How good is Barbosa right now?

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
There was this discussion on another board where a Jazz fan claimed Barbosa can't do anything except shoot on the Suns offense and that he would start on maybe 4 teams in the league.

Seems to me like that guy is one ignorant fool, even I as a Barbosa hater last season must admit that Barbosa plays allstar caliber ball, 23/4/5 on great shooting numbers without tonight as a starter and 20/4/5 on the season.

It doesn't look like Bell will get his starting job back easy.

Atlanta- he would start at the PG
Boston- he would start at the PG or SG with Pierce at SF
New York- should start over Crawford or Francis
Philly- should start with Iverson at the 1 or 2.
Raptors- should start at the 2
Chicago- would fight with Gordon and Hinrich for one of the spots
Cavs- would start at the 1 or 2
Pacers- would start at the 1.
Bucks- would probably start at 1 or even 2 with Redd at the 3
Bobcats- would probably start at the 2
Miami- would start with Wade
Orlando- would start him at the 2
Washington- would start him at the 2
Dallas and San Antonio- they could switch lineups possibly with him
Houston- would start him at 1 or 2
Memphis- would start him at the 1
New Orleans- might start him over Mason at the 2
Denver- would start him at the 2
Minnesota- could start him at the 1 and definately 2
Portland- would most likely start him at any guard spot
Sonics- only if they go small
New Jersey- the team that most likely wouldn't start him
Pistons- also would not
Jazz- would start him at the 2
Warriors- would start him over Ellis
Lakers- would start him at the 1.
Clippers- could start him over Mobley or Cassell
Kings- could start him at the 2 and move Martin to 3 probably

In short, we got a huge bargain with Barbosa.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd still like to see him make something besides a three-pointer or a layup. He has to develop a mid-range game.

Nash

Reaction score
I don't think he'd start in CHI. Hinrich is an excellent PG -- he breaks up defenses to open up teammates and is a far better paser than LB. Gordon is havin some shooting trouble now but I just have a feeling LB won't start for the Bulls.

WAS - DeShawn starts at the 2 for them right? I doubt if LB would start because the Wizards are trying to play better defense. I'd prefer LB though.

Clips - I'm sure they would prefer Mobley or Cassell to start over Barbosa because of their style of play. I think Cassell is a better option too, because he brings leadership and veteran savvy to the game. (apart from occasional gaffes like the half-court rule violation in the WCSF :D )

Overall, LB is a nice addition but he still needs to improve his decision making. He makes some bonehead moves quite often and that pisses me off. But its nice to see his improved defense.

cly2tw

Reaction score
he has the potential to be as good as Parker.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Some nights he looks like an allstar and other nights like a work in progress. He's stringing more and more good games together though.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Last night was really one of the only times I've seen him play and appear like he knew how to dish the ball to create shots for other players.

He really appeared dominate the whole night and it was a breath of fresh air to see him passing the ball off.

But like Eli said above, he needs to develop a mid range game and quick. Last night every shot that wasn't behind the line and wasn't in the paint was a brick and he looked really awkward when throwing them up.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/gamecenter/shotchart/NBA_20061111_MEM@PHO Take a look at his shot chart.

But his midrange will come. This season it's apparent he's improved his defense so I'm sure he's working on this 15 footers.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
There was this discussion on another board where a Jazz fan claimed Barbosa can't do anything except shoot on the Suns offense and that he would start on maybe 4 teams in the league.

Seems to me like that guy is one ignorant fool, even I as a Barbosa hater last season must admit that Barbosa plays allstar caliber ball, 23/4/5 on great shooting numbers without tonight as a starter and 20/4/5 on the season.

It doesn't look like Bell will get his starting job back easy.

Atlanta- he would start at the PG
Boston- he would start at the PG or SG with Pierce at SF
New York- should start over Crawford or Francis
Philly- should start with Iverson at the 1 or 2.
Raptors- should start at the 2
Chicago- would fight with Gordon and Hinrich for one of the spots
Cavs- would start at the 1 or 2
Pacers- would start at the 1.
Bucks- would probably start at 1 or even 2 with Redd at the 3
Bobcats- would probably start at the 2
Miami- would start with Wade
Orlando- would start him at the 2
Washington- would start him at the 2
Dallas and San Antonio- they could switch lineups possibly with him
Houston- would start him at 1 or 2
Memphis- would start him at the 1
New Orleans- might start him over Mason at the 2
Denver- would start him at the 2
Minnesota- could start him at the 1 and definately 2
Portland- would most likely start him at any guard spot
Sonics- only if they go small
New Jersey- the team that most likely wouldn't start him
Pistons- also would not
Jazz- would start him at the 2
Warriors- would start him over Ellis
Lakers- would start him at the 1.
Clippers- could start him over Mobley or Cassell
Kings- could start him at the 2 and move Martin to 3 probably

In short, we got a huge bargain with Barbosa.

Agree 100%. BTW, I'm "Nash2Amare" on that board, and absolutely hate the anti Suns trolls.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Some nights he looks like an allstar and other nights like a work in progress. He's stringing more and more good games together though.
This is how I feel about him. He has improved alot this year.

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
stats speak the most. leandro's stats after 7 games:

20ppg/6ast/4reb/1.4stl on 44%fg, 90%ft and 45% from 3

leandro compares favorably to the leagues 'B' level stars at this point (which is no small task!)

b level
tony parker: 24ppg/5ast/3reb
sam cassell: 22ppg/6ast/4reb
tracy mcgrady: 19ppg/6ast/6reb
mike bibby: 17ppg/6ast/4reb

c level
luke ridnour: 13ppg/6ast/3reb
jamal crawford: 15ppg/3ast/3reb

as far as i'm concerned, barbosa is playing like a top 30 player right now.

barbosa is currently ranked in following categories:
25 in ppg
21 in ast/gm
32 in 3 fg%
24 in ft%
27 in steals

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Others have touched on this but Leo had a few good drive and dishes last night. Even as recently as last year many of those would have been blown layups or turnovers but he's getting a it better at keeping his head up and finding the seams.

His defense appears to have improved as well. I was impressed with his foot movement and he seemed to gamble less too. It was the first game I've seen this year from start to finish but if he can keep this up he should win 6th man.

Nash

Reaction score
I saw the game highlights and was real glad to see the Barbosa-Amare tandem. It helped put to rest speculation about Amare not gelling with the team and being ignored by them.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit how surprised I am at Barbosa right now. I always thought Barbosa was decent but never thought he would play this good. My biggest problem with Barbosa has been that too often when he beats guys to the bucket, he can't finish. He would throw up this crazy crud that had no shot.

Barbosa is still doing it this season but much less. The thing I noticed is that hes trying to initiate contact and get to the free throw line. Barbosa is also shooting lights out from 3.

I was really worried that when he got his contract that maybe he wouldn't be as motivated to improve. However, so far he has proven me wrong. I have to admit that if Barbosa continues down this path, I think he can get even better.

Mabye Nash is rubbing off on him all the sudden.

Esther

Rookie
Reaction score
I was really worried that when he got his contract that maybe he wouldn't be as motivated to improve. However, so far he has proven me wrong. I have to admit that if Barbosa continues down this path, I think he can get even better.

This summer, I was getting my first Suns jersey and deciding between Nash, Bell, Diaw or Barbosa. I end up getting Barbosa because he is really becoming my favorite player. I am a very new basketball/Suns fan (about 1 year) and I've always been so impressed by Barbosa's attitude. Anyone can say that they value relationships and helping their team more than personal gains, but when Leandro says that, it just feel like he absolutely means it. I never doubt that he would stop working hard after getting a contract. And I am so glad to see his game getting better and better too.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
If Barbosa ever developed a mid-range shot he's a shoe in for 25ppg, 5apg, 4rpg.

And as long as Diaw can get back to 13/7/7, the JJ sting won't hurt as much. (JJ is just killing it this year.)

planaria

Rookie
Reaction score
As a Nuggets fan, I say that Barbosa would be a no brainer as our starter SG. Great guy, nice contract extension. Congratulations!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
After last night, the Suns are looking like they got a steal with that contract they gave him. He was the best player on the court along with Amare most of the time...

nowagimp

Reaction score
After last night, the Suns are looking like they got a steal with that contract they gave him. He was the best player on the court along with Amare most of the time...

Barbosa does look like a steal at 5/32. Funny how many on this board thought the suns overpaid for Barbosa or were ready to deal him for a big stiff. He was all over the ball on D last night as well with 5 steals and 10 rebounds. He could be the most improved player in the NBA this year if he keeps it up. I believe that Barbosa can be a top 30 NBA player within a few years, he has the physical skills and a great attitude.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
He has gotten alot better.

I thought everyone felt his contract was very fair.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Barbosa does look like a steal at 5/32. Funny how many on this board thought the suns overpaid for Barbosa or were ready to deal him for a big stiff. He was all over the ball on D last night as well with 5 steals and 10 rebounds. He could be the most improved player in the NBA this year if he keeps it up. I believe that Barbosa can be a top 30 NBA player within a few years, he has the physical skills and a great attitude.

I thought it was Banks, not Barbosa, that everyone complained about.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i thought they may have opverpaid Barbs a little bit, but wasn't bent out of shape about it and now, good god, he's a RIDICULOUS STEAL at this point. He's almost averaging 20, 5 and 5 and he just keeps getting better. The sky could be the limit with this kid.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I think I was the only one that said we overpaid for Leandro, but I wasn't interested in dealing him for a big stiff. I do recall some others suggesting trades involving him, like you said, but not droves of people.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Of course, if a fan talks about trading a player away, that doesn't necessarily reflect negatively on the player. Some fans understand that you have to give up quality to get quality, and their trade speculation reflects that.

The only problem with Barbosa's contract is that it retroactively made the Banks signing pointless. Sure, Banks comes in handy when his good games happen to coincide with Nash's unavailability, but he's getting paid awfully well for those rare circumstances.

fordronken

Reaction score
Of course, if a fan talks about trading a player away, that doesn't necessarily reflect negatively on the player. Some fans understand that you have to give up quality to get quality, and their trade speculation reflects that.

The only problem with Barbosa's contract is that it retroactively made the Banks signing pointless. Sure, Banks comes in handy when his good games happen to coincide with Nash's unavailability, but he's getting paid awfully well for those rare circumstances.

I think Banks will end up being a good player for this team, even if it's not this year. By "good player", by the way, I mean beneficial to the team in a playoff setting. To me, Marcus Banks is a guy who will eventually be able to consistently do things for the team that nobody else does in a reserve role. His jump shooting may be inconsistent forever (but so is Eddie House's, and we all saw how that turned out). At least with Banks, I feel that his defense and his ability to get to the free throw line will make him important for the team. Remember people talking about what a bust Barbosa was for his first year? While I don't think Banks will ever be as important to the team as Barbosa is or will be, I think he'll be a consistent role player on this team as early as this year and as late as next season.