Humphries tore his ACL

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I had Bahktaria confused with someone else. I'll counter with Terrance Steele the 9th hoghest paid RT that was undrafted. But good pull. You found 1 guy to skew the numbers. The other 4 guys average less than the 7th pick. So not dishonest at all.

I'm not going to waste my time arguing about RT vs LT value. It's a ridiculous stance to take and if you think RT is as important as LT, or even close in the draft then good for you.
You’re Big Mad that the numbers your submitted didn’t actually support your point. I didn’t bring up ADP.

No one is saying RT is as important as LT; the numbers make a pretty compelling case that it’s closer than a lot of people think.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
This definitely changes what the team will do this off season. Before the Humphries injury I had the team sitting pretty much pat on the Oline with maybe pursuing a FA left guard and not drafting any Oline in the first or second round. I suspect that the coaching staff is pretty pleased with the performance of the existing Oline especially when it comes to the running game. Now they need to address the LT position since Humphries is probably not going to be anywhere near ready to start in 2024 and will probably miss most of the regular season.

The question is do they have enough belief in Johnson to move to LT and look to fill the RT position in FA or do they now draft one of the two top LT in the draft?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
First off, sucks for DJ. I like him, and wish him well. This is a bad time for it to happen to him.

It's been stated by others already, but I'll be pretty sick to my stomach if we spent the #6 overall on an OT and the result of it is that within one year we feel he's not good enough to play LT, and we need to spend another top 10 pick on a tackle. You cannot keep redrafting the same position.

Eventually you've gotta hit and let the guys play. Otherwise we should have just kept Keim or whatver.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, sucks for DJ. I like him, and wish him well. This is a bad time for it to happen to him.

It's been stated by others already, but I'll be pretty sick to my stomach if we spent the #6 overall on an OT and the result of it is that within one year we feel he's not good enough to play LT, and we need to spend another top 10 pick on a tackle. You cannot keep redrafting the same position.

Eventually you've gotta hit and let the guys play. Otherwise we should have just kept Keim or whatver.
Wellllll good thing two T’s are on the field at once. And it’s never a problem to have 2 good ones.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What happened to you since you been gone lol what kind of post is this

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well, here’s hoping we can drop down to three after this weekend… Coax a quarterback needy team into a trade and get our LT and some more possible impact picks.
I think Cards are motivated to spoil the Seahawks playoff chances. And I think K1 is very motivated to finish 4-4. Which considering the overall talent of the roster, would be a huge accomplishment that should get more recognition than it probably will.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score
Obviously this is the time to replace Humphries. Cut him and eat the dead cap this season.

It really comes down to what our options are at #4. If MHJ is gone...then the BPA is a LT...and both are better prospects than Paris. As much as it sucks, I would rather not reach at #4. Just leave Paris at RT and hope he takes a big jump in year 2. If we go this route then I would prefer we sign a FA left guard so we aren't starting 2 rookies on the left side...but again...if a guy like Beebe is there at #35 then just bite the bullet and invest in the line.

If MJH is there at #4, or we get a great trade offer...then there are some pretty good RT options with the Texans pick. Latham, Mims, or the Oregon State kid would be good. I could also seeing us signing a decent RT as a free agent, moving Paris to LT, and drafting a LG.

OT and OG were always areas we needed to upgrade this off-season if we are wanting Kyler to play better. Tackle probably just jumped.ahead of guard with this news though

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I bet that MHJ, Nabers, & Odunze will not fall out of the top 10 unless medicals say otherwise. Better start looking at Brian Thomas Jr & Adonai Mitchell. They’re very good prospects too.
AD Mitchell is a baller. Consistently makes wow catches.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pretty sure Beachum is under contract next year. So it’s not 100% necessary to draft an LT with our first pick.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they restructured Humphries contract to allow him to rehab with the club.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wait till the second round to start addressing the D? Guess we have too many holes but we have no pass rush, weak against the run and corners that struggle. This injury really does suck.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Onwenu, Bechton and Eleumanor are the highest graded free agent tackle available. Looks like Onwenu would cost quite a bit but the other two might be affordable.

Reactions: PJ1

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I get what you're saying but my point is, no RT's are being drafted high and there's a reason for that. If Monti drafted Paris to be a RT then he's a fool.
the reason is...some folks cant get out of the nineteen nineties mindset... elite pass rushers come from both sides so you need elite blockers on both sides.
if the dude turns into a ten time all pro it doesnt matter if he is drafted top 5 or in the 6th round. for any position.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Wellllll good thing two T’s are on the field at once. And it’s never a problem to have 2 good ones.
Trust me, I'm all for a strong OL, but the rest of this roster is just in such an abysmal state. You generally don't spend #6 picks on RTs, and I doubt anyone can find evidence that teams are out there rebuilding by starting at right tackle. I'd rather move PJJ to LT and find a guy in FA or the 2nd/3rd to take on RT.

It's not "an issue" to have two good ones, but as of right now, Kyler, our middling QB, who doesn't seem to succeed without elite talent to pass to, is gonna be standing behind them and passing to mediocre talent with maybe Trey McBride as the #1 option. The interior of the line will continue to be okay at best... and we'll be putting an RB out there who should shortly fall off a cliff due to age, and isn't often available due to injury.

I'm meandering here a bit. But I don't think anyone last year would have been okay with PJJ as the pick that high last year if we said we'd not make him the LT of the future.

I don't know that bookend tackles make up for our skill positions being some of the worst in the NFL right now.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What happened to you since you been gone lol what kind of post is this
The optimism of enduring a bad season for a better future has been squeezed out of me.

I think I was braced to have a **** season with the hope that we might hit the grand cosmic restart button on the franchise. Around draft time last year, I had visions of Caleb Williams/Drake Maye throwing to MHJ, with a franchise left tackle in place. Add in ample cap space, and maybe we compete again. Maybe even find a younger, more dominant RB (although Conner has been surprisingly good when healthy this year).

Now I'm envisioning a sadfaced Kyler throwing to McBride, Michael Wilson, the 5th rookie WR off the board, Dortch, an RB edging 30 and a scatback cut from the Jets. Being protected by a rookie we picked out of desperation (ala Levi Brown) and a tackle we drafted way too high the year prior.

No one can project for injuries, but the past week is killing any of the hope I had of a solid rebuild.

We're well on the course (once again) to be one of those teams where your average NFL fan can't name a player on the roster.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The optimism of enduring a bad season for a better future has been squeezed out of me.

I think I was braced to have a season with the hope that we might hit the grand cosmic restart button on the franchise. Around draft time last year, I had visions of Caleb Williams/Drake Maye throwing to MHJ, with a franchise left tackle in place. Add in ample cap space, and maybe we compete again. Maybe even find a younger, more dominant RB (although Conner has been surprisingly good when healthy this year).

Now I'm envisioning a sadfaced Kyler throwing to McBride, Michael Wilson, the 5th rookie WR off the board, Dortch, an RB edging 30 and a scatback cut from the Jets. Being protected by a rookie we picked out of desperation (ala Levi Brown) and a tackle we drafted way too high the year prior.

No one can project for injuries, but the past week is killing any of the hope I had of a solid rebuild.

We're well on the course (once again) to be one of those teams where your average NFL fan can't name a player on the roster.
You were always optimistic if I recall.
It’s hard to keep believing. However, this year went the way 99% of us thought it would. Some pathetic performances and some surprisingly good.
With that said this offense is pretty darn close to being above average. DJ’s injury puts a little dent in the armor. It appears you’d be happy to move PJJ to left tackle and that may very well happen.
That means we would have to sign a right tackle but more than likely we will draft a RT. However, this staff seem to recognize o-line talent so I see us using a top 3rd round pick not 1st round pick.
It appears by most here we need to sign free agent guard. We’ll see. For everyone thinking that, this “ rag tag” group did pretty darn good despite injuries along the way.
I still think we need to add a free agent Wr not named Brown. Then we have to draft one. It doesn’t have to be MHJ since it appears more likely he won’t be available. The kid Keon Coleman really intrigues me. Not sure how long he’s going to last but he might be available with our second round pick.

That would leave our first 2 picks for defense. Would you be happy with Verse and Koolaid?

I don’t know what direction MO is going to take but looking ahead to 24 is going to be a WHOLE lot better than heading into 2023.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
You were always optimistic if I recall.
It’s hard to keep believing. However, this year went the way 99% of us thought it would. Some pathetic performances and some surprisingly good.
For the longest time here, my title was "Optimist," so you're not wrong.

I really hated the Kingsbury hire, and thought taking Kyler was a very dicey choice - made mainly because of KK's obsession with him. That era really challenged my younger "we always have a chance" mentality.

The days with Dobbs were pleasantly surprising, and Kyler's return and win was pretty cool. But it didn't feel consistent. I did feel like systematically, maybe we were growing.

DJ’s injury puts a little dent in the armor. It appears you’d be happy to move PJJ to left tackle and that may very well happen.
That means we would have to sign a right tackle but more than likely we will draft a RT. However, this staff seem to recognize o-line talent so I see us using a top 3rd round pick not 1st round pick.
It appears by most here we need to sign free agent guard. We’ll see. For everyone thinking that, this “ rag tag” group did pretty darn good despite injuries along the way.
Yeah, you nailed it with PJJ. Move him over to the left side, and find another player to sign or draft, without repeating top-of-draft capital. If it was using the Texans' pick and we were on the edge of being a playoff team, let's do it. But otherwise, it feels like preemptively admitting failure. Unless you can really convince me that Monti felt we needed an RT over an LT, like if he were protecting the backside of a left-handed QB... oof.

You're right though, use a 2nd/3rd, sign a player... and I won't complain. I'm reacting to the moment right now, where people seem to want to use premium draft capital on Alt or Fashanu.

I still think we need to add a free agent Wr not named Brown. Then we have to draft one. It doesn’t have to be MHJ since it appears more likely he won’t be available. The kid Keon Coleman really intrigues me. Not sure how long he’s going to last but he might be available with our second round pick.
I'm not enthralled with the state of the WR free agent class outside of Pittman and Higgins, but does it make any real sense for us to make that financial commitment, unless we're committed to the idea we're not getting MHJ (or, I guess Nabers)?

Does a 31 year old Mike Evans, 29 year old Calvin Ridley, or 28 year old Curtis Samuel inspire you much more as a #1 outside of Hollywood Brown? Those are the free agent options I'd see as a #1 option... and I'm being really nice to Samuel there. I'd almost re-sign Hollywood, and I hate that.

Sheesh.

It stinks, but I can't feel okay with the state of the offense, and I also wouldn't pick an OT.

Much love though, my friend! I'm gonna cross my fingers that things fall our way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
For the longest time here, my title was "Optimist," so you're not wrong.

I really hated the Kingsbury hire, and thought taking Kyler was a very dicey choice - made mainly because of KK's obsession with him. That era really challenged my younger "we always have a chance" mentality.

The days with Dobbs were pleasantly surprising, and Kyler's return and win was pretty cool. But it didn't feel consistent. I did feel like systematically, maybe we were growing.

Yeah, you nailed it with PJJ. Move him over to the left side, and find another player to sign or draft, without repeating top-of-draft capital. If it was using the Texans' pick and we were on the edge of being a playoff team, let's do it. But otherwise, it feels like preemptively admitting failure. Unless you can really convince me that Monti felt we needed an RT over an LT, like if he were protecting the backside of a left-handed QB... oof.

You're right though, use a 2nd/3rd, sign a player... and I won't complain. I'm reacting to the moment right now, where people seem to want to use premium draft capital on Alt or Fashanu.

I'm not enthralled with the state of the WR free agent class outside of Pittman and Higgins, but does it make any real sense for us to make that financial commitment, unless we're committed to the idea we're not getting MHJ (or, I guess Nabers)?

Does a 31 year old Mike Evans, 29 year old Calvin Ridley, or 28 year old Curtis Samuel inspire you much more as a #1 outside of Hollywood Brown? Those are the free agent options I'd see as a #1 option... and I'm being really nice to Samuel there. I'd almost re-sign Hollywood, and I hate that.

Sheesh.

It stinks, but I can't feel okay with the state of the offense, and I also wouldn't pick an OT.

Much love though, my friend! I'm gonna cross my fingers that things fall our way.
I consider Alt and fashanu better prospects than Levi brown.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I consider Alt and fashanu better prospects than Levi brown.
That's totally sensible. The eras of football are pretty intensely different, and I'd even say it's rarer to find top-end tackle prospects than ever, since the spread and air raid offenses (in college) trashed what an NFL tackle prospect looks like. But we just picked the guy (Paris Johnson Jr.) who was supposed to be the rock on on our line for a decade.

Levi Brown was just the most "sigh, okay, I guess because we have nothing else, and failed to plan for this" pick in Cardinals history at my age. I was screaming for Peterson.

I know they might be great, but I don't feel confident they lead to wins.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Drafting permanent RTs in the top 10 is so Cardinals.
I've been checking in on the board here or there since my surgery, so not as much as usual, but the hopium and weird football takes seem off the charts in the past few weeks. Maybe I'm way out of touch.

I feel like I'm suddenly going to hear that drafting off-ball middle linebackers is the new hotness, and we need to get back to it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05