Help us Harry!!!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First of all, I want to apologize for a post I made back in August. You predicted we would win 3, maybe 4 games. I thought you were off your rocker. I will never doubt you again!

I do think that we are not light years away from being a decent team. It will all start to come together with a new and competent head coach and coaching staff. What would you think of the Cards going after a couple of free agents like Jevon Kearse and Ahmed Plummer. I think that would free us up to take the best player available in the draft.

My question(s) to you is what SHOULD we do? I'd like your opinion on who you would like to see as our new head coach, free agents that would have an immediate impact, and assuming we could accomplish your suggestions, what would you do with the 3rd pick in the draft.

Thanks in advance and I'll be looking forward to your response.

P.S. I would very much like to see everybody's blueprint to those 3 things. Coach, 1 or 2 free agents, and the # 3 pick.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Dennis Green....Bailey/Kearse.....Roy Williams if Eli is not available or trade down and take Wilfork and get a 2nd or third out of it from Wash or Detroit...who might like a top wr,:thumbup: b

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Originally posted by Bellingham Mike
Reggie Williams of Washington makes
Roy Williams look like Bryan Gilmore.

:stupid:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Reggie Williams of Washington makes
Roy Williams look like Bryan Gilmore.

That is ridiculous. Roy Williams, barring injury, will be one of the best receivers to ever play in the NFL. He has all the tools and has had a tremendous career especially when you consider the ridiculous offensive playcalling he had to endure at Texas with their horizontal passing attack. Half the passes they threw to him were one yard outs.

He has great hands, has good speed, is tall, and makes clutch catches but the thing I like best about Williams is his downfield blocking. He knocks the snot out of people.

People who knock Williams are likely the same ones who suddenly decided that Ryan Leaf was better than Peyton Manning.

artp

Registered
Reaction score
We do not need a WR with our #3 overall pick. We do not need a WR with any first day pick. Lets concentrate on DL and CB if we trade down.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by artp
We do not need a WR with our #3 overall pick. We do not need a WR with any first day pick. Lets concentrate on DL and CB if we trade down.

Good call my Cardinal bretheran

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by slanidrac16

P.S. I would very much like to see everybody's blueprint to those 3 things. Coach, 1 or 2 free agents, and the # 3 pick.

You forgot to include QB as well. I think the Cards bring in a vet QB to compete with McCown, They won't break the bank on the guy either, I see maybe a Brunell, Gannon, Couch, Warner, etc. Coming here to compete for a starting position with McCown.

For coach I would pick Green, he would make he would create some excitement on the offense and change the attitude that losing is acceptable, that Coach Mac allowed.

With the #3 if Green was Coach would not pass on R Williams, giving Boldin a great WR compliment

For Free Agents, I don't think the Cardinals could pull off landing Sapp or Kearse on defense, but I certainly could see them adding Grant Winstrom at DE, and C Mcallister at CB.

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Originally posted by artp

i agree, but what/who shall we concentrate on if we don't trade down

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Originally posted by offset
i agree, but what/who shall we concentrate on if we don't trade down

The best player available and from what I saw, it's not Tommie Harris.

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
head coach- charlie weis

draft- trade for more draft choices, vince wilfork, and phillip rivers.

free agents- julian peterson(49ers), ammad plummer(49ers), grant wistrom(rams), kurt warner(rams), and eric hicks(cheifs). these fa would probally put us over the salary cap. cards need to go after julian peterson and grant wistrom for sure.

jrjbritt

Registered
Reaction score
HC: GREEN. HE WOULD BRING A FAST, EXCITING OFFENSE HERE. THE THING THAT WORRIES ME IF WHO THE DC WILL BE.. NEED SOMEONE WITH EXCITEMENT AND A TOTALLY NEW TYPE OF DEFENSE.

FA: I REALLY LOVE TO SEE STARKS/MCALISTER BACK FIELD AGAIN.. VERY POSSIBLE.. THEN GO AFTER PETERSON AND WINSTROM ALONG WITH A VERTEAN QB FOR COMPTETION.

DRAFT: I AM A TOSS UP OVER ELI OR BEN.. I BELEIVE THAT BOTH OF THEM WILL BE PRO-BOWLERS SOON. IF BOTH ARE GONE THEN TRADE DOWN A FEW SPOTS, GET A FEW EXTRA PICKS AND STILL TRY TO GET A IMPACT PLAYER...

GO CARDS

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm actually good with any of the top 4 candidates at this point as our new HC. I like the rumor of Fassel and Bugel as OC/OL coach.

One of the following CB's:

Winfield
McAllister
Bailey

Then Kearse or Winstrom

Then one of these CB's

Taylor
Vincent
Plummer
F. Bryant

As for the draft I say take the top rated player on your board or trade down remaining in the top 10. If we trade down then take the BPA. Regardless of position or need.

No more reach picks for need.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by earthsci
The best player available and from what I saw, it's not Tommie Harris.

Must've seen that Sugar performance last night. All Overrated Team and Players.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Coach - Fassel (Green #2 choice)

3 Free Agents - Bailey (CB), McAllister (CB), An impact WR

Draft Pick - Keep the pick and draft Roethlisberger, Taylor or Wilfork.

Or trade down (no lower than #11 - 13 and maybe a couple of notches at a time) to still get at least one impact player plus extra picks.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Coach-1st choice is Coughlin but that's not going to happen.So, Green would be my next choice.

free agents-Winfield and Plummer

draft-trade down and take Will Smith and Chris Gamble

that's 4 OSU players.Hey,look how good they play out in Arizona.Two Fiesta Bowls and they are undefeated.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
Coach-1st choice is Coughlin but that's not going to happen.So, Green would be my next choice.

free agents-Winfield and Plummer

draft-trade down and take Will Smith and Chris Gamble

that's 4 OSU players.Hey,look how good they play out in Arizona.Two Fiesta Bowls and they are undefeated.

Yup, but they have to bribe an official for one and then pay the BCS , the next year, for a mismatch they could squeek out.:D

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reggie is bigger, faster and a physical
blocker. He even made Quentin Jammer
look bad when Reggie was a 18 year
old freshman.

Roy is listed 10-15 pounds heavier than Reggie and to me Reggie has always looked a bit "slight". Both great players, but Roy played in a system that didn't take advantage of him, Reggie played in a system that featured him. I think Roy is the better player, at times in the bowl game he looked like a man amongst boys, if Vince Young hadn't been so confused by WSU's blitzing and got the ball to Roy early on, that game would have been different.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scratch McAllister. Reports out of Crab City are that he wants to stay in Balt and is working out a deal.

Winfield would be another good free agent CB. He and Bailey nailing down the two cornerback slots would be sweet.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Well, there's not much satisfaction in being right about it being a lousy year. I got the record right, but I would have preferred to have it wrong.

As to if the Cards are "light years from being a good team" I think the quick improvements by several teams over the last few years indicate the gap between the top and the bottom is narrowing. That said, the Cards are the bottom in terms of prodution and experience (I realize Oakland & SD has worse records, but much more experience). I said on another post that at least 8 significant holes exist on this team and that's being optimistic.
That's an awful lot of players. Probably 5 of them need to be filled for the Cards to contend for the playoffs.

Kearse will be tagged and though I like him, two firsts is too expensive. Plummer will be very expensive. I don't think they are in position to take the best player in the draft unless they decide he fills a major need.

I think the right coach is critical. Coaches fall into two categories: teachers or operators. They rarely can do both. A teacher builds the young players; an operator makes them win. Perhaps Parcells and Belichick fill both roles, but no other current NFL coach fits that bill. A staff blending both is a good compromise, but at this stage with all the young players, I favor a teacher for the head coach. Crennel is likely the best of the interviewed choices. Fassel is the best of the operators. Start with one of them and keep the objectives reasonable. 7-9 would be a good step forward if holes were filled along the way.

In my mind the lines must be fixed before any real improvement will be seen. Fassel's Giants' offense is the perfect example of how a weak line can sink talented skill players.

No CB or safety can easily be evaluated without a pass rush.

So, I think the Cards must take the best lineman in the draft or trade down if they don't feel anyone is worth the third pick. The safest picks are the OTs like Gallery and Smith at DE. Other top players scare me with their downside. Fitzgerald/Williams would be fun, but would mean no serious improvement would be seen until 2005. I don't really like any of those players in the 3 slot, but moving down significantly, as the Cards did last season, could be another disaster. I have an article in (if our beloved leader would get well like we pray he will) about an RFA scenario, which would involve a big drop down and could be slick if the Cards could pull it off. It could fill two or three holes immediately. Free Agency will determine which way the Cards must go in the draft. If they don't get two pass rushers in FA and stay put in the draft, I'd take Smith. He is a compromise, but also a complete player who can start immediately and impact both the run and the pass. He is, however, not an major impact as a pass rusher.

On offense, my top FA target is Woody. He would allow Kendall to go back to guard (Spikes is weak) and the Cards would have perhaps the best middle offensive line in the game. I cover the pass rush in the article. We also need a veteran wide receiver, a veteran corner and a veteran tackle in that order of importance. For a change the Cards will have to be creative with the cap.

Last edited: