Hedo needs to be moved back to SF

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Hedo needs to be moved back to SF he can't defend the PF and is getting in foul trouble playing that spot. Warrick needs to be starting either move Hill or Hedo to the bench. Hill is playing well but I would think that he will start to tail off as the season goes on. Warrick so far is the best pick & roll player on the team as of right now. Lopez is just not able to move well enough or get to the rim quick enough. I still think Hedo will do well on this team but not playing PF.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hedo needs to be moved back to SF he can't defend the PF and is getting in foul trouble playing that spot. Warrick needs to be starting either move Hill or Hedo to the bench. Hill is playing well but I would think that he will start to tail off as the season goes on. Warrick so far is the best pick & roll player on the team as of right now. Lopez is just not able to move well enough or get to the rim quick enough. I still think Hedo will do well on this team but not playing PF.

Flip flopping Hedo & Warrick would be an improvement as Warrick is more active and could probably do a lot of damage around the basket with his quickness and jumping ability. Hedo is a spot shooter let him roam on the perimeter where he belongs, you just have to deal with his man getting past him but he can't be any worse than Nash.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If SF is the Turkish abbreviation for Toronto then I agree.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Hedo would make a good "point forward" for the second team.

Hopefully it would help him find his game. The role and lineup he is playing with now is not working.

I said it in preseason. Start Warrick and make Hedo the 6th man.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If SF is the Turkish abbreviation for Toronto then I agree.

Lol. He can't guard either position, and seems content lingering around the 3 point line. What a disaster...and we're only in year 1 of the contract. BC must have been laughing his ass off at GM Sarver when that offer was made.

Classic Simmons BC line, probably how the Turk deal went down:

"–GM Bryan Colangelo: "God, Q sucked in that Spurs series, we gotta get rid of him."

–Coach Mike D'Antoni: "Come on, nobody wants a guy with a bad back who chokes in big spots?"

–Colangelo: "Just for the hell of it, should I call Isiah and see if we get Kurt Thomas for Q and a No. 1?"

(Colangelo and D'Antoni laugh hysterically for five seconds. Then they stop laughing.)

–Colangelo (grabbing phone): "You call his office, I'll call his cell!""

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turkoglu is probably the slowest man down the court for either the first or second unit which makes him a liability at least during the regular season. This is why I have suggested he play backup center, shooting the ball from the top of the arc and help distribute the ball at the high post when the break is not there. Turkoglu will normally be the trailer on the fast break and needs to make this shot. I don't see Turkoglu being able to guard anyone (least of all a SF) so he might as well try to guard a backup center and make him pay on the offensive end.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol. He can't guard either position, and seems content lingering around the 3 point line. What a disaster...and we're only in year 1 of the contract. BC must have been laughing his ass off at GM Sarver when that offer was made.

As bad as this deal looks (and right now it looks pretty bad), I wouldn't have minded it if they'd picked up some compensation to go along with Hedo. He was such a horrible fit and it is such a horrible contract I just can't believe that we couldn't have demanded an unprotected pick also. They were highly motivated sellers and Brian has always liked Leandro.

As an optimist though , I feel obliged to point out that there's really nothing to worry about with Hedo's contract. There's a .00002% chance the world will end before his contract is up and even if we don't get that lucky, there's also a pretty fair chance the upcoming lockout will last for 3 or 4 years.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Turkoglu is probably the slowest man down the court for either the first or second unit which makes him a liability at least during the regular season. This is why I have suggested he play backup center, shooting the ball from the top of the arc and help distribute the ball at the high post when the break is not there. Turkoglu will normally be the trailer on the fast break and needs to make this shot. I don't see Turkoglu being able to guard anyone (least of all a SF) so he might as well try to guard a backup center and make him pay on the offensive end.

He's the slowest man down the court because he's the one designated to inbound the ball to Steve Nash after an opponent's made basket.

He needs to play better, but he's gotta be pretty tired. He's played basketball non-stop for over a year now with no breaks. We went through this down period with another player we used to have, remember Amare Stoudemire? He went through this same sort of thing a couple years ago.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an optimist though , I feel obliged to point out that there's really nothing to worry about with Hedo's contract. There's a .00002% chance the world will end before his contract is up and even if we don't get that lucky, there's also a pretty fair chance the upcoming lockout will last for 3 or 4 years.

Steve

The optimist hit a patch of ice. :p

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
He's the slowest man down the court because he's the one designated to inbound the ball to Steve Nash after an opponent's made basket.

He needs to play better, but he's gotta be pretty tired. He's played basketball non-stop for over a year now with no breaks. We went through this down period with another player we used to have, remember Amare Stoudemire? He went through this same sort of thing a couple years ago.

His responsibility should be to the team that is paying him 9 million a year. If he's tired because he ran himself ragged over the offseason then I hold that against him.

He stinks.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I agree simply because it's painfully obvious that Hedo cant play PF. He's been in foul trouble in almost every game, he's always gassed from running down the court and then banging down low with the guys who actually know how to play in the post.

I admit I dont know much about what Hedo did before he came here. Wasn't he more of a jump shooter in Orlando? Regardless it's just one of those things where you can see clearly that he's playing the wrong spot and so at somepoint Gentry will have to decide what has more worth; Hedo at SF or PF?

HooverDam

Reaction score
I agree with moving Hedo to the 2nd unit. Since Warrick is basically an impoverished mans Amare, I think he's a better fit with Nash & Co. Hedo on the 2nd unit would likely mean he could handle the ball a bit more since Goran isn't as much of a ball dominator as Nash (no one is). Additionally it would likely let him be the primary scorer for that unit and perhaps keep him more interested, also he'd likely get to play more how he's accustomed to and not hang out on the perimeter all day.

In reality though, I hate the trade, LBs contract was good for what he did and it shouldn't have been moved, especially not for Hedo. I hope the Suns can trick someone into taking Hedo in December.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Hedo on the 2nd unit would likely mean he could handle the ball a bit more since Goran isn't as much of a ball dominator as Nash (no one is).

Yeah, probably the best course of action at this point, but I'd hate to take the ball out of Goran's hands.

I hope the Suns can trick someone into taking Hedo in December.

Would love it, but I have no idea how in the hell this could be accomplished. He had one of the worst contracts when we signed him, and it looks even worse at this point.

HooverDam

Reaction score
Would love it, but I have no idea how in the hell this could be accomplished. He had one of the worst contracts when we signed him, and it looks even worse at this point.

Hedo, Warrick, Earl Clark, Dragic and an unprotected 2012 first round pick for...

Melo and Anthony Carter.

Not going to happen but dreaming is free! :p

Im sure Denver would like Goran and the pick, but Hedo's contract is such an albatross is really going to be tough to ever move.

E: I wonder if the Knicks would do Hedo for Eddy Curry. It gives the Knicks another scorer and distributor I guess...the Suns would likely have to throw in their 2012 1st rounder and even then its unappealing to the Knicks b/c it knocks them out of the Melo sweepstakes after this year.

Blarg, what an awful trade.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
His responsibility should be to the team that is paying him 9 million a year. If he's tired because he ran himself ragged over the offseason then I hold that against him.

He stinks.

It's not his fault Gentry has decided to put him at PF. I know you think he's going to end the world or something disastrous, but come on now.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
It's not his fault Gentry has decided to put him at PF. I know you think he's going to end the world or something disastrous, but come on now.

No. It's not unfair or unreasonable to say a player who stinks does, in fact, stink.

I agree, it's not all his fault. He should have never been traded for in the first place, especially with the idea of him playing PF. But Hedo was terrible last season too, and I don't think Toronto had him taking PF minutes away from Bosh.

The guy is lazy and just plain done. He's not into it anymore and doesn't seem to care.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
E: I wonder if the Knicks would do Hedo for Eddy Curry. It gives the Knicks another scorer and distributor I guess..

Actually, if Anthony goes to the Nets and signs an extension, the above isn't a bad idea at all.

I'm also wondering whether the Cavaliers might have any interest in Turkoglu, for a package involving Jamison, who is currently languishing on the bench. After all, the Cavaliers did lose their starting SF in the off-season. They probably would hesitate to mess up their cap space, but let's face it, what free agent is going to want to go to Cleveland?

Turkoglu and Richardson for Jamison and Anthony Parker could make sense. The Suns have to include Richardson to make room for Jamison's contract, and the numbers work on Cleveland's side because Richardson can fit into the James TE.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
No. It's not unfair or unreasonable to say a player who stinks does, in fact, stink.

That might be overstating it, but I agree that the main problem with Turkoglu goes far beyond what position he lines up at. It's not as though his shots will magically start dropping once he calls himself a SF instead of a PF. He hasn't shot well since leaving the Magic -- why will that change?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Does anyone else hate the term/thought of a "point-foward"? First it was Boris, now it's Hedo. Personally I think is a nice way of saying "lazy, skilled forward without a pulse and significantly overpaid".

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Does anyone else hate the term/thought of a "point-foward"? First it was Boris, now it's Hedo. Personally I think is a nice way of saying "lazy, skilled forward without a pulse and significantly overpaid".

The term is okay in principle, but it isn't an answer for Turkoglu. He can't take anyone off the dribble, so he's not a threat to penetrate; and he can't shoot, so defenders can play off of him. There's no way you can initiate an offense unless defenders have to respect what you might do yourself.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hedo would make a good "point forward" for the second team.

Hopefully it would help him find his game. The role and lineup he is playing with now is not working.

I said it in preseason. Start Warrick and make Hedo the 6th man.

So you want to take the ball out of Dragic's hands? Bad idea.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Scottie Pippen was a heck of a 'point forward' but I can see what you mean though. Odom is good at it too when he's not lazy or high on Heath bars.

Vellasco

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that even old time Scottie Pippen would have serious issues with Suns current offensive scheme and Gentry would be eating his brain to solve this differential equation. How to take ball from Gorans and Nashs hands and let Scottie facilitate. Its written all over the media your coaching staffs are trying to increase Gorans minute in order to utilize his talents more.

I know its going to be bad analogy but its seems like your wife sends you to take a bread but at the end of the day you come up with a milk on your hand, now your wife is trying to discover how to make bread from your expensive diet milk. Even more pathetic part of this story: you have already plenty of milk bottles in your refrigerator.

Now your wife is mad and telling you milk stinks. She hates milks from now on.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that even old time Scottie Pippen would have serious issues with Suns current offensive scheme and Gentry would be eating his brain to solve this differential equation. How to take ball from Gorans and Nashs hands and let Scottie facilitate. Its written all over the media your coaching staffs are trying to increase Gorans minute in order to utilize his talents more.

I know its going to be bad analogy but its seems like your wife sends you to take a bread but at the end of the day you come up with a milk on your hand, now your wife is trying to discover how to make bread from your expensive diet milk. Even more pathetic part of this story: you have already plenty of milk bottles in your refrigerator.

Now your wife is mad and telling you milk stinks. She hates milks from now on.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05