How Long You Been A Suns fan?

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
I started to like the team in 2004 when they got Nash, but I wouldn't say I was a huge fan yet.

I became a huge fan during the 2006 playoffs. I was already rooting for them to win from the start, but the heart they showed being undersized and having the odds against them in every series, not to mention how much fun they were to watch, really won me over and made to where I haven't missed a Suns game since. Sorry, but I'm a fan of players and styles of play, not cities. If the Suns traded Nash and changed to a drastically different style of play, I would probably have to move on too.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I've been a suns fan since KJ had that vicious dunk on Hakeem Olajuwon. I still get chills watching that, one of my favorite dunks ever! I grew up playing bball and pretending to be KJ.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
They were always one of my favorite teams to watch growing up when I lived in Boise, ID. I used to love KJ, Hornacek, and Thunder Dan. I moved here right before the Barkley trade to Houston, and have been on board ever since.

Rex Chapman is probably my favorite Sun of all time.

Phade

Registered
Reaction score
became a fan when they drafted amare.. loved him since his highschool days followed all his games etc.. used to see him downtown orlando alot and he was actually social and would interact with fans..

didn't have a nba team before that..

bigfoot

Mystery solved.
Reaction score
Great thread! :thumbup: I see there's a lot of history here. No wonder people are so passionate.
Well, me, I'm still just a 'toddler' as far as Suns fandom is concerned. I got hooked on the Suns sometime in the 04-05 season. I was still living in the Philippines then. For some reason I caught a lot of Suns games on cable that year. They reminded me of PBA's (Philippine league) Ginebra San Miguel - the team I rooted for as a child with my whole family - and I was instantly enchanted.
IIRC, Suns had the best record that year. Nash was MVP. And Amare was just fantastic! They lost the conference to the Spurs, I think. But man... what a great year. The team was so full of optimism and promise!
Sigh.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
Great thread! :thumbup: I see there's a lot of history here. No wonder people are so passionate.
Well, me, I'm still just a 'toddler' as far as Suns fandom is concerned. I got hooked on the Suns sometime in the 04-05 season. I was still living in the Philippines then. For some reason I caught a lot of Suns games on cable that year. They reminded me of PBA's (Philippine league) Ginebra San Miguel - the team I rooted for as a child with my whole family - and I was instantly enchanted.
IIRC, Suns had the best record that year. Nash was MVP. And Amare was just fantastic! They lost the conference to the Spurs, I think. But man... what a great year. The team was so full of optimism and promise!
Sigh.

why ginebra? jawo?

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I have been there since the gate!
my best memories was when I was about 10. my mom worked at "hobo joe's" (now denny's 16th and camelback) my dad, me and my sisters went to get a bite to eat while we waited for our mom to get off work. while we're waiting, Connie Hawkins and his family come in and sit right across from us. my dad takes us over the meet the "Hawk" he signed autographs and all that.

I knew of the suns before that night, but that was when I really became a "suns fan"

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
My dad takes us over the meet the "Hawk" he signed autographs and all that.
My younger son was a red-hot Suns fan. We always stopped at the Original Hamburger Works just off Thomas before heading to the Madhouse on McDowell.

Anyway, one time Paul and I saw his favorite player, Paul Westphal at the PV Mall and got his autograph. He signed it, "From Paul, To Paul". My son treasured it for a long time.

A few years later, we got to the game early and Paul's favorite player at that time, Thunder Dan, was shooting baskets alone. I called to see if he would come over and sign an autograph.

Majerle started over, then saw two good looking girls trying to get his attention, and headed toward them instead.

You could probably hear me miles away, as I said, "Daaan!" He came over to Paul.

Or the time we left long after the game had ended and went out from the lowest floor on the East side of the Coluseum . . . just as the Suns were leaving.

We found ourselves next to DJ. Funny how a little Guard doesn't look so little when his 6'4" is standing next to my 5'10".

Many happy memories at the Madhouse on McDowell. Except for a Coach, John MacLeod, who played light players in heavier positions. Luckily, that doesn't happen any m................. Oops.

Billy Bob

Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
We always stopped at the Original Hamburger Works just off Thomas before heading to the Madhouse on McDowell
15 ave and Thomas, used to be called "Fudpuckers" it was a game room I used to hang at back in high school (west high) all the locals called it "Pojo's"

more great memories!

Phxchris1989

Registered
Reaction score
Since I first moved to Arizona back in '05. I feel like such a newbie compared to you guys. :( If only I'd have moved out here sooner.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
I think it was the 77-78 season. I was 12. I remember the first game I ever went to at the Madhouse was against the Spurs and George Gervin scored something like 44 points, but the Suns still won the game. I was hooked from then on. I used to sit and listen to Al McCoy do every game on the radio and would get excited when they were on TV, which was not very often back then.

Ahhhh...the good ole days!

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
I used to like the Suns when they had Chucky and went to the Finals against MJ. I hated them when Marbury was there.

I admire them now since Nash took over. Spurs are still my crew tho.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
you people disgust me...."since i moved here i have been a suns fan, that was back in '86"....please...i bet these are the same fans that run their mouth about horrible trades and us losing in the first round....Ive been a fan since '83....i was born in '83....dont come original if you aint original....the suns will give it their all and bust in the playoffs...it is just going to happen, we will win no title, we all have false hopes, i hate to break it to you guys but it is the suns way, we wont win it, but we will root, cheer, and yearn for our sqaud to win it all...enough with the negativity, year after year the same **** happens, dont act surprised, done and done....

GorrilaLips

Registered
Reaction score
Lived here in Arizona all my life, been a native Suns fan since I could remember some of their names. Mark me as another Dan Majerle, Jeff Hornacek, Mark West, KJ etc. etc.
I remember in 4th grade...getting excited about Cedric Ceballos; and I remember supporting whatever Dan Majerle's fund raisers were because our elementary school sold Majerle bars! They had like crispy rice, caramel, chocolate....they were okay, but for a buck!!! that's highway robbery for a little kid! LOL!:)

I was a Richard Dumas fan club member...and we all called him Richard "Doom-boom" dumas because of his crazy athletic dunks! I thought I was the coolest kid with his rookie card. So dissapointed as all suns fans were when he decided to go Daryl Strawberry on us.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Lived here in Arizona all my life, been a native Suns fan since I could remember some of their names. Mark me as another Dan Majerle, Jeff Hornacek, Mark West, KJ etc. etc.
I remember in 4th grade...getting excited about Cedric Ceballos; and I remember supporting whatever Dan Majerle's fund raisers were because our elementary school sold Majerle bars! They had like crispy rice, caramel, chocolate....they were okay, but for a buck!!! that's highway robbery for a little kid! LOL!:)

I was a Richard Dumas fan club member...and we all called him Richard "Doom-boom" dumas because of his crazy athletic dunks! I thought I was the coolest kid with his rookie card. So dissapointed as all suns fans were when he decided to go Daryl Strawberry on us.

Charles Barkley still names Richard Dumas on the list of some of the best players he's ever played with. That's really saying something, considering there are Hall of Famers on that list as well.