How good will Amare be?

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Many of you think if we keep Amare and get roles players around him we can compete for a title... but realisticly how good is he going to be compared to other players? Just in the year he was drafted there was a debate that he wasn't the best player with Yao... Ok in the next two three years who is his competition going to be? Yao, Lebron James, Carmelo Anthony, Dwayne Wade, Kobe Bryant, Shaq(maybe), McGrady, Garnett, Duncan, Jermaine Oneal, Nene (kind of a stretch) any new guys who come through in the next couple years....

Do you guys think Amare will be in lets say, the top three players in three years?

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amare is more than a super athlete that has great size, length, quickness, leaving abililty and a nose for the basket. Amare has a nasty streak and is DRIVEN to be a super player.

Last season Amare was concerned about developing his ball handling skills, so carried a ball with him constantly to work on his dribbling skils. The coaches say repeatedly that his a tremendously hard worker who is a sponge for learning.

Mike D'Antoni said he does not think that anyone can stop him one on one NOW. As he develops his outside shot, spin move, hook, and other shots... And he will because he is not satisfied with being really good. He wants to be in the elite and is willing to do what it takes to get there.

Stephon said he was with KG when he first came up and there was no question that Amare was a lot better his first year than KG was.

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
Hope so

I think the big question is going to be his defense. I think there is no question that he will not only be a great offensive player, but maybe a player that for some teams is almost unstopable. He will be a difficult match-up for teams in the years ahead. What will decide if he is truely great or not is if his defense can develop as much as his offense. He has the physical talent to be a great, great defender. Lets hope he reaches that level where he is a feared defender in the league.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
perivolaki said:
I think the big question is going to be his defense. I think there is no question that he will not only be a great offensive player, but maybe a player that for some teams is almost unstopable. He will be a difficult match-up for teams in the years ahead. What will decide if he is truely great or not is if his defense can develop as much as his offense. He has the physical talent to be a great, great defender. Lets hope he reaches that level where he is a feared defender in the league.

I am really excited about him being on the Olympic team with Larry Brown and Tim Duncan. Sounds like a summer camp on learning to play defense. :thumbup:

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
I am really excited about him being on the Olympic team with Larry Brown and Tim Duncan. Sounds like a summer camp on learning to play defense. :thumbup:

hopefully he'll use his time wisely and pick the brains of the other players and larry brown.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know I keep throwing this out there, but Amare is ALREADY a 20-10 guy. Look around the league and see how few guys do that. If Amare can eventually be our center, a 20-10 center can't lead Phoenix to a championship? Even if he stays at PF, he's already getting double teamed. He's in the upper tier of NBA players in arguably ONLY a year and a half of NBA play!

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is true. Spending time with Larry Brown on the Olympic team will be more profitable for him than any summer camp or summer training regimen.

Brown is a coachaholic who cannot help but improve the technical aspects of a players game.

scotsman13

Reaction score
i think that amares defense will get to the point of other great power forwards malone and duncan and garrnet. in true he defense wont matter as much because anyone that is a good one on one defense will be in foul trouble so fast that they will be on the bench if they try to guard him that way.

right now there are only 2 players in the nba i would even think about trading him for duncan and garrnet. everyone else isnt worth the phone call.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
scotsman13 said:
i think that amares defense will get to the point of other great power forwards malone and duncan and garrnet. in true he defense wont matter as much because anyone that is a good one on one defense will be in foul trouble so fast that they will be on the bench if they try to guard him that way.

right now there are only 2 players in the nba i would even think about trading him for duncan and garrnet. everyone else isnt worth the phone call.

One of the reasons I am so anxious to get a strong defender at center is to take the pressure off Amare so he does not have to play the opponent's best ofensive big man. This was one of the hidden aspects of having McDyess at center late in the season, he typically took that role.

That being said, Amare still has a long way to go to be adequate on defense. The Pistons are not an aberation. No one is going to win a championship without a great defense.

fordronken

Reaction score
He's got that crazy fire that's contagious and will make people around him want to work their butts off. I think it'll come down to Amare versus LeBron. Just my gut feeling.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Amare does not mind contact, and when he hits people they get hurt not him.

I think that Karl Malone getting hurt really effected the finals this year. Malone has always been able to score, but developed into an excellent defender and that showed in the playoffs. Detroit would have won anyway, but it might have taken them a game more if Malone had played.

The suns must find a defensive center to play with Amare. Hopefully they can sign a free agent this year that helps.

:cool: