henry news on espn insider

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Is the extent of Chris Brown's injury worse than I thought? Why would the Titans be drafting a rb in the first round? Brown's only in his third year and was a stud when he was healthy last year. What am I missing? Throw in Volek and Bennett, maybe McNair coming back and I don't see rb as a high priority for them.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Send LJ and our #95 to the Titans for #37 overall.

And no, they are not interested in a RB at #6. The Titans have holes at CB, WR OL and LB, so Edwards, Williams, Rolle, Pac-man and DJ are targets.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
scot182 said:
i was reading what the bills fans thought about this at thier site and they all think that they have the upper hand in the deal and are already counting on us switching 2nd rd picks with them. they are saying that there are no rbs for us.

They are high.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the life of me, I can't understand why we need to "sweeten the pot" with swaps of draft picks.
It takes two teams to complete a deal. Sometimes it comes down to "do we want to get the deal done for Henry or don't we?"

In any negotiation, you don't worry so much about "whether the other guy is getting too much." You worry about whether you're getting what you want - and if you can afford it.

If sweetening the pot gets the deal made, I don't think it's something we can't afford to do.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Heck why not offer the Titans Shelton and our second or two third round picks for their first? We would then be assured of getting a rb and cb in the first round.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
CardShark said:
Heck why not offer the Titans Shelton and our second or two third round picks for their first? We would then be assured of getting a rb and cb in the first round.

Throw in Clement!

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let's flesh that out a bit. You're saying that, if you're Houston, you'd be willing to trade your #6 for Shelton and our #44 (or Shelton and our #75 and #95).

Unless the Titans felt Shelton was the long term answer, why wouldn't they simply keep the #6 and draft Barron or another top tackle?

Sure. If I'm the Cardinals, I'd make that deal 100 times out of 100. But if I'm Charley Casserly (and I want to keep my job) I don't make that deal for the Titans.

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How can we sign 2 top 10's but not james and a number 8.

There are some serious misconceptions about what a proven player gets a an unproven player gets. They make about the same.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
For the life of me, I can't understand why we need to "sweeten the pot" with swaps of draft picks.
It takes two teams to complete a deal. Sometimes it comes down to "do we want to get the deal done for Henry or don't we?"

In any negotiation, you don't worry so much about "whether the other guy is getting too much." You worry about whether you're getting what you want - and if you can afford it.

If sweetening the pot gets the deal made, I don't think it's something we can't afford to do.

We should not worry about getting the deal done for Henry. We need to communicate to the Bills that we would love Henry but we also have other options. Henry should be made to feel that we want him but the decision is on the Bills. (Which I think has been accomplished)

The Bills are just trying to squeeze us. They are in the spot not us. A straight up deal is fair to both sides. Both players meet needs that each team has.

We need to keep a poker face and let the Bills cook. They will cave IMO. If not, then draft a RB.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
The hold up is reported to be our reluctance to swap our #44 for Buffalo's #55. (I think Shelton for Henry straight up is a fair deal and feel the swap of 2nd round picks makes the deal lopsided in their favor).

But I do think the deal would be more balanced if we either (a) swapped our 3a (#75) for Buffalo's 3 (#86) instead swapping in the 2nd round or (b) added to the second round swap a 3rd round "reverse" swap of our 3b (#95) for Buffalo's 3 (#86)

I do the deal straight up or no deal at all. Apparently we would still have no long term contract with Henry and he could walk if he had a good year so no way do we swap draft picks. Shelton is a good player with 3 yrs or more to go at a good price. This deal already favors Buffalo.

PIZ

Reaction score
RedStorm said:
We need to keep a poker face and let the Bills cook. They will cave IMO. If not, then draft a RB.

Don't count on Donahoe caving in. The man is shrewd and will not trade Henry to Arizona without the swap just to prove a point. Don't count on the Bills trading Henry without the swap because they do have options at LT besides Shelton. Teague can play LT. Mike Williams can play LT. There will be June 1st cuts. Don't get me wrong, Shelton would be the ideal situation, but he's not the Bills only option.

By the way, I am a Bills fan.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
PIZ said:
they do have options at LT besides Shelton. Teague can play LT. Mike Williams can play LT. There will be June 1st cuts. Don't get me wrong, Shelton would be the ideal situation, but he's not the Bills only option.

Teague can play LT then you have a huge hole at C.

Williams can play LT then you have a huge hole at RT.

As for June 1st cuts, yeah that works oh so well for teams looking for talent. If you are putting your eggs into june 1st cuts, you are in for a very big dissappointment.

Your LT options are far less appealing then the Cards options at RB if this deal doesnt go through.

PIZ

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Teague can play LT then you have a huge hole at C.

Williams can play LT then you have a huge hole at RT.

As for June 1st cuts, yeah that works oh so well for teams looking for talent. If you are putting your eggs into june 1st cuts, you are in for a very big dissappointment.

Your LT options are far less appealing then the Cards options at RB if this deal doesnt go through.

Ross Tucker would be our center if Teague went to LT. Tucker is a quality OL and actually played C very well in spots last year. They could also draft one of Baas, Wilkerson, or Spencer with there 2nd round pick.

They just signed Mike Gandy who can play RT if Williams goes to LT. Also, they do have some younger guys who could play RT. If Williams went to LT and Teague went to RT they would put Tucker at C.

Again, Shelton would be the best option at this point, BUT, he isn't the only option. The Bills can fill out their o-line with the guys currently on the roster.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Ross Tucker would be our center if Teague went to LT. Tucker is a quality OL and actually played C very well in spots last year. They could also draft one of Baas, Wilkerson, or Spencer with there 2nd round pick.

They just signed Mike Gandy who can play RT if Williams goes to LT. Also, they do have some younger guys who could play RT. If Williams went to LT and Teague went to RT they would put Tucker at C.

Again, Shelton would be the best option at this point, BUT, he isn't the only option. The Bills can fill out their o-line with the guys currently on the roster.

Let em - we have options too. We CAN draft a RB in the 2nd at 44. We then have Shipp, Hambrick and that player. Bennett is also an option for a 3rd!

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
scot182 said:
their is one more guy out of memphis= DeAngelo Williams

isnt he the guy that broke his leg in the bowl game?

he's the guy a ton of us loved on this board. touting him for the #8 pick. and then he decided to stay in college. dude is a total stud. bummed that i wasted an entire season getting excited about him and then he withdrew from the draft the year we're definitely gonna pick up a new rb (either trade or draft), which means we likely won't be after him next year.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

totally agree. i'd be bummed if we swapped seconds, but if that's the only way the bills do the deal, we do it. at least we don't lose a pick, we only lose 11 slots. and we get a rb that will help our offense and free up our draft to select bpa.

PIZ

Reaction score
WildBB said:
Let em - we have options too. We CAN draft a RB in the 2nd at 44. We then have Shipp, Hambrick and that player. Bennett is also an option for a 3rd!

Just keep in mind that Henry is a former Pro Bowl running back. I'd take a sure thing over a draft pick, especially with the Cardinals (except Bolden) draft history. Didn't Tice come on ESPN and squelch those Bennett trade rumors?

Last edited:

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Just keep in mind that Henry is a former Pro Bowl running back. I'd take a sure thing over a draft pick, especially with the Cardinals (except Bolden) draft history. Didn't Tice come on ESPN and squelch those Bennett trade rumors?

Draft history? Yeah, under McGinnis and Tobin we sucked at drafting, but Denny Green nabbed 4 starters with his first 4 picks last year, and his 7th round pick started a game too.

Our bad drafting history is probably behind us. No more Tito Paul. No more Wendell Bryant.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Piz, either the trade happens or it won't. Many of us would just as soon keep Shelton. He's a good LT.

Henry would help us. No question. But knowing the Cards preference to build through the draft, the Buffalo requirement of a swap of second rounders is probably a deal killer. So be it.

Good luck to you. And thanks for visiting here. You'll always be welcome.

PIZ

Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Piz, either the trade happens or it won't. Many of us would just as soon keep Shelton. He's a good LT.

Henry would help us. No question. But knowing the Cards preference to build through the draft, the Buffalo requirement of a swap of second rounders is probably a deal killer. So be it.

Good luck to you. And thanks for visiting here. You'll always be welcome.

Also, someone should tell Denny that Travis Henry is a better RB than Shelton is a LT. If you guys get Henry, you are going to be surprised at how tough a runner he is. When he is motivated (which he wasn't with McGahee on the roster---always looking over his shoulder) he IS the hardest RB to tackle in the NFL. I am not exaggerating. The guy is like a bowling ball in a china shop.

AJZ

Reaction score
Travis would without a doubt make a greater impact on your team than Shelton would make on ours. By the way, greetings from another Bills fan......you can thank PIZ :)

TD pulled the trigger on McGahee because it was a chance to get what many considered to be a special player. He's already showing signs of being just that. Even though this was an unfortunate event for Travis, it doesn't take away from the fact that he is still a very good back. On the other hand, you have LJ Shelton who was relegated to a back up role for what? Personality conflict? Lack of work ethic? You dont just get rid of one of your starting tackles for no reason.....especially when his cap number is very reasonable. Further, if you don't find a suitor for the guy, you're going to end up just cutting him most likely.

I disagree that you guys have a leg up in this trade scenario. Travis is clearly more valuable, in my opinion.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
PIZ said:
Also, someone should tell Denny that Travis Henry is a better RB than Shelton is a LT. If you guys get Henry, you are going to be surprised at how tough a runner he is. When he is motivated (which he wasn't with McGahee on the roster---always looking over his shoulder) he IS the hardest RB to tackle in the NFL. I am not exaggerating. The guy is like a bowling ball in a china shop.
That's really besides the point. The Bills have no other options for a LT like LJ, the Cards have many options at RB.
I would like Henry, but why would you swap picks for Henry, when you can get Edge for our 2nd.

PIZ

Reaction score
BACH said:
That's really besides the point. The Bills have no other options for a LT like LJ, the Cards have many options at RB.
I would like Henry, but why would you swap picks for Henry, when you can get Edge for our 2nd.

Like I said, the Bills do have other options. Secondly, has it been proven you can get Edge for a 2nd? Would he play in Arizona? Henry has stated he'd play for Arizona. Also, you're going to be putting a strain on your salary cap if you take Edge over the modestly priced Henry.

AJZ

Reaction score
BACH said:

You are forgetting to factor in how much Edge will cost you in terms of salary cap dollars. The guy is seeking a sick contract......do you really want to pay that for a RB when you can have Henry for Lamont Jordan money AFTER this year? Same goes for Alexander.....same also goes for a high draft pick, except then you're paying out the asss for an unknown. Travis is clearly your most attractive option.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan