Hasson Reddick

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I feel like this deserves its own thread. Though going after Hassan doesn’t feel like a MO type of move, I so wish they would get this done!

He’s about to turn 30 later this month and he’s obviously looking for that last payday but I would pull the trigger on say a 3 year deal?

He just makes sense for so many obvious reasons:

1. We actually have the cap space to go get him and give him the new contract he’s seeking.
2. At this point the Jets aren’t getting what they gave up for him (a 3rd rd pick), so at worst you give up a 4th rd pick but the asking price goes down with each passing game.
3. He’s excelled with JG and that could be a real selling point in him being interested in coming to the desert.
4. It’s time to exercise the demons and bring him home!!!
5. The pass rush is our weakest position.

He has 50.5 sacks over the last 4 seasons. I think he’s still got a couple prime years left in him.

This is just a low risk move IMO and I think signing him for a 4th rd pick or 5th rd pick is pocket change.

It’s crazy to think how fast we could change a weakness into a strength. Next year you could have Reddick, BJ & DRob getting consistent pressure on the QB.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Jets should just pay him now that their main pass rusher tore his achilles. I also think Douglas would rather let Reddick sit out the entire year rather than trade him away for less than a 3rd.

Getting Reddick, assuming he still has juice, would be a dream come true.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Have actually been thinking about making a seperate thread several times.

We know the interest is there. Confirmed communication between Monti and Douglas.

We know the Cap room is there and impact to it getting smaller by the week.

So what's is preventing this from happening?
Can only be down to 3 factors IMO.
The asking price from the Jets
The new contract asking price from Reddick
Timing. Reddick has to report by week 10 in order to make this season eligible and become a free agent after the season.

Since nothing has happened yet. Either the Jets' price or Reddick's demand is too rich for Monti at this point. As we come closer to week 10, Reddick will be forced to play at his current contract and you could offer a low pick to compensate the Jets and give Reddick a perfect situation to prove himself. He knows the system and he knows that he had his best production under JG.

I would think it makes perfect sense. We have no clue what to expect from BJ at this point with the history of injuries. We know that Collins is an excellent OLB in all other aspects than pass-rushing and should not be a #1 edge. We know Gardeck is a very very good 3rd down rusher that only should get limited snaps. Reddick would slide right into the #1 spot:

Reddick #1 - OLB-pass-rusher
Collins #2 - 2 down OLB/coverage OLB
Gardeck #3 Sub for Collins on 3rd/passing downs
Thomas/Dimukeje rotational pieces.

By adding Reddick the group becomes very solid group IMO and shift the rotation so Collins and Gardeck plays the role on the depth chart, where they can excel. So not only will Reddick add to the talent of the team, but it would also make Collins and Gardeck more impactful.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Have actually been thinking about making a seperate thread several times.

We know the interest is there. Confirmed communication between Monti and Douglas.

We know the Cap room is there and impact to it getting smaller by the week.

So what's is preventing this from happening?
Timing. Reddick has to report by week 10 in order to make this season eligible and become a free agent after the season.

Since nothing has happened yet. Either the Jets' price or Reddick's demand is too rich for Monti at this point. As we come closer to week 10, Reddick will be forced to play at his current contract and you could offer a low pick to compensate the Jets and give Reddick a perfect situation to prove himself. He knows the system and he knows that he had his best production under JG.

I would think it makes perfect sense. We have no clue what to expect from BJ at this point with the history of injuries. We know that Collins is an excellent OLB in all other aspects than pass-rushing and should not be a #1 edge. We know Gardeck is a very very good 3rd down rusher that only should get limited snaps. Reddick would slide right into the #1 spot:

Reddick #1 - OLB-pass-rusher
Collins #2 - 2 down OLB/coverage OLB
Gardeck #3 Sub for Collins on 3rd/passing downs
Thomas/Dimukeje rotational pieces.

By adding Reddick the group becomes very solid group IMO and shift the rotation so Collins and Gardeck plays the role on the depth chart, where they can excel. So not only will Reddick add to the talent of the team, but it would also make Collins and Gardeck more impactful.
Or... Monti is waiting to see our record after a tough run in our season.
If playoffs look like a real possibility even without Reddick...then pull the trigger so we can be serious in the playoffs.
But if we are sucking wind...save the third round pick for a deep defensive draft

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
If playoffs look like a real possibility even without Reddick...then pull the trigger so we can be serious in the playoffs.
But if we are sucking wind...save the third round pick for a deep defensive draft
A very good point....

If we come out for the first 6 games 3-3 instead of the predicted 1-5 or 2-4, then it makes that more sense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I feel like this deserves its own thread. Though going after Hassan doesn’t feel like a MO type of move, I so wish they would get this done!

He’s about to turn 30 later this month and he’s obviously looking for that last payday but I would pull the trigger on say a 3 year deal?

He just makes sense for so many obvious reasons:

1. We actually have the cap space to go get him and give him the new contract he’s seeking.
2. At this point the Jets aren’t getting what they gave up for him (a 3rd rd pick), so at worst you give up a 4th rd pick but the asking price goes down with each passing game.
3. He’s excelled with JG and that could be a real selling point in him being interested in coming to the desert.
4. It’s time to exercise the demons and bring him home!!!
5. The pass rush is our weakest position.

He has 50.5 sacks over the last 4 seasons. I think he’s still got a couple prime years left in him.

This is just a low risk move IMO and I think signing him for a 4th rd pick or 5th rd pick is pocket change.

It’s crazy to think how fast we could change a weakness into a strength. Next year you could have Reddick, BJ & DRob getting consistent pressure on the QB.
Makes too much sense.

Stout

Reaction score
That would be a terrible strategy, considering he could help us be better and make the playoffs more of a possibility. But, yes, this feels like a passive Monti strategy.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
one possibility: Joe Douglas wont trade him as a matter of principle. He will not be bullied by a player.

its dumb, but a possibility

OP
OP
JosiahLee

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If we can give up a 5th for Dobbs we can give up a 5th for Reddick lol

But yeah, even if we had to wait til the trade deadline I still want to see this happen.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn’t think Reddick was particularly good at setting an edge?

I seem to remember him being a bit light for the run game.

I feel if Gannon wanted him he would be here already.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

Again, it depends on the contract Reddick is willing to accept. If he wants 3 or 4 years at 18 mil per...plus the Eagles want a 3rd round pick, it is natural to wait the situation out. That is a lot to invest in a older, smaller player. I feel if the Cardinals could give a 5th rounder and then 2yrs, 20 mil per, the deal likely gets done. Unlike a lot of situations, this trade hinges on the fact the Reddick will not play without a new deal. It's not a change of scenery issue.

Stout

Reaction score

Who cares? We need an edge that is a solid pass rushers, and he is that. He could help us for a few years.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we can give up a 5th for Dobbs we can give up a 5th for Reddick lol

But yeah, even if we had to wait til the trade deadline I still want to see this happen.
Jets gave up a 3rd round pick. They will want that back. He's worth it for me, but a 3rd plus $25 million a year could be too rich for Monti for a 30 year old.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm also concerned at this point about an in season acquisition...the odds of him being as sharp as we'd hope for are probably not that great at this point. The price will continue to go down each week.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I don't see this happening. Monti is not going to overpay versus the Jets and other teams.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That would be a terrible strategy, considering he could help us be better and make the playoffs more of a possibility. But, yes, this feels like a passive Monti strategy.
see I dont think its bad. If we get through 6 games at 4-2..its safe to say we are ahead of schedule on building the team...as we all know our defense is light on talent even before the injuries.
if we got reddick and his contribution helped us get to the playoffs we are more than likely one and done...boo
however if we are headed to the playoffs already and we add him in...that improves our chances of winning a couple playoff games. which is what you want if you are giving draft capital in a draft that is rumored to be pretty strong in the positions we need.
Reddick aint got but maybe three years left. You cant surrender the rights to a young guy who could play for us for years just to get a WC game out of it. It needs to be more to balance what you are giving up.

as a fan? sure...even one extra game has value. But as a GM that one extra game does not outweigh the potential of a third round pick....

then you look at it from a business perspective.. Mike will have to write a check for about 30m to sign Reddick for 3 years... will he make back that 30m off a WC game?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is an interesting question. The Jets traded a conditional pick to the Eagles for Reddick. Right now it is a conditional 2026 3rd round pick. However, if Reddick gets 10 or more sacks and plays in more than 67.5% of the defensive snaps that compensation becomes the Jets 2026 2nd round pick.

Does this condition only apply to the Jets? If the Jets trade Reddick and he hits those numbers with another team do the Jets still have to give up a 2nd? Curious what the terms of the trade say about the possibility of another trade.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point it might be smartest for the Jets to just hold their ground and let Reddick become a FA in the offseason. Then they might have a shot at a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick next year depending on what happens in FA. Which would probably be higher than the picks teams would be willing to trade for him at this point in the season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser