Harry, How Did We Do?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Harry's waiting to let us enjoy our koolaid before he comes and pees in it.

It's just not Cardinal world to have this much happiness with basically no poster upset with the Draft.

Come on Harry, we can take it.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Just saw the grades from the NFL site.

49's B
Rams B
Cardinals C+
Seahawks C

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

49's B
Rams B
Cardinals C+
Seahawks C

That's garbage.

The 49ers had a few reaches and a few puzzlers (LaMichael James? they have a WAY crowded backfield). The Rams started with the #2 pick and walked away with a good run stuffer. And the Seahawks reached with nearly every pick.

moosehead

All Star
Reaction score

49's B
Rams B
Cardinals C+
Seahawks C

Odd how we can be practically unanimous (and that never happens) in how happy we are, the FO seems happy, and all the pundits will come out dissing the organization anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

49's B
Rams B
Cardinals C+
Seahawks C

I don't understand how anyone could give us less than a B. If you have Floyd as a strong pick we should be an easy A or A+.

Steve

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't understand how anyone could give us less than a B. If you have Floyd as a strong pick we should be an easy A or A+.

I was watching the NFL network yesterday and I forget who exactly it was that gave the grade but it seemed to boil down to not drafting anyone in the defensive front seven. His line of thinking was that the 49ers are the class of the division and they are a tough physical team and the Cards didn't do anything to close that gap. Kind of a head scratcher in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was watching the NFL network yesterday and I forget who exactly it was that gave the grade but it seemed to boil down to not drafting anyone in the defensive front seven. His line of thinking was that the 49ers are the class of the division and they are a tough physical team and the Cards didn't do anything to close that gap. Kind of a head scratcher in my opinion.

It was probably Lombardi. He pays lip service to the BPA concept but the words out of his mouth scream draft for need. I think you grade a team's draft solely by the "perceived" talent they bring in because it's just the draft, it's not the entire offseason. You have free agency to address problem areas.

Steve

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
15. Bruce Irvin, DE/OLB, West Virginia: MATT MILLEN LSD-LACED KIELBASA ORGY WITH 200 USDA MEN Grade Wow!!! What the hell are the Seahawks doing? You pick one-trick ponies in the third or fourth round. And you pick one-trick ponies who get arrested for robbery and defacing public property in the sixth or seventh round. Did Seattle write the wrong name down on the card? If they did mean to pick him, did they even watch him on tape? He's an athlete playing football. This is one of the worst draft picks of all time.

:lol:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
It was probably Lombardi. He pays lip service to the BPA concept but the words out of his mouth scream draft for need. I think you grade a team's draft solely by the "perceived" talent they bring in because it's just the draft, it's not the entire offseason. You have free agency to address problem areas.

Steve

Lombardi loved the Jags taking the punter in round 3. That should tell you everything you need to know about his draft evaluations.

NOTE - I think Anger will be a solid NFL punter and no one will care much where he was drafted if he's a top-tier punter for the Jags for the next 10 years. And, the Jags didn't have a 4th round pick, but still - a punter in the third round?!

seesred

Reaction score
Give me a grade on players after two years. Nobody knows how this will stack up on talent. However do these guys watch any film to rate us under a B+?

GBR

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lombardi loved the Jags taking the punter in round 3. That should tell you everything you need to know about his draft evaluations.

NOTE - I think Anger will be a solid NFL punter and no one will care much where he was drafted if he's a top-tier punter for the Jags for the next 10 years. And, the Jags didn't have a 4th round pick, but still - a punter in the third round?!

I give them a pass on this one. I love the player and I think in the end he will actually prove to be a good pick. It's hard to justify a 3rd round pick for a guy that almost definitely would have been there in the next round but if you know he's the guy you want sometimes you have to go against the norm.

Steve

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
The draft grades are always like this. Teams like the Patriots who have a great QB (where they are then able to win regardless of players selected in this QB driven league, as once was the case when the Colts had Manning) are given high marks for stock piling picks but hardly for drafting players (some kind of weird game, as number of picks and not quality of players is the barometer) and people filling need with multiple picks (regardless if the picks are quality) like the Rams are awarded high marks.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Steve

Lombardi downgraded our draft because we didn't address 0-line with our first pick. I guarantee you that if the Pats or Giants had selected Massie at the end of the first or second round he would have lauded the pick.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lombardi downgraded our draft because we didn't address 0-line with our first pick. I guarantee you that if the Pats or Giants had selected Massie at the end of the first or second round he would have lauded the pick.
Very few if any pundits understand our team as well as we do.

They just never gotten the urgency of straightening out our offensive line play. (Most of them think of the Cardinals in terms of Larry jumping thru the roof to make another sick grab. That's where it begins and ends).

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Steve

You are right it was Lombardi who came up with those grades. Along with what you said he expected us to draft tougher guys to counter act the 49ers toughness. Basically he wanted us to reach for an OL no matter what and draft as if were are playing the 49ers 16 times a year.

That is why he down graded our draft.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You are right it was Lombardi who came up with those grades. Along with what you said he expected us to draft tougher guys to counter act the 49ers toughness. Basically he wanted us to reach for an OL no matter what and draft as if were are playing the 49ers 16 times a year.

I invite Lombardi to review our last meeting with SF where we beat up on their O-line and say we aren't tough enough.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The draft grades are always like this. Teams like the Patriots who have a great QB (where they are then able to win regardless of players selected in this QB driven league, as once was the case when the Colts had Manning) are given high marks for stock piling picks but hardly for drafting players (some kind of weird game, as number of picks and not quality of players is the barometer) and people filling need with multiple picks (regardless if the picks are quality) like the Rams are awarded high marks.

People also tend to judge drafts on where a player was taken in relation to where he was projected. For instance a team gets an A+ grade for a 6th round pick because he was in someone's top 100. No mention of whether the guy is any good or fits with the team that selected him.

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score

Lombardi is a self-centered tool. He's way to full of himself. I always wondered why in the world he always thinks his idea of what a team should do is the absolute correct way to do it. Oh and he's also an admitted Kolb hater from the word go.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
lol, that logic is awful. Yes, SF was the best team out of our division last season. But I seem to recall our D whooping that ass in the 2nd meeting
Personally, homerism aside, I think they got this right.
I don't. The A+ for Lindley makes no sense at all

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I suppose part of it is what they are basing their grades on.

If you're grading based on talent per pick, we should be an A.
If you're grading based on overall talent added relative to other teams, we should be a B or C. (no 2nd round pick)
If you're grading based on how well you did at addressing your direct needs, we should be a B or C. (no LBers, didn't get the "best" OT we could have because we took Floyd).