hoops.ws fantasy league '03-'04

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I hope people will be interested in doing the hoops.ws fantasy league again. Congratulations to Joe Mama, the '02-'03 winner, and slinslin, the runner-up.

Giddy from the power trip of having been last season's commissioner :rolleyes: , I will be the commissioner this season also. I have already set up the league, called "AZSF2003". So far it's capped at 16 teams, but we could change that if we wanted.

As the draft approaches (in mid October, as last time), I'll post more information about exactly how the league works.

Based on my experience with last year's league, I've decided to institute some minor changes this time around:

1. There's no nice way to say it: we had some cheating last season, by one person who I know is not a regular member of this board. This time, I'll ask everyone participating for a real name and a working e-mail address. If an apparent violation of the rules comes up, I will contact you so that you may respond to the charge. If you are nonresponsive, I will freeze you out by changing your password.

2. I've basically kept Chaplin's scoring system from last season, as it worked well and we are all used to it. However, I've made one modification: the scoring effects for team won/loss and attendance have been eliminated. Those were extremely buggy last year, and I see no reason to include them if the results will just be random and disruptive.

What difference will this make? Well, scores will be slightly lower, by probably around 25 points per game per team. Of course, that will affect everyone equally, but it just means that those lovely 600+ scores will be even harder to come by.

The other difference is that the value of low-minute players will be slightly reduced compared to high-minute players, versus last year. Last year, a bench-warmer could play one minute at the end of a team win and put up a big fantasy score just by walking on the floor. That isn't possible anymore. So someone like Kevin Willis, who averaged 2.0 fppm last season, won't be nearly so valuable this time around.

If you'd like to be involved, send me e-mail at [email protected]. There's no hurry: I'm not going to fill spots first-come first-served and close the league without giving people plenty of time to join. If it seems like more than 16 are really interested, we'll just expand the league.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Please explain the cheating. And, which team was it??

That really puts a damper on what I thought was one of the best fantasy games I've played.

I wouldn't expand the league. 16 is enough. It's hard enough to keep that many around for the whole season.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm not going to disclose the circumstances of the alleged cheating, because this is still an innocent-until-proven-guilty situation. I'm about 95% sure, but I don't want to make a federal case out of it. It had to do with a team that had been abandoned (not the Tucson team, which was resurrected by an honest manager).

In any case, a few of us sniffed it out quickly, we exchanged some messages about how to handle it, and got things set back right pretty quickly. It had minimal impact on the outcome of the league. In the long run, it really wasn't a big deal, but it was a pain in the ass that I don't want to deal with this time around.

Please play this year! It should be as good as ever. I'm amazed that the site isn't charging money for it yet.

Thanks for your advice about limiting the number of teams. It was hard enough (as you say) to get 16 committed managers last year, so I don't think we'll fill up this time around.

Last edited:
OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
The rules are complicated and I'll post some relevant summaries later. For now, go to hoops.sports.ws, click on the "Need help" link at the bottom of the page, and then scroll a little more than halfway down until you find "League Play." Read the sections on "scoring" and "lineups," and that will give you some idea. It's not explained all that well, but it should be enough to get you started.

Just to clarify, this isn't "my" league and I don't "run" it. It just requires a commissioner to start the draft and deal with some other administrative stuff, so I'll be doing that. Considering the humiliating defeat I suffered at Joe Mama's hands in last season's playoffs, I'd have to say that being the commissioner doesn't offer any playing advantage!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I've had nothing but problems since I started using it 3 years ago, but hey, it's fantasy bball, so I'm in!

Pimpin

Da Infamous One
Reaction score
How do you register with that site?

I've looked everywhere and can't find a registration link anywhere

All i see is "Log-in" links and stuff

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You go to hoops.sports.ws and click on "Create Team," then search for our league, which is AZSF2003.

Except ... I haven't told anyone the password yet. I'm going to wait until we have the group of participants set.

This is all very preliminary so far. There is a lot of time left.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I am in is it free? Would we have to change players everyday??

ehale911

Veteran
Reaction score
I played a couple of seasons ago and ran a team with Joe Mama, but missed the signup last season. I'd love to have a team again.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Originally posted by elindholm
If you'd like to be involved, send me e-mail at [email protected]. There's no hurry: I'm not going to fill spots first-come first-served and close the league without giving people plenty of time to join.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I won't be able to respond to e-mails for a couple of days, but I'll get to all inquiries about the fantasy league before too long.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am too lazy to send an email and then read the reply for the password so I will wait until the season is closer.

;)

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Good bump -- I'll be posting a bunch of stuff about the scoring system in a few days.

Slinslin, I never got an e-mail from you. Of course, there is still room for you and other interested parties to join.

OP
OP
elindholm

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Just to let everyone know, right now 14 managers have expressed interest. In no particular order:

• elindholm
  • sly fly
  • slinslin
  • S_Marbury (same as S_Marion?)
  • thegrahamcrackr
  • Brian in Mesa
  • offset
  • Chaplin
  • BigNastyDawg (from the ESPN board)
  • Joe Mama
  • Fordronken
  • Chris_Sanders
  • Gorilla
  • "nobody1," last year's fill-in Tucson manager, who I know by his real name

If you aren't interested anymore, please let me know. Otherwise, there are potentially two spots left. It would also be fine to go with 14 teams -- the talent pool would be a little less diluted.

I'll send the password out soon.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by joshofaz
hi im new to the site but i'd like to join as well.

Just wanted to welcome you to the site. It's a little slow right now because of the time of year regarding basketball, but it will get going soon enough. It's good to have you here.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Shouldn't we start the draft pretty soon?

I would like it to be over when the preseason starts which is beginning of october already.

If we wait until preseason a lot of sleepers won't be sleepers anymore.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
And could we make this thread a sticky post please, moderators?

By doing that we would have more people reading about it and interested in joining.

We will need this thread at least until all the fantasy leagues are set up anyway.
(Who checks the fantasy sports board anyway???)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05