How many players are we away?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
After much talk about a playoff caliber roster, Rod Graves comes out and says that we aren't 1 or 2 players away from the promised land. I disagree, and think that 10 million is plenty to take care of our holes. Let's face it, in the salary cap era, every team has it's strengths and weaknesses. I truly believe we are a competent line, and a decent defensive back away from being real contenders. I believe most of the frustration from the board is from the fact that we do have legitimate talent on the team, but fail to realize the importance of taking care of the offensive line, which has been an obvious problem for a long time. Hopefully with experience and coaching, the line will gel as the year goes on. Anyway, does anyone think we are more than one or two players away from being a true contender?

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are only 2-3 players away from being a very good football team although, we may be that many coaches away as well. If you look at our roster, we have something that I have never seen on this team, NFL caliber players at every position. I think we are missing that true anchor on the OL; the guy that forms the unit. Add another mid-level to big star on Defense and we will compete consistently with any NFL team.

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
I disagree, and think that 10 million is plenty to take care of our holes.

If those players are available and want to sign with us and then pan out when they get here

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we are about 7 players away from being a consistant playoff team:

3 Offensive Linemen
1 Defensive Tackle
1 Linebacker
1 Free Safety
1 Cornerback

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
1 young defensive end who can russ the passer
1 defensive back who can make plays in passing game
1 playmaking linebacker (could/should be Dansby)
2 offensive linemen
1 backup RB

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

3 Offensive Linemen
1 Defensive Tackle
1 Linebacker
1 Free Safety
1 Cornerback

I agree with your assessment, and we may have the D-tackle and O-lineman (guard) already on our roster. So it could be as few as 5........

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
One FA period away from a SB contender, depending on what's available.

We need two O linemen starters.

A killer LBer.

A Killer Corner.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I would not mind seeing the cards get a good GM. Plus I think they are going to need a center and tackle for the offense. Another lb and a solid corner.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
conraddobler said:
One FA period away from a SB contender, depending on what's available.

We need two O linemen starters.

A killer LBer.

A Killer Corner.

Weren't guys like that available this past off season?

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

You mean Ty Law and Julian Peterson? I absolutely wanted the team to pursue Ty Law (Newsflash I am actually criticizing the team) but for some reason they didn't.. at least not publicly.

Julian Peterson... eh... not so much. I don't think he was worth the money.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
1 young defensive end who can russ the passer
1 defensive back who can make plays in passing game
1 playmaking linebacker (could/should be Dansby)
2 offensive linemen
1 backup RB

Yeah, I am starting to have an itch to prepare for Berry's slide/departure. He has 2 years fter this? Drafting a guy now to groom would be proactive, so I doubt we'd do it. ;-)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
clif said:

It would have been worth the money just to keep him away from Seattle.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
clif said:
You mean Ty Law and Julian Peterson? I absolutely wanted the team to pursue Ty Law (Newsflash I am actually criticizing the team) but for some reason they didn't.. at least not publicly.

I'm still not sure about Law. Yeah, he had a lot of INTs, but most "league" guys I hear on the radio like him, but don't love him and feel he will begin the quick slide downward very soon.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
Boy its sure nicer to hear him say we are a few players away than that BS in 03 when they used to tell us we had the players to win right then. Many of whom aren't even in the NFL now. At least they've got it right now.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
A center
A middle linebacker or great OLB
A free safety
A DE to replace Okeafer
Possibly a RT depending on how Ross does this year

mesacardsfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Too bad they saying this crap now after selling out a stadium saying we were gonna be a playoff contender. All of a sudden we don't have the players to compete? Waht a load of crap by the front office. This is why we still are looked at as a joke of a franchise. RG is a talking mouthpeice for the Bidwills and I am growing tired of his face period!

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
abomb said:
I think we are missing that true anchor on the OL; the guy that forms the unit.

That's why so many wanted LeCharles Bentley but he didn't want to come. Every O-line should have a take charge center or a very highly skilled OG like Pitt. has. Lutui could develop and I'd like to see him in there soon and move Wells to C or stay on at RT.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
mesacardsfan said:
Too bad they saying this crap now after selling out a stadium saying we were gonna be a playoff contender. All of a sudden we don't have the players to compete? Waht a load of crap by the front office. This is why we still are looked at as a joke of a franchise. RG is a talking mouthpeice for the Bidwills and I am growing tired of his face period!

No, I think he's backing Green in saying we need more help at some postitions.
That if the players are there to make a play for them. The stadium is SOLD OUT - so the emphasis could be on the Bidwells not to hold back the extra cap $$'s. Go and spend and give back to the fans. Graves is clearly backing Green this time.

Bobcat

Reaction score
NMCard said:
I would not mind seeing the cards get a good GM. Plus I think they are going to need a center and tackle for the offense. Another lb and a solid corner.

Her is a thought move big to center, yes CENTER. Dallas did this with Derrick Kinnard who played guard here and in New Orleans. The boys moved him to center because he was such a wide body that it was hard for anyone's D-line or Line Backers to rush or blitz up the middle. how many times did you ever see Emmitt or Troy get hit up the middle. The Kinnard move was pure genious by Jimmy Johnson. Move Wells to LT, Ross to RT, Luti to LG, and the new guy "L something to RG. Also Bring back Hodgers(SP) to FB so EDGE would feel more at home.

"NOW DISCUSS" I feel a bit "Flakempt."

BOBCAT

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

3 Offensive Linemen
1 Defensive Tackle
1 Linebacker
1 Free Safety
1 Cornerback

Pretty much my thoughts as well. We may have the DT's on this roster but why take any chances, get a true disrupter.

I agree with MTFC that another DE should be added as well.

On the Oline we need an OT and C for sure.

I would add a blocking TE to the list if Wakefield doesn't progress by seasons end.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nine of them. Both tackles, Tight end, one guard, quarterback, running back, both receiver and then a then a back up guy.

btw was Vermeils coors light commerical. I love that commercial.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Duckjake said:

Were all of these guys available to the Cards last year?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In order of necessity:

1 C
1 LG
1 RT
1 CB
1 OLB

I think Hayes will be fine for us in the middle, and I think Griffith/Francisco/Brewer will be alright at FS.

As others have expressed, I'd like to get a young pas-rushing DE in here before we HAVE to have one (ie: before Berry slows down/retires), but I don't think we need that right now to win.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan