Hill makes up for lost time

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
When foot and ankle injuries limited Grant Hill to 47 games over four years, he told himself that he would make up the missed time on the back end of his career.

That optimism occasionally broke through the darkness of wondering if he would play again. "It was something to get you through bad times," Hill said.

You must be registered for see images

Now, as the season ends Wednesday night, his health is getting him through otherwise bad times with the Suns. He still has not won a playoff series, but he will play in all 82 games this season, a career first. It's a massive feat, considering the troubles that injuries caused from 2000 until 2006, a year before he came to Phoenix.

At 36, Hill will be the oldest NBA player not to miss a game this season, when only about 30 players overall will do it. For everything that could have gone wrong and all the charges he takes and launches to the rim, Hill was the only Suns player standing all season.

"You may not be the smartest kid but you have perfect attendance," Hill said.

He can be happy with more than his availability. Hill was the Suns' best defender. He shot 53.2 percent from the field, a career best that ranks 12th in the NBA. He averaged 11.8 points and 4.9 rebounds despite early-season struggles as a reserve.

He wants to play more years with the Suns but joked that he could play at the Central Florida YMCA. "I feel better than I felt four or five years ago," Hill said. "I still feel like I can run up and down the court with anybody. I still have a pretty good quick step, and I can get by people. For the most part, I can stay in front of guys at my position.

"Coming out here, it was like I was going to play two years and call it a day, but I still think I can play."
Congratulations Hill, I know not making the playoffs is a major disappointment for ya, but playing in all 82 games is quite remarkable, considering all the past injuries. Please Suns fans attending the game, give this guy a standing ovation, he deserves it. I know I will when I watch the game on TV.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hill has been a really bright spot in a down year for the Suns. I am happy for the guy and as much as I would love him to stay, I hope he goes and is a major contributer for a championship team. I would love for him and Nash to get a ring and am sad to say it won't happen here. That said, it is obviously much more important to me that the Suns get a ring than anyone one player.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the few brightspots this season has been Hill.

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
really nice, greatly apprechiate his effort this season.
Hope he enjoys playing here as well....

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill is a part of what is right with the Suns.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Grant by far was the most enjoyable Suns player to watch this year. He's always been one of my favorites, but he moved into that #1 spot this year because of the effort he gave this year, and the class in which he carried himself through the ups and downs of the season.

I really want Grant back here next year, but if it doesn't work out, I hope he goes somewhere where he can have some playoff success...unless it's SA...LOL.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill playing 82 games is just awesome, i hope he stays with the Suns

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened to Tom Chambers last night after the Warriors game. He said something to the effect the Suns have enjoyed the luxury of having Hill on the cheap for two seasons but now other teams will go after him. Chambers mentioned it would take like the MLE to keep him. This is not good news if accurate. This was only speculation, but I think Chambers is in position to know. He did say Hill wants to stay with the Suns.

OP
OP
H

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score
I listened to Tom Chambers last night after the Warriors game. He said something to the effect the Suns have enjoyed the luxury of having Hill on the cheap for two seasons but now other teams will go after him. Chambers mentioned it would take like the MLE to keep him. This is not good news if accurate. This was only speculation, but I think Chambers is in position to know. He did say Hill wants to stay with the Suns.

I have a feeling Hill doesn't want to move again. He seems pretty well situated here in Phoenix. I don't see him leave for more money, he has plenty of it...he just wants a ring.

In other news, Nash became the first person in NBA history to have 50% from the field, 40% behind the arc, and 90% FT.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I have a feeling Hill doesn't want to move again. He seems pretty well situated here in Phoenix. I don't see him leave for more money, he has plenty of it...he just wants a ring.

In other news, Nash became the first person in NBA history to have 50% from the field, 40% behind the arc, and 90% FT.
*For three seasons

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Hill leaves, he will most likely accept a MLE from a contender, maybe the Lakers or Spurs.

I cannot see him go back to Magic as they boo him regularly.

If he stays I'll be glad too, but if a better team offers more money and the same role... its too good to pass up.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05