Hill Interested in Suns

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/91346

• Free-agent-to-be Grant Hill confirms he will play at least one more season. He likes the Suns and the feeling is mutual — although if the Pistons reload for another title run, they would be his first choice.

Grant Hill
Orlando Magic
Position: G-F
Height: 6-8 Weight: 225
College : Duke
Player file | Team stats
2006-07 StatisticsPPG14.4

RPG3.6

APG2.1

SPG.94

BPG.38

FG%.518

FT%.765

3P%.167

MPG30.9

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
I know we'll get the standard he's too old, he's too injury prone line from some people on this board, but Hill can still contribute, especially given the talent level at the back end of this roster.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Grant Hill has always had the reputation of being a class person and player.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I LOVE THIS IDEA!! Chances are we could get him cheap. If Marion is dealt, we have someone who can instantly help fill the void offensively. Even if we just get him for 60 games. I love it.

I've wanted to have Grant Hill here for years, just because he is one of my favorite all-time players, and his skill-set fits the Suns system so well.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought he already signed a deal to be a TNT broadcaster???

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I used to love him but he is on his decline. I think he would be like marion, except not contribute as much and at the same time 'disappear' in games more.

Oh, and he's making 17 mill right now, whats he gonna ask for as a free agent?

We cant afford him, nor should we make room to afford him.

<insert standard too old and injury prone comment here>

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I used to love him but he is on his decline. I think he would be like marion, except not contribute as much and at the same time 'disappear' in games more.

Would the MLE not com into play here? Hill knows he won't get big money, he only wants to carry on for a title. I think if we can get him on the cheap then we should do it. The guy would be a locker room boost as well. A far better idea than adding Rasheed & Artest!

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score

I think the bigger question is, "What are teams going to OFFER him as a FA?"

Who's going to be dumb enough to offer him a lot of money? He only made 17 mill last year because he signed his deal in 2000. I'm pretty sure he knows that's he's not worth a ton in the FA market anymore.

I also think having a shot at a title would be enough for a guy like Grant Hill to play somewhere for cheap.

Grant Hill is great for the Suns at the right price.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This looks like a vet minimum situation to me.

I'm not clear on how his defensive skills have stood up. Overall they might be OK since Orlando had a very good record in holding opposents to 44.2% shooting (third best in the NBA).

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Grant Hill would be a minimum type player wanting a ring. I think what you get from Hill is a solid locker room presence and a player, if healthy, can play limited minutes. Everything about Grant Hill says winner except his health. He would be especially helpful in the playoffs.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I think defensively, he should be OK against second units (he would play on the second unit for the Suns). I like the idea of him bringing the ball up the court rather than LB.

Question is, will D'Antoni use him?

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I think defensively, he should be OK against second units (he would play on the second unit for the Suns). I like the idea of him bringing the ball up the court rather than LB.

Question is, will D'Antoni use him?
If Mike brought in Grant and didn't play him off the bench at least...I'd be first in line to say fire him. Hiil is much better than Jalen.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
This looks like a vet minimum situation to me.

I'm not clear on how his defensive skills have stood up. Overall they might be OK since Orlando had a very good record in holding opposents to 44.2% shooting (third best in the NBA).
He's still a crafty defender, but his lateral movement is not what is used to be. I think he has a hard time staying in front of quick 3's.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'M BACK!!!

he's not gonna ask for much. this is gonna be the "i'll sign for peanuts for a shot at a title" tour for hill.

he's still got game. mad game? naw. but game nonetheless. he'd def add depth and if we did trade marion he would at least give us a vet to fill a portion (mind you i said a portion, he won't completely replace marion) of marion's contributions to the team.

i watched him in the playoffs this year. he's still got some juice left in the tank to mix metaphors.

asudevil83

Reaction score

1.) Hill was on the decline 6 years ago. he's no better now than he was back in 2000, and it could be argued that he's healthy now than he was then. Hill would be a replacement for JR, and righ there, i see that as a HUGE HUGE upgrade.

2.) Hill got payed $17mil last season for what he did 6 years ago. NO championship team is going to waste anything significant in terms of FA flexability on him. his injury risk is way too high. i'm thinking the MOST any team will offer is the MLE. and with Detroit and Phoenix seeming to be his first choices, our chances are good. the MLE is pretty much a lock for Webber in Detroit.....so Hill isnt going to see much of anything from them. us and our LLE would be a fair offer for 2 years.

OP
OP
azirish

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only other team even in the mix is the Pistons (his old team).

I agree that Hill looks like a slot substitute for Jones. Jones might be a better defender and certainly a better three point shooter, but he's very passis on the boards and is not treated as enough of a threat that teams won't double off him. Hills is still an offensive threat and if he can play even OK defense (Rose's problem) it would ensure there is always five offensive theats on the floor.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Again, if D'Antoni uses his bench this year I don't mind. He better use his bench more if we're going to win... I'd like to see a Jalen Rose and in this case, Grant Hill get some playing time. They can contribute and make this team better.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
The only other team even in the mix is the Pistons (his old team).

I agree that Hill looks like a slot substitute for Jones. Jones might be a better defender and certainly a better three point shooter, but he's very passis on the boards and is not treated as enough of a threat that teams won't double off him. Hills is still an offensive threat and if he can play even OK defense (Rose's problem) it would ensure there is always five offensive theats on the floor.
Hill is also a creater. He's always been good with the ball in hands when asked to create something. JR doesn't do that. He would give us a 3rd playmaker with Diaw and Nash. Those 3 on the floor at the same time would be fun to watch IMO. I think Boris will have a bounce back year if he stays in PHX.

It would be nice to have someone on the perimeter besides Nash who can create in a pinch. JJ took that away when he asked to be dealt. Bell and Marion can't create in a bind. I see nothing but positives here.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, if D'Antoni uses his bench this year I don't mind. He better use his bench more if we're going to win... I'd like to see a Jalen Rose and in this case, Grant Hill get some playing time. They can contribute and make this team better.

That is the entire thing. We can go out and sign the perfect role players for this team and none of that will matter unless D'Antoni uses the bench. To date D'Antoni has showed zero patience with his bench players. He didn't use them enough to find out what he had in some players.

Let's hope his philosophy of using the bench changes along with any roster moves we make this off-season.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
That is the entire thing. We can go out and sign the perfect role players for this team and none of that will matter unless D'Antoni uses the bench. To date D'Antoni has showed zero patience with his bench players. He didn't use them enough to find out what he had in some players.

Let's hope his philosophy of using the bench changes along with any roster moves we make this off-season.
If he doesn't play a player like Grant Hill, he should be fired.

He was on KTAR a week or so after the Spurs series, and he said he thinks he needs to be able to go 9-10 deep next season. It makes me wonder why it took him this long to realize that.

His problem is that he doesn't give his bench a fair chance. He loses trust in them because he only puts them in during garbage time, and they would give up a good part of their lead. Very rarely did he give anyone a shot while playing with some starters. He gave Pike 4 games or so, and Jumaine 4 games or so, but that was really to audition them for the 8th man in the rotation. I don't see how Jalen could've hurt them on the floor. It's not like he played bad when he was given good time. When Banks played with Nash on the floor, he wasn't awful.

I love Mike, I love his style of play, but there are a few things he could stand to do better, and playing the bench should be one of them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he doesn't play a player like Grant Hill, he should be fired.

He was on KTAR a week or so after the Spurs series, and he said he thinks he needs to be able to go 9-10 deep next season. It makes me wonder why it took him this long to realize that.

His problem is that he doesn't give his bench a fair chance. He loses trust in them because he only puts them in during garbage time, and they would give up a good part of their lead. Very rarely did he give anyone a shot while playing with some starters. He gave Pike 4 games or so, and Jumaine 4 games or so, but that was really to audition them for the 8th man in the rotation. I don't see how Jalen could've hurt them on the floor. It's not like he played bad when he was given good time. When Banks played with Nash on the floor, he wasn't awful.

I love Mike, I love his style of play, but there are a few things he could stand to do better, and playing the bench should be one of them.

I have been beating that drum for the past 2 seasons. This is the last chance for me. If D'Antoni can't get his bench strategy or management pulled together this season then I will be joining the fire D'Antoni bandwagon.

Hill is miles, miles better than Jalen Rose, it's not even close.

I don't agree with that. JR gave some productive minutes when he did play. Not to mention that I watched Hill this season and on defense his mobility is very questionable. I think they are very similar and can both contribute if given the opportunity. I am just not convinced either will be given the opportunity the way D'Antoni manages his bench.

Last edited:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I have been beating that drum for the past 2 seasons. This is the last chance for me. If D'Antoni can't get his bench strategy or management pulled together this season then I will be joining the fire D'Antoni bandwagon.

I don't agree with that. JR gave some productive minutes when he did play. Not to mention that I watched Hill this season and on defense his mobility is very questionable. I think they are very similar and can both contribute if given the opportunity. I am just not convinced either will be given the opportunity the way D'Antoni manages his bench.
I think Hill right now still has much more to offer than Jalen. Even though he has lost some of his defensive mobility, he's still a better defender than Jalen, which was a big part of Mike not playing him. I see Hill as a better fit here. Jalen was fine when he played, but I think Hill is much better right now.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Hill right now still has much more to offer than Jalen. Even though he has lost some of his defensive mobility, he's still a better defender than Jalen, which was a big part of Mike not playing him. I see Hill as a better fit here. Jalen was fine when he played, but I think Hill is much better right now.

Since when did D'Antoni take defense into consideration for his bench minutes? If that was the case you would have seen Banks all season. On one hand you hear D'Antoni make comments about offensive inconsistency when starters went to the bench. I have heard that argument before. But we always got mixed messages from D'Antoni about bench minutes.

D'Antoni couldn't make up his mind what he wanted out of his bench. He clearly struggled in managing the bench. Even if we get Hill or some other decent bench players, D'Antoni clearly needs some sort of assistance manging his bench guys or just need to change his approach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake