Hack-A-Shaq to be reviewed in the offseason

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I honestly don't remember "Hack a Shaq" being used off the ball when he was with the Lakers. Yes, everybody would foul him when he got the ball in close rather than giv up an easy 2; but 60 feet from the basket?

BTW, one option would be for the refs to simply not calls those fouls. Stern could simply instruct the refs not to call those fouls anymore, meaning fouling teams would have to get so severe it would generate the current extra penatly calls.

It was. He just made them then.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
When the simple fact is that this would be a NON factor in the game if the big dope can actually make an uncontested 15 foot shot! There would be no such thing as Hack A Shaq if he could make his free throws! ... No one would hack the big slob if he could make his free throws! If he actually made his free throws, their would be no Hack a Shaq for the league to look into!

So, are you saying this wouldn't be an issue if O'Neal were a better free-throw shooter?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
So, are you saying this wouldn't be an issue if O'Neal were a better free-throw shooter?

Or Skinner...

My read on it that there must be some kind of rule in college basketball that limits off the ball intentional fouling. They are allowed to foul in the last two minutes, but there is a huge emphasis on getting the inbound pass to a good foul shooter and not passing to a bad one.

Memphis lost the championship because even their "good" foul shooters missed. But if KU could have just fouled Dorsey off the ball, it would have been hopeless for the Tigers.

CardinalsFan11

Registered
Reaction score
On a different note, because I don't think we'll get Irish to change his mind :)

In the last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter an off-the-ball foul results in one shot and the ball out of bounds. Why isn't this rule extended to all quarters? The last 2 minutes of the 4th quarter are no more important than the last 2 minutes of the first three quarters.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
But not as big an issue for the NBA to actually change a rule over it.

Why not. It is not a huge deal and thus much easier to change than something like actually enforcing the hand checking rule consistently. That would foul out the entire Spurs team.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I do think the league needs to tread carefully on this issue because it could have unintended/unexpected consequences. Lets say, for instance, that they decided that any off the ball foul by a defensive player results in a technical style FT (i.e. offensive team picks the shooter) plus the ball out of bounds once the defensive team is over the foul limit. That would stop the Hack-a-XXXX cold, but it could and probably would promote a good deal more flopping off the ball by the offensive players. It would be in effect about a third of the time in every game - heck they'd be encouraged to have a try at flopping all the time because if it worked the other team would be closer to the foul limit - as of now, there nothing lost by trying a flop. Of course, a flop is not quite as disruptive to the flow of the game as the Hack-a-XXXX but it probably would occur much more than the latter, so you've traded one evil for another.

I would suggest that letting the team choose the FT shooter should be weakened - make the person fouled shoot it. Then, at least, the weak FT shooters have less reason to try flopping.

Bigdez22

Registered
Reaction score
the irony is that i felt this rule should have been changed when shaq was a laker. it makes the game boring and really deviates from the way the game is supposed to be played. do you see intentional fouling in pickup games? no, b/c that would be stupid and it has no place in the GAME. i understand it's currently legal on the present rules, but that is why rules should be reviewed, to see if the product can be improved. does anyone other than the fan of the team playing AGAINST shaq (or individuals with a vendetta against shaq) really enjoy watching that in a good game? feh.

:thumbup:......I know i am new. but whats up with all the Faker fans on here. The Faker fans dont have there own board?

cly2tw

Reaction score
I do think the league needs to tread carefully on this issue because it could have unintended/unexpected consequences. Lets say, for instance, that they decided that any off the ball foul by a defensive player results in a technical style FT (i.e. offensive team picks the shooter) plus the ball out of bounds once the defensive team is over the foul limit. That would stop the Hack-a-XXXX cold, but it could and probably would promote a good deal more flopping off the ball by the offensive players. It would be in effect about a third of the time in every game - heck they'd be encouraged to have a try at flopping all the time because if it worked the other team would be closer to the foul limit - as of now, there nothing lost by trying a flop. Of course, a flop is not quite as disruptive to the flow of the game as the Hack-a-XXXX but it probably would occur much more than the latter, so you've traded one evil for another.

I would suggest that letting the team choose the FT shooter should be weakened - make the person fouled shoot it. Then, at least, the weak FT shooters have less reason to try flopping.

Don't quite follow your logic here. To make it a "techinical", the fouling move is to be deemed by the refs as no-basketball related. A moving screen away from the ball is still just a basketball play and to be called as a regular foul, not as "away from ball technical".

The refs would be facing the exact same incentives to flopping as before. The hacker in hack-a-XXX normally informs the ref of his act to save time. This part can't be faked (flopped) by the victim.:D

Errntknght

Reaction score
Don't quite follow your logic here. To make it a "techinical", the fouling move is to be deemed by the refs as no-basketball related.

I didn't say the foul would be a technical foul - just that it would be shot like a technical - the team selects the player to shoot the FT and there is no rebound. In other words, exactly what has been proposed in several posts.

The refs would be facing the exact same incentives to flopping as before. The hacker in hack-a-XXX normally informs the ref of his act to save time. This part can't be faked (flopped) by the victim.

Under the changed rule the defender would not be trying to call the refs attention to the foul as they sometimes do presently, so that objection evaporates.

rgangel27

Rookie
Reaction score
I understand the League "fine tuning" their rules to improve whatever they feel needs to be improved. Every league does it. Their are new rules every year from the NFL, NHL & NBA. That's fine. But were not talking about ALL the fine tuning rule changes that a league makes to improve the game the way they see fit. We are talking about THIS rule. The Hack a Shaq rule. When the simple fact is that this would be a NON factor in the game if the big dope can actually make an uncontested 15 foot shot! There would be no such thing as Hack A Shaq if he could make his free throws! What annoys me is that everyone is quick to jump on the "yeah, it ruins the game" bandwagon. I call BS. No one would hack the big slob if he could make his free throws! If he actually made his free throws, their would be no Hack a Shaq for the league to look into!

So your point was that if a player does not have a high free throw percentage they shouldnt be playing in the NBA because of the possibility of a "Hack a Whoever " even if they were a 7'3 center , unstoppable once in the post, attracts triple teams, scores 25 points a game, passes like a point guard and catches the ball like he dipped his hands in glue?

The fact is their will always be players who are not good with their free throws and coaches that would consider to use the Hack the XXX rule.....ALWAYS. And what is stopping them from abusing it? NADA.

If it was really not that concerning, Stern and his gang wouldn't even consider wasting hours of their time reviewing the damn thing.

rgangel27

Rookie
Reaction score
And once again, I am asking what's wrong with the product now??

Again, you say that as if to say this is a common thing that happens nightly with every team accross the league. Hack a whoever rarely ever happens.

So everyone wants Stern to take away all the competitive aspects away from the game so that he may "entertain" his viewers. LAME.

I thought that in sport competition was more important than entertaining. Ask the Spurs. They can care less if they are the lowest rated team to be viewed in the NBA Finals. They just want to be competitive and win rather than be entertaining.

What is exactly competitive about the Hack a XX rule?

I payed to watch basketball and not TAG.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
If they don't do something about it, it could escalate into every team enlisting this technique. Every team has poor foul shooters. It could morph into other things as well. Teams could begin employing thugs with the sole purpose of instigating fights with playmakers to get them off the court. That is what this is all about. Get someone off the court if we don't matchup well with him. Popabitch was essentially trying to force D'antoni to take Shaq off the floor. I don't think it would've mattered one bit if Shaq made the shots. Popabitch was playing the odds that at some point Shaq would miss some and it would pressure the Suns to make a change, if only to try to restore a rhythm to the game.

Can you picture this happening; One player comes in to foul an opposing player. The opposing player doesn't want to be fouled so he runs from the touchy, feely player. He won't be able to escape on his own, so the coach designs screens and picks to protect him. Pretty soon it becomes "Keystone Kops on Court".

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
:thumbup:......I know i am new. but whats up with all the Faker fans on here. The Faker fans dont have there own board?

man, i hope you're not calling me a laker fan!

most of the lakers fans are cardinals fans that can't help themselves and have to drift over to the suns board.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Can you picture this happening; One player comes in to foul an opposing player. The opposing player doesn't want to be fouled so he runs from the touchy, feely player. He won't be able to escape on his own, so the coach designs screens and picks to protect him. Pretty soon it becomes "Keystone Kops on Court".

oh man, i wish dantoni had devised something like that during the series just to accentuate the ridiculosity of the strategy.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05