Reaction score
http://arizonasportsfans.com/storypage.php?Story_ID=666&Category=cardinals

:stick:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even with all of the quarterback screwups, we'd have had a better chance in each of the losses if the staff had a clue about clock management.

Denny's teams struggled with that in Minnesota too, so I think that CAN be attributed to poor coaching.

The reason our returner caught the ball with 0:00 on the clock in the last game is because we ran the clock down so much, not when we recovered the fumble and had a shot at a field goal, but rather when we were still trailing by two scores.

That's a major issue with this team. Two weeks in a row.

How about running a 2-minute-drill in practice? No-huddle offense anyone? :shrug:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorry Skkorp - the idea that with a little luck we'd be 3-0 is pretty off-base in my opinion. We got our asses handed to us 21-3 through three quarters against Seattle before they gave up a cheese TD... the Rams outgained us and outscored us because their QB didn't turn the ball over when ours did and thus they got field goals instead of nothing. Don't forget that the Rams had the game 16-7 with 5 minutes left and was within a fourth down play of the game being over and then had the ball AGAIN with less than 2 minutes to play with the ball again and fumbled away the ball - I'd say considering that we've already had more than A LITTLE LUCK - the game was handed to us on a silver platter after being tied or down most of the game and in the Niners game we were one play away from OT.

How all that somehow says we're a little luck from being 3-0 is beyond me - as is the assertion that the NFC West is somehow tougher than we gave it credit for - the only game the Niners have had outside the West they got BRUTALIZED in at home - they have proven nothing - the Ram actually LOST to the Niners (although had a somewhat impressive win over the Broncos who can't score against anyone it seems) and then you the Hawks, who are still MILES ahead of anyone - oh and us - a team that barely beat a poor Niner team, got smacked around and dominated by the Seahawks and then lost to a mediocre at best Rams team at home, even the game was handed to us on a silver platter.

but, yeah, we're this close to being 3-0. I'm just gonna dub you Roy Williams from now Skkorp because the 3-0 call is just as ridiculous as Williams saying the Lions were "this close" to hanging 40 on the baord.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Thank God for this article. I've about had it with the "this team sucks" threads. We've got our problems but I don't remember so much gloom and doom and total hopelessness even in the darkest days of the Mac regime.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
We got our asses handed to us 21-3 through three quarters against Seattle before they gave up a cheese TD...
This is so off base that it is beyond ridiculous and I didn't even bother to read rest of the post...

We were so competitive thru out and had a shot until Bergen fumble in the 4th quarter in Hawks teritory. It were our penalties and turnovers (fumbles) that killed us. We contained Alexander and Hasselbeck did not have a good game. That is why Seattle loss also hurts even though most believed it will be a loss.

sphynx99

Reaction score
Hee Haw (or "scarred for life")

Like the article author, I was overexposed to Hee Haw as a child. Unfortunately, the words stuck with me, and they certainly apply lately:

Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all

:band:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but close again just isn't getting it done. It is very hard to continue sticking up for this team when they find a new and painful way to lose every week. Being at the game, you could feel the collective sigh of the entire crowd as soon as Warner lost the fumble. People want very badly to support this team, but most of the crowd is not sold on the team. Last week's performance will certainly not help. This game had must win all over it, inter-division game, at .500, going on the road for a tough game, and we blow a golden opportunity. Sometimes I wonder if we are all nuts to invest so much in this team. Of course, I will always be a fan, but these are trying times.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank God for this article. I've about had it with the "this team sucks" threads. We've got our problems but I don't remember so much gloom and doom and total hopelessness even in the darkest days of the Mac regime.

I think it has to do with the much higher expectations. Even though everyone tried to downplay their hopes for this season, it just wasn't possible to not be more optimistic than going into seasons during the McGinnis years.

This game on Sunday will tell us a lot. I expect the team to come out fighting and put on a decent show. If they roll over, that will be a very bad sign.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You can't say positive things around Cheese, you just can't.

We are 1-2, with two losses in our division. We are going on the road, with another opponent that will likely be favored. St. Louis at home would certainly qualify as a "should win" and we pissed it away. Projections that were hovering around 9-7 and 10-6 are quickly turning to 7-9 and 6-10. If we were 3-0 or 2-1 I can understand this comment, but the calling out of others for being negative with two gut punch losses seems a little much.

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We are 1-2, with two losses in our division. We are going on the road, with another opponent that will likely be favored. St. Louis at home would certainly qualify as a "should win" and we pissed it away. Projections that were hovering around 9-7 and 10-6 are quickly turning to 7-9 and 6-10. If we were 3-0 or 2-1 I can understand this comment, but the calling out of others for being negative with two gut punch losses seems a little much.

You're right, at every other time he is Mr. Positive. I'm out of line for saying this as it's obviously a unique incident.

:rolleyes:

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I think the OL is more to blame than Warner. He was harassed all day. Edge is having a tough time too. He is fighting for every yard. Steps play at center is getting worse. He needs to be replaced. I would like to Wells at center but I would be pleased to see anybody.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I think the OL is more to blame than Warner. He was harassed all day. Edge is having a tough time too. He is fighting for every yard. Steps play at center is getting worse. He needs to be replaced. I would like to Wells at center but I would be pleased to see anybody.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When HArry breaks down the schedule he always says," You win 1 or 2 that you expected to lose and you lose 1 or 2 that you expected to win".

Last week is one of the games we expected to win. Lets hope that this week is a game we win that we expected to lose.

I still feel a little sick...........

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score

Not true in every instance. Warner was getting plenty of protection in the Saint Louis game, and often created his own problems. Warner often holds the ball for far too long, and refuses to give up on plays. Also, there were plenty of holes for Edge in the Rams game as well. I would hope that the line would improve as the year goes on, but we need to start winning some games. Listen to the players, losing games like this is a joke.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the article author, I was overexposed to Hee Haw as a child. Unfortunately, the words stuck with me, and they certainly apply lately:

Deep dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all

:band:

Hey, hey sphynx. I knew somebody would remember the words. Thanks.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is so off base that it is beyond ridiculous and I didn't even bother to read rest of the post...

We were so competitive thru out and had a shot until Bergen fumble in the 4th quarter in Hawks teritory. It were our penalties and turnovers (fumbles) that killed us. We contained Alexander and Hasselbeck did not have a good game. That is why Seattle loss also hurts even though most believed it will be a loss.

so off base? We got out gained by 100 yards and while we "contained" Alexander, they still ran 150 YARDS ON US and we were down by THREE SCORES in the fourth quarter - and thus from a team that has been shown to be turnover prone and an in ability to score TDs since the 1st quarter against a woefully defensive Niners unit.

When you're donw 14-0 in the first quarter, you're not competitive - when you're donw 14-0 at halftime, you're not competitive - when you're down 14-3 with Seattle on the one yard line at the end of 3rd quarter, you're not competitive - then when you're down 21-3, you're not competitive.

Competitive IMO means there's at least ONE point in the game where you actually have the ability to either tie the game or take the lead - we never came within that number or even close. Hell, we weren't even in the red zone when Bergen fumbled - what makes you thinbk without it, it was a sure thing we would have scored? All evidence of the season so far shows the opposite of that result.

But yeah - that game was really close.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right, at every other time he is Mr. Positive. I'm out of line for saying this as it's obviously a unique incident.

:rolleyes:

any reason to get personal here? AS USUAL?

My entire take was about football - it's too bad you can almost never do the same.

Also - it's not that you can't say anything positive - I've got no qualms with people praising Q, Edge, Fitz or the way the O-line played last week. Say something that I think is incredibly off-base and could only be said by someone wearing Rose-colored glasses, and yeah, I'm going to say something.

again, is it just IMPOSSIBLE for you not to get personal and stick with football?

The truth hurts sometimes - sadly, more often than not with this club.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

would you like to show me the NUMEROUS TIMES over the last four seasons of 5-11, 4-12, 6-10, and 5-11 that there was even an opportunity to be positive?

Sheesh, you make it sound like I'm banging on the 3 Peat Yankee teams of the late 90's, not the most woeful franchise in all of sports at this particular time.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
so off base? We got out gained by 100 yards and while we "contained" Alexander, they still ran 150 YARDS ON US and we were down by THREE SCORES in the fourth quarter - and thus from a team that has been shown to be turnover prone and an in ability to score TDs since the 1st quarter against a woefully defensive Niners unit.

When you're donw 14-0 in the first quarter, you're not competitive - when you're donw 14-0 at halftime, you're not competitive - when you're down 14-3 with Seattle on the one yard line at the end of 3rd quarter, you're not competitive - then when you're down 21-3, you're not competitive.

Competitive IMO means there's at least ONE point in the game where you actually have the ability to either tie the game or take the lead - we never came within that number or even close. Hell, we weren't even in the red zone when Bergen fumbled - what makes you thinbk without it, it was a sure thing we would have scored? All evidence of the season so far shows the opposite of that result.

But yeah - that game was really close.
Yeah, they got two quick scores in the first quarter. But defense settled down and gave up only one TD rest of the game... final score 21-10... could have been a different story if not for 11 lousy drive killing penalties and turnovers. Nothing to credit Seattle for, we shot ourselves in the foot. Look what Seattle did to Giants the following week. So, yeah, I believe we were competitive. We got very close to winning that game if not for our mistakes. Definitely nothing like "our ass handed to us"...

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score

Actually they ran for around 130 yards on us as a team. 130 yards rushing for a team isn't all that great in fact its downright average. I think you've gotten too used to the Cardinals and their ability to get 100 yards as a team once or twice a season as a measuring stick for containment.

I do agree with the rest of your assessment though

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This game on Sunday will tell us a lot.

Why is it every week, someone says this? I mean, we are three games into this thing right now and I think this team has told us almost all they are going to at this point. I guess the part I removed from your quote was important but even if they don't "roll over", what happens if they look bad (again...just like the first thre games) in another loss?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it every week, someone says this? I mean, we are three games into this thing right now and I think this team has told us almost all they are going to at this point. I guess the part I removed from your quote was important but even if they don't "roll over", what happens if they look bad (again...just like the first thre games) in another loss?

It would mean we're a bad football team. That seems pretty straightforward, doesn't it?

I was thinking more of the mindset of the team. Will they quit on Green, or not?