How will the Spurs adjust in Game 3?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spurs fans seem to be calling for Matt Bonner to get some (or all) of Elson's minutes. I'd be sad to see Elson go, personally, because he's such a dog on offense and Amare kills him in one-on-one.

I can't for the life of me find a possible adjustment as the possible series changer of KT in the starting lineup. The Spurs don't have anyone else on their bench that can change the game with a start, unless Manu finds his wayward shot/confidence. I don't think Pops can look down his bench and say, "I'll insert this guy and we have the advantage again."

If Spurs are intent on being the Spurs win or lose, I suppose the most dramatic thing they might do is put Parker on Nash.

Any other guesses? Will the Spurs go small, as I've speculated elsewhere?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manu being agressive and taking the ball to the hoop with authority.

Setting double picks to free Tony Parker up some.

Besides that, I can't see any more adjustments. Their players just have to execute.

edit. One of their wing players could also try trapping Nash high on the P&R, like the Lakers did.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They will grab and hold more, whine and cry more, b and complain more and hope the get an advantage because it is their home court.

That's how the Spurs always adjust.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The most obvious adjustment would be to double Nash, pack the paint, and pull their defenders in and let the Suns shoot three pointers. It's a high risk strategy, but in the first round the Suns shot only 35% for three despite a relatively weak perimeter defense.

It is a high risk strategy because the Suns CAN defeat anybody when their shots are falling. However, the Suns seem to go cold too often for comfort.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
They will grab and hold more, whine and cry more, b and complain more and hope the get an advantage because it is their home court.

That's how the Spurs always adjust.
Makes sense. :lol:

I expect the Spurs will work harder to get KT to switch--double screens sound about right.

Also, Barbosa did surprisingly well defending Manu last night, but I expect they'll look for Ginobili as soon as Raja goes to the bench in game 3.

Gorilla

Booooya!!!
Reaction score
I don't think the spurs will make any major adjustments. If something, try to get some mismatches of the Pick and Roll and try to get Thomas or Amare in uncomfortable situations and see if they can get them in foul trouble. After that, get back to their original game plan.

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note, has anyone noticed how high the Suns are setting up the screen and roll? Nash is literally setting up at the 3 point arc. I've never seen that play set up so high before. It ain't working well, either, but it worked better last night than when they were trying that at the elbow in Game 1.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Look for Ginobili to be more aggressive. I think he will try to go to the basket more often. Their focus will be to get Ginobili going as per post game comments. He is their #3 guy.

Errntknght

Reaction score
We can depend on seeing more whining by the Spurs... they've been uncharacteristically low key so far. Strange to see refs in a SA game without Duncan constantly hanging over their shoulders pleading his cases - past, present and future.

I expect them to make some other changes as well - they've got to exploit Nash more on the defensive end. He was very helpful against Parker by ignoring Bowen and moving into the lane as soon as Parker did. They could move Bowen over to right side so its not as easy for Nash to track Tony and Bruce would be more in Parker's field of view - if he's nailing his threes that would a problem for us. Or have him go set back picks for slashers like Gino or Fins.

Frankly, Bowen is not bothering Nash that much and Parker does a decent job - so they could sit Bowen in favor of more Ginobili or Horry, which means Nash has to work more on defense.

I would also expect them to attack Kurt even more in order to tire him out. Keep going to Duncan directly but also have Timmie setting many more high picks for Tony, trying to get KT to switch then isolate him. Have Tony drive trying to ring up fouls on him as well as tiring him.

They might as well try Bonner some - statistically he rebounds about as well as Elson/Oberto but he can force Amare to guard him out at the arc as he's a 39% shooter from there. I suspect he can't defend quite as well as those two but keeping Amare well out of the paint on defense would be huge for them.

In general, I think we'll see SA get much more aggressive going to the basket, regardless of whatever else they do.

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
A couple of things they may try:

1. Start Manu Ginobli and try to get him started in the offensive side early. So far he has had a horrible playoff series against both the Denver squad and the Suns. Maybe returning him back to the first team and making an effort to get him open may get his confidence going again;

2. Doubling Nash and forcing other Phoenix players to make the shots;

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
A couple of things they may try:

1. Start Manu Ginobli and try to get him started in the offensive side early. So far he has had a horrible playoff series against both the Denver squad and the Suns. Maybe returning him back to the first team and making an effort to get him open may get his confidence going again;
I also think this may happen.

2. Doubling Nash and forcing other Phoenix players to make the shots;
Lakers tried but Nash was able to beat their trap. This may work for short duration but look for Nash to figure it out.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
They will make KT switch off Duncan, and they will double Nash high...

Oh and B'ch and complain alot.

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
i think they will:

1) not let KT get wide open looks, he proved he can hit them so they have to respect hit midrange game
2) pack the paint to make sure they arent out rebounded and to prevent dunks/easy layups for nash.
3) let manu drive more, especially with barbosa on him. once raja sits, he has to take advantage. maybe raja should just shadow ginobili all game
4) try to get a switch so that amare (not KT) has to guard duncan.
5) not let duncan get switched onto nash, he got eaten alive by him last game

joshtd1

Reaction score
Personally I think our best chance to win is if we for Nash to become a scorer..Someone at our forum said it best..if we can limit Nash to under 10 assists we have a great chance to win the game..last game he was able to get into the lane way to easy and get everyone open looks..that will be the biggest change the Spurs will try and make. I dont think Manu will start, but I'd like to see him start so he can try and get started early..looking forward to a good game 3.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If the Spurs countered with a four guard set the Suns are either going to have to bench Amare or put him on Duncan.

joshtd1

Reaction score
If the Spurs countered with a four guard set the Suns are either going to have to bench Amare or put him on Duncan.

We tried that last year against the Mavs and it backfired..it backfired last night as well..I really dont think Pop will use it, even though i'd like to see it at some point

zett

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Personally I think our best chance to win is if we for Nash to become a scorer..Someone at our forum said it best..if we can limit Nash to under 10 assists we have a great chance to win the game..last game he was able to get into the lane way to easy and get everyone open looks..that will be the biggest change the Spurs will try and make. I dont think Manu will start, but I'd like to see him start so he can try and get started early..looking forward to a good game 3.

If they try this they have to stick to there men and nash will get 40+ easily
I can tell you this SanAntonio will play better and more physical defense, and that may be enough!

joshtd1

Reaction score
If they try this they have to stick to there men and nash will get 40+ easily
I can tell you this SanAntonio will play better and more physical defense, and that may be enough!

I'd rather Nash have 40+ and only 5 assists or so compared to 20 and 16

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
I'd rather Nash have 40+ and only 5 assists or so compared to 20 and 16

nahs with 40 points and 5 assists would mean that he was involved in approx 52 points (one assist=~2.25 points, as you have to consider 3's and and one plays). 20 and 16 means he was involved in 56 points, and got everyone involved which we all know is what makes the suns win a lot of the time. id much prefer him to be facilitator nash than scoring nash. last time he tried to score, the spurs won because thats what they wanted him to do.

Last edited:

joshtd1

Reaction score
nahs with 40 points and 5 assists would mean that he was involved in approx 52 points (one assist=~2.25 points, as you have to consider 3's and and one plays). 20 and 16 means he was involved in 56 points, and got everyone involved which we all know is what makes the suns win a lot of the time. id much prefer him to be facilitator nash than scoring nash. last time he tried to score, the spurs won because thats what they wanted him to do.

Either way, if the Spurs can hold him to under 10 assists, they have a great chance to win

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the negativity, personally I feel that game 3 will be a very close game.

Welcome to ASFN, jdavis. I disagree in that I think we'll lose by 8 to 10 points in game three and four but win game 5. Then the series will be won or lost in game 6.