home opener??

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
assuming we get a home game to start off the season - you would think so anyway!!!

now that Dallas is gone, who do you want or think we will get??

'08 Cubs

Reaction score
I was certain...

that we'd draw a Sunday nite opener, at the very least. I was thinking v. the Cowboys or even the Bears. Now, I'm guessing it may be simply a divisional contest, saving the Boys, Bears, Chiefs, etc. for a tv tilt.

Tony W

Ride it like u stole it!!!!!!!
Reaction score
just read in the paper that we open the stadium against the Steelers on Aug 12th

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Since the home opener will not be any kind of national game, I suspect the CArds will get a "homecoming" type opponent to maximize tickets sales -- 49ers or Lions

If you assume that the Bears, Broncos, Cowboys and Chiefs will all draw well regardless, you schedule a team that wont since people will go to the first regular season game for the novelty, to be there for the first game, etc, regardless of opponent.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
How does playing a crappy opponent maximize ticket sales? I want to see a decent team in here for the opener, not the Niners.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We'll start the first week on the road as usual....then probably play the Cowboys in the afternoon game to kick of our home opener. Regional coverage only.

jefftheshark

Drive By Poster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
en fuego said:
Since the home opener will not be any kind of national game, I suspect the CArds will get a "homecoming" type opponent to maximize tickets sales -- 49ers or Lions

If you assume that the Bears, Broncos, Cowboys and Chiefs will all draw well regardless, you schedule a team that wont since people will go to the first regular season game for the novelty, to be there for the first game, etc, regardless of opponent.

Didn't the 'Hawks have us as their first opponent in their new stadium? I hope that a "homecoming" type wasn't the NFL's plan, although I suspect it was.

The Shark

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
duckfallas said:
How does playing a crappy opponent maximize ticket sales? I want to see a decent team in here for the opener, not the Niners.

What I meant is ticket sales for the year

You dont need to put a good opponent on opening day to sell the place out -- those tickets will sell regardless of when its scheduled

You probably have to put the 49ers on the first day of the stadium to sell that game out -- people will go for the novelty of a new building, to be there for the first game rather than seeing the 49ers

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always thought it would be the Bears, and I still do.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I've always thought it would be the Bears, and I still do.

Any truth to the following?

Cards get MNF Game
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFL Network|Total Access Reports:

The AZ Cardinals will have their first home game at their new field on Sept 18th when they play host to the Chicago Bears on ESPN's Monday Night Football.

Last edited:

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:

Cards get MNF Game
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The AZ Cardinals will have their first home game at their new field on Sept 18th when they play host to the Chicago Bears on ESPN's Monday Night Football.

Would be wonderful if it is true...

This is serious leak if it is true tho'
The NFL Network said yesterday that they will have a "selection sunday" type broadcast in early april when the entire schedule is announced.

Last edited:

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:

The NFL Network said yesterday that they will have a "selection sunday" type broadcast in early april when the entire schedule is announced.

Yes, that is why I am wondering if it is true. I looked around for a little bit for verification but couldn't authenticate it so I didn't post it as a new thread.

If true though it means we open the season on the road again.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Billy Flynt said:

I'd have mixed feelings about it. It would mean that we are opening on the road, yet again. I think that would piss a lot of people off. But, I think that matchup, and that time, would be Bidwill's dream opener. Maybe that is the tradeoff. They wouldn't put us on nationally the first week, so we get pushed to week 2 with the game Bidwill wants.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
I'd have mixed feelings about it. It would mean that we are opening on the road, yet again. I think that would piss a lot of people off. But, I think that matchup, and that time, would be Bidwill's dream opener. Maybe that is the tradeoff. They wouldn't put us on nationally the first week, so we get pushed to week 2 with the game Bidwill wants.

I am not a country music fan but for some reason that Willie Nelson song of On the Road Again popped into my mind.

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
DieHardFromMO said:

Cards get MNF Game

Where did you find this report?

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
This can not be true....the NFL has put us on the road to start the season 18 years in a row.....all because it was too hot to play an afternoon game. Now we finally get an air conditioned stadium and we are still gonna be put on the road AGAIN.... BULLSH*T

The only way this could possibly be true at all would be if the NFL approached the Bidwill's and they cut a deal where the Cards will have 2 of their first 3 games at home, with the first game of the year being on the road, but the second game of the year we will throw you on the big stage Monday Night Football to face the bears at home in your new stadium, following that up with another game at home meaning you will get 2 games in september at home

p.s. i do get butterflies thinking about the home opener being on Monday Night Football though... holy moly can you imagine

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
If we open on the road again it better be against a crappy team like S.F. and not another opener like last year's Sept. 11 in NY game.

DieHardFromMO

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Lloydian

Registered
Reaction score
War Birds said:
i do get butterflies thinking about the home opener being on Monday Night Football though... holy moly can you imagine
Don't forget, though, that Monday is the new Sunday. The premier games are going to Sunday night while the national, but not necessarily great, games will fall on Monday for ESPN.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of misinformation on those boards. Some guys are saying that both Monday and Sunday night games in the second half of the season will be determined later by the league. From what I recall, only the last 7 weeks of the Sunday Night Games will be determined later -- and will only require time changes from earlier on Sunday to Sunday Night. That would mean a game scheduled on Monday could not be moved to Sunday and vice versa. Lots of it has to do with venue scheduling.

From ESPN;

NBC will start its Sunday broadcasts with a pregame show at 7 p.m. eastern; games will begin at 8:15. In the last seven weeks, the league will be able to shift afternoon games to prime time to ensure more meaningful games are shown on national TV.

CardFan67

Don't touch my tail!
Reaction score
I would really like to attend the home opener but was hoping for a Sunday afternoon game... Sunday or Monday night would really put a hitch in my Weekly commitments...

War Birds

Veteran
Reaction score
it doesnt matter what you say about Monday Night Football.... MNF is everyman's last chance of the weekend to watch football...its what gives hope to people at work on a dreadful monday....a monday night game in the desert would be juicy

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser