How do we build our offensive line?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards could get a decent OL with the first pick (2nd Round) on Day 2 as some projected first rounder may drop.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Also trading down in the second round might get us another 2nd or early 3rd...I think that is a great range to find a solid OL.

We need solid picks across the board, no Chad Williams, (Picture SK, "look at me...I am the smart guy, finding talent at small schools wizard"), high risk-high reward players...instant, tough contributors.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Also trading down in the second round might get us another 2nd or early 3rd...I think that is a great range to find a solid OL.

We need solid picks across the board, no Chad Williams, (Picture SK, "look at me...I am the smart guy, finding talent at small schools wizard"), high risk-high reward players...instant, tough contributors.

The first pick in the second round has to be the most tradeable pick. Teams have all night to look at the list of available players and negotiate offers, it is a good position to be in for the Cardinals.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I totally agree. There usually is some player that a team really wants and is willing to trade up for the first pick in the 2nd round. I can see us getting several picks for it and we sure have lots of holes to fill.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I totally agree. There usually is some player that a team really wants and is willing to trade up for the first pick in the 2nd round. I can see us getting several picks for it and we sure have lots of holes to fill.
There will be a lot of offers for that pick. Just hope Kiem doesn’t out smart himself.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
It is usually for a 1st rounder who slipped into the second with a rival about to pick in close proximity!

If we play our cards right, this could be a great offseason for us!

Also look at a team like the Bears, after years of futility, you see how quickly they turned it around with the right offseason moves.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumors about compensatory picks?

I think we will get an extra 6th and 7th rounder. Keim mentioned that we should get a couple. I saw someplace on the internet (can't remember where) that we would get two in those rounds. But nothing yet official.

The Kraken

Veteran
Reaction score
Colts have been collecting young, aggressive lineman and they play in a system that suits their strengths.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Based on the Over the Cap site, 3 7th rounders as comp picks. Not a big haul for sure.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Based on the Over the Cap site, 3 7th rounders as comp picks. Not a big haul for sure.

probably its going to change since they had cut bradford and andre smith

Last edited:

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
We need to sign one big time lineman and draft another with our second round pick. Bring Barksdale back if for nothing else than having an experienced backup. For the time being I think we need to keep Pugh and Humphries. It’s going to take two years to fix the line.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When looking to build an offensive line, I think it is comforting to see other teams with highly respected lines - like the Rams and Patriots - not have a single first round pick in their starting rotation.

Rams: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, and 7th.

Patriots: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and UFA.

Plenty of other teams (some with decent lines) have one or two UFA's as starters as well.

It's more about getting a cohesive unit that plays well together.

FWIW, here are a couple of other teams...

Colts: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 4th.

Steelers: 1st, 1st, 4th, UFA, and UFA.

Titans: 1st, 4th, 5th, UFA, and UFA.

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
Far from quick. They were roasting pace before this season

Sure. He overvalued Trubisky and undervalued Mahomes/Watson but other than that Pace has done a great job rebuilding that team.
Rebuilds take years.

Cardinal

All Star
Reaction score
When looking to build an offensive line, I think it is comforting to see other teams with highly respected lines - like the Rams and Patriots - not have a single first round pick in their starting rotation.

Rams: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, and 7th.

Patriots: 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, and UFA.

Plenty of other teams (some with decent lines) have one or two UFA's as starters as well.

It's more about getting a cohesive unit that plays well together.

FWIW, here are a couple of other teams...

Colts: 1st, 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 4th.

Steelers: 1st, 1st, 4th, UFA, and UFA.

Titans: 1st, 4th, 5th, UFA, and UFA.

Colts are even more stacked. They have 3 1st round picks on their O-Line. LT Castonzo, LG Nelson, C Kelly.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure. He overvalued Trubisky and undervalued Mahomes/Watson but other than that Pace has done a great job rebuilding that team.
Rebuilds take years.
Won’t get any argument from me. I think pace has done a great job. Except for maybe placekicker.. lol

Reactions: HGC