Hadn't seen this were the Eagles cheating on FG's and Xp's?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Apparently there's video evidence of their holder, and punter, removing a "white object" from the field right after an Xp was kicked and if you replay it you can see that white object "under the ball" when it was kicked. If true, it's against NFL rules. Apparently someone tipped off the NFL.

pemory09

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
A little gamesmanship, probably by Shanahan, in anticipation of having to likely travel to Philly for the NFC Championship Game. I believe he similarly tipped off the league to Seattle and lineman downfield illegally as the Hawks were hit with several of these calls on Saturday.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little gamesmanship, probably by Shanahan, in anticipation of having to likely travel to Philly for the NFC Championship Game. I believe he similarly tipped off the league to Seattle and lineman downfield illegally as the Hawks were hit with several of these calls on Saturday.

Well if there's actual video of them doing it I would agree it's cheating. the purpose of it would be to elevate the ball so it's easier to kick.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It was the same player, #68, three straight times. I kept wondering, “why doesn’t that idiot just stay back?”

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
Sounds like fake news to me. How the heck is someone going to place something under the ball during a FG? The holder doesn´t have the time or accuracy to set it on something, and the center can´t go up and attach something to the ball with everyone watching. So someone please explain to me what I am forgetting? Sounds only like a good way to forfeit a game to me.

Much more likely is that a team would hire a cosmologist to figure out the gravitational pull and warping of space time due to the next comet leaving the Kuiper Belt.

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Sounds like fake news to me. How the heck is someone going to place something under the ball during a FG? The holder doesn´t have the time or accuracy to set it on something, and the center can´t go up and attach something to the ball with everyone watching. So someone please explain to me what I am forgetting? Sounds only like a good way to forfeit a game to me.
This

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Much more likely is that a team would hire a cosmologist to figure out the gravitational pull and warping of space time due to the next comet leaving the Kuiper Belt.
Had same thought re timing.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

THey explain it in the link that there was something on the field where the holder was and that's where he set the ball. They go on to say this. Note they also said even something as small as a coin could be and has been used in the past to get an edge on FG"s and XPs.

“Mechanically, it would be appropriate to warn a head coach if a kicker/holder tandem is observed attempting this tactic. Either the referee or umpire, who line up behind the kicker on a field goal attempt, should be glancing at the spot directly in front of the holder for any foreign object. If either official notices something being placed down by the holder, they should simply walk over and pick it up, and inform the coach following the play. Preventative officiating should prevail and officials should attempt to thwart this behavior before the ball is snapped.”

Carolinacacti

Hall of Famer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THey explain it in the link that there was something on the field where the holder was and that's where he set the ball. They go on to say this. Note they also said even something as small as a coin could be and has been used in the past to get an edge on FG"s and XPs.

“Mechanically, it would be appropriate to warn a head coach if a kicker/holder tandem is observed attempting this tactic. Either the referee or umpire, who line up behind the kicker on a field goal attempt, should be glancing at the spot directly in front of the holder for any foreign object. If either official notices something being placed down by the holder, they should simply walk over and pick it up, and inform the coach following the play. Preventative officiating should prevail and officials should attempt to thwart this behavior before the ball is snapped.”
We are talking NFL officials which are as bad as NBA officials. Is it reviewable?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I think Feely tweeted about this not too long ago, he said it was athletic tape and it doesn’t in any way effect the kick itself. it’s just the holder marking the spot for the kicker. I have no idea if it gives any kind of unfair advantage or not but that was his explanation.