked well for the Spurs against us, but made the offensive sets predictable towards the end of the quarter.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
In a rare turn of events, I actually agree with Bufalay..

Wait.. who said that? :lol:

Seriously though, this is silly. The solution is for players to learn to shoot free throws. I hate the Hack-A-Shaq as much as anyone, but it's a fair tactic that attacks the weak part of a players game. The best "fix" for the situation is for the big idiot to learn to make free throws. He makes 20 million dollars a year, it's hardly too much to ask. I'm still against the idea of changing NBA rules to compensate for the fact that Shaq can't make free throws.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Seriously though, this is silly. The solution is for players to learn to shoot free throws. I hate the Hack-A-Shaq as much as anyone, but it's a fair tactic that attacks the weak part of a players game. The best "fix" for the situation is for the big idiot to learn to make free throws. He makes 20 million dollars a year, it's hardly too much to ask. I'm still against the idea of changing NBA rules to compensate for the fact that Shaq can't make free throws.

:yeahthat:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Disagree. No team should be benefitting from breaking the rules. There is also no reason to foul someone away from the ball for no reason.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree. No team should be benefitting from breaking the rules. There is also no reason to foul someone away from the ball for no reason.

It's not breaking the rules. A foul is called.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not breaking the rules. A foul is called.

When you foul someone, you break the rules.

:slap:

Just because a foul is called, doesn't mean that they didn't break that rule.

Two possible changes to this rule.

If a team intentionally fouls someone away from the ball...:

A) Allow the team to send their best free throw shooter to the line, a la Technical fouls.
B) Allow the team to make a decision to accept the free throws, or decline the foul (like the NFL) and the ball is taken out of bounds.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you foul someone, you break the rules.

:slap:

Just because a foul is called, doesn't mean that they didn't break that rule.

Two possible changes to this rule.

If a team intentionally fouls someone away from the ball...:

A) Allow the team to send their best free throw shooter to the line, a la Technical fouls.
B) Allow the team to make a decision to accept the free throws, or decline the foul (like the NFL) and the ball is taken out of bounds.

Meh, defining intent isnt always black and white.

BTW, I felt this way when Shaq was a Laker.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shocker:Resident Laker fan's #1 and #2 agree on this issue....both having been victims of the low-ball tactic in the past.......
Shocker:A rule gets altered or changed too late to help the SUNS cause.....

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Rules get changed all the time because of players. You don't think that the dozen or so rule changes because of Wilt Chamberlin were fair either?

What about the Barkley rule about backing their defender down on the paint for 20 of the 24 seconds?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Shocker:Resident Laker fan's #1 and #2 agree on this issue....both having been victims of the low-ball tactic in the past.......

I was against changing the Hack-A-Shaq when Shaq was a Laker as well. The reason was because, simply put, it didn't work. Everytime they did it, Shaq would start hitting them and we would win. I have only seen the Hack-A-Shaq work once in my life and that was this year in the playoffs. Still, I don't think it would work on a regular basis.

I posted once before that even the top offensive teams in the league average 1.3 points per possession when taken over the course of a Game. The only way the Hack-A-Shaq works is if Shaq misses both free throws on a regular basis. As long as he hits even 50% of them, it doesn't work. If he can't hit 50% then sit him on the bench till he can. Problem solved.

Oh, btw.. Donald and abomb were both here first, so was Renz and BIM.. I'm like "Resident Laker Fan number 5" or something. ;)

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think a team getting fouled should have the option of shooting FT's or choosing possession of the ball. This would take away any advantage the fouling team might have.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Hack-a-Shaq in how it's been practiced is an easy "judgment" call of intent for the refs. It's clear against the true spirit of the game, not to mention against the intent of the syndicate called NBA to make it pleasing for the viewers. If they can alter the handchecking rule, the defensive 3-sec rule, etc., there is no reason why they shouldn't alter the hack-a-XXX rule.

wsupkid

Registered
Reaction score

Lets just call it the Shaq #2 rule.

If def 3 sec rule can be placed as a rule because shaq is to big and fills the lane. Than why not this?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Agreed that an intentional foul away from the ball is pretty easy to judge.

I don't have a problem with fouling poor FT shooters as long as they are a part of the play. Shaq gets the ball down low with deep position, foul the hell out of him, but when he's 75 ft from the play in the backcourt, it's dumb. It always has been.

I've accepted it though because it is legal, but I think it is something that needs to be changed, or looked at besides the last 2 minutes in the fourth quarter resolution they tried coming up with.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'd agree if they did away with intentional fouls at the end of a game then as well.

Right now, no rules are being broken. But I don't see how you can create a rule to disallow one and allow the other. What, "no fouling guys who suck at free throws?"

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd agree if they did away with intentional fouls at the end of a game then as well.

Right now, no rules are being broken. But I don't see how you can create a rule to disallow one and allow the other. What, "no fouling guys who suck at free throws?"

In that case (intentional fouls at the end of the game), you are always fouling the guy with the ball.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it's a lowball tactic and it sucks...but it was effective. I always put it on Shaq to improve his FTs enough to stop the tactic. He couldn't care less about it though, so I can't blame other coaches for exploiting one of his few weaknesses.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Lets just call it the Shaq #2 rule.

If def 3 sec rule can be placed as a rule because shaq is to big and fills the lane. Than why not this?

That rule was not changed just for Shaq. He was a main example, but he wasn't the sole reason that rule was changed.

Where I work, they employ similar logic and it drives me insane. If someone makes a mistake or misses a procedure, they don't reprimand the employee, they change the policy to dumb it down for everyone. I have never liked this type of logic in any forum. If many players were getting hacked, that would be one thing, if it's just "for Shaq" then I oppose the change. This goes the same for players I like, it just makes no sense.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

If you're fouling the guy with the ball at the end of the game that's all and good. You're not allowed to foul off the ball at the end of games.You get a FT plus the ball back, or two more FT's if you're in the bonus, so why should it be all good for the rest of the game?

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think its done more so that it really "mocks" the game somehow..

I mean, O'Neal getting chased out of bounds by a 12th man, it looks pretty "bad" front the audience.

Its a basketball tactic no doubt, I dont think its a bad tactic at all, as someone stated, pretty much a "free" shot with the clock stopped... its good.
Its simply up to the player to make them.

But again, for "entertainment" value wise... and the fact that many other leagues dont have such a big issue with such tactics.... NBA needs to somehow "limit" its usage. I think, it should only be used twice in a half. After the "2 times" its used, it should either be.

[1] One shot and possesion.

OR

[2] Anyone can shoot it.