hdmi cables?

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I finally got around to getting a new hdtv (Samsung LN46C630) but also had to get a new receiver (Yamaha RV-465) and a Blue Ray player (Samsung with wi-fi).

So the guy at Ultimate Electronics get trying to push more expensive stuff on me, like the hdmi cables at $99 each.

Told him, no thanks, just give me the generic ones at $25 (and even those are overpriced!).

Does the Monster MC1000-HD ultra hi-speed cable really make much of a difference? What's a reasonable price to pay for them? These on ebay seemed awfully cheap but don't know if they're any good
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380213554533&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm38%26_nkw%3D380213554533%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I'm still using the stand. def. box from DirectTV until I can get a new one but at least all the pieces will be in place.

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to send a PM to dreamcastrocks. He is the resident home entertainment expert. He'll have an answer for you.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just buy them on Ebay. I get them shipped for around 6 bucks and they work BEAUTIFULLY! No different than any HDMI cord you are going to get anywhere else. That is the BIGGEST scam going.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Digital cables like HDMI generally work or they don't.

The quality consideration is the ends. If they have good connectors they will work fine.

Don't bother with the monster cables. They break as often as any and they don't make a significant difference in picture quality.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Got mine for like $2 from Amazon works great!

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
One of the biggest ripoffs in the store is the price of HDMI cables.

Amazon... Buck a piece.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
eBay or Amazon for $5 or less cables. Or if you need one right away, Fry's Electronics has them for $20 in store

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Digital cables either function, or they don't. There is no difference in signal quality. Go for the cheapest hdmi cables you can get. Go go for the gold plated, super duper whatever cables, it's still just 1s and 0s being transmitted.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
So, there's no difference in bandwith? According to the installer, he said they do have more bandwith so they transmit the info faster :shrug:

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
So, there's no difference in bandwith? According to the installer, he said they do have more bandwith so they transmit the info faster :shrug:

The ability to handle higher bandwidth and better insulation can help for longer runs and future proofing against higher bandwidth TVs that are coming later.

If the cable is a standard 6ft cable it should handle 1080p no problem.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/field-notes/the-truth-about-monster-cable-266616.php

http://gizmodo.com/268788/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-verdict-cheap-cables-keep-upusually

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Trust me just get the ones I linked you. You will be happy.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will echo what others have said. Either your HDMI cable works or it doesn't. Don't buy into the higher bandwidth of some cables. Just because you have higher bandwidth doesn't mean the information/data being passed will do so quicker. The reason being is that none of the current consumer electronics devices transmit data faster then the standard bandwidth established for HDMI. Your cable won't be a bottle neck.

I think someone mentioned it above, the only reason to pony up the higher amount of cash is to help future proof your cables in the event that consumer electronics exceed today's HDMI standards. The only other reason is if top notch build quality is a "must" for you.

If your looking to save money, I will also recommend Monoprice.com. I will play devils advocate though and tell you that the build quality of their cables is OK. IMO some of the higher priced cables have much better build quality IMO. For instance, I can get Monster products at cost. I will tell you that I have a good mix of speaker cable, HDMI connections etc..... from all over the price spectrum (including Monoprices stuff).

IMO, monoprices build quality doesn't stack up to the higher end cables. Having said that, I don't think you really need a cable that will last you 30 years either when the next big thing will be out in probably less then 10 years. Go with the cheaper HDMI cables....they are good enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I posted this on the other thread. Maybe it has something to do with the cables?

What I'm not liking on my new HDTV set up is that audio/video are sometimes not in sync. Feels like a bad kung fu movie where the lips are moving out of sync with the audio.

Why does that happen?

ozzfloyd

The Carp
Reaction score
Happens a lot. You should have a 'sync' setting on your tv to manually adjust and sync up sound with the video (at least I can on my Sony and Vizio sets). For me, I notice it when I'm running the sound from the the player (or cable) to the tv, if I use the seperate digital out and go to my home theater there is never a sync issue.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happens a lot. You should have a 'sync' setting on your tv to manually adjust and sync up sound with the video (at least I can on my Sony and Vizio sets). For me, I notice it when I'm running the sound from the the player (or cable) to the tv, if I use the seperate digital out and go to my home theater there is never a sync issue.

Yep, or if you are running through your receiver, you may need to setup an audio delay to sync up the audio to the video.

OP
OP
DeAnna

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Everything is run thru my receiver.

Is there something in the manual that would tell me how to do the audio delay or is it just some trick of the trade?

It only happens sometimes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything is run thru my receiver.

Is there something in the manual that would tell me how to do the audio delay or is it just some trick of the trade?

It only happens sometimes.

Does your TV have a Sync setting? Also, your running both your audio and video through HDMI? You don't have for instance the sound coming through TOSLINK (optical) or anything?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05