Hypothetical draft question

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So let's say the worst case happens and we get a high draft pick again.

And on draft day Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch is sitting there undrafted when we pick, do you pick the guy who might be the best player or do you say we already have huge money tied up with Edge?

I think the knee jerk reaction is we already have Edge maybe trade down to someone who wants Peterson/Lynch but given the average life of an NFL RB I gotta admit I'd be tempted to draft Peterson/Lynch and try to trade Edge.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
So let's say the worst case happens and we get a high draft pick again.

And on draft day Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch is sitting there undrafted when we pick, do you pick the guy who might be the best player or do you say we already have huge money tied up with Edge?

I think the knee jerk reaction is we already have Edge maybe trade down to someone who wants Peterson/Lynch but given the average life of an NFL RB I gotta admit I'd be tempted to draft Peterson/Lynch and try to trade Edge.

Well the worst case IS happening and you are right. This scenerio looks like it will happen.
I'm with pariah, draft Peterson/Lynch and keep Edge...then trade JJ

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the worst case IS happening and you are right. This scenerio looks like it will happen.
I'm with pariah, draft Peterson/Lynch and keep Edge...then trade JJ

But will the Bidwills really want to pay big money to 2 RB's? I'd be fine with moving JJ I said all along Lynch as a freshman was better than him the year he gained 2000 yards, and peterson is a freaking stud(although overworked in college).

The reason I said trade Edge is if he's complaining about carries now can you imagine if we had someone else getting even 6-8 carries a game like the way San Diego uses Turner behind LT?

Peterson has really impressed me this year he's vastly improved at catching the ball and blitz pickup, I'm still a huge homer for Lynch but I do think running style wise he'll probably have more injuries than Peterson in the NFL and may fumble more because he doesn't go down when he should. Both are great players though.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
IMO, the Cardinals have too much money tied up at play maker positions. $11M at WR, $12M at RB, $13M at QB.

Games are won and lost in the trenches. Rebuilting the OL and DL are the key to the future. A QB must have time to get the ball to the playmakers and stopping a running team helps stop long time consuming drives that wear out your defense.

DG has not changed his strategy since his Viking Days. The league has changed. He is stubborn, bi polar, and not active enough on the sidelines.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Draft Peterson, trade Edge.

Would be too expensive to keep both, and Peterson is obviously better long term.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
like the way San Diego uses Turner behind LT?
I think Edge could probably be talked off the ledge if there was another legit contributor in the backfield.

I Think it's even more imperitive that we work a younger back into the rotation like SD is doing with Turner--Edge is a lot closer to breaking down/retiring than LT.

Next year I think we need to look at the possibility of taking a RB or DE very high (if the pick i the right one in the right place) because both Berry and Edge are no spring chickens. And, while Arrington has been playing harder this year, he still scares the bejesus out of me as a starter.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would be too expensive to keep both, and Peterson is obviously better long term.

Sort of the KC model with LJ when you had Holmes?

I would love to upgrade our OL but when you get a shot at a superstar RB who's only 21 I think you have to think real hard before you pass. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we win more games than I think we will.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's curious that a KC fan would say this when I think the shining example of how to transition backs happened in KC over the last couple of years. Bring in the young stud when the wiley vet still has a couple years left on his legs. Worked out okay with Holmes/LJ...seems it might be a similar situation in AZ (sans the kick arse o-line, of course).

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sort of the KC model with LJ when you had Holmes?

I would love to upgrade our OL but when you get a shot at a superstar RB who's only 21 I think you have to think real hard before you pass. Hopefully it doesn't come to that and we win more games than I think we will.

Oh yes. Perhaps the Cards could create a herschel walker trade with Al Davis using Edge.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
I think it's curious that a KC fan would say this when I think the shining example of how to transition backs happened in KC over the last couple of years. Bring in the young stud when the wiley vet still has a couple years left on his legs. Worked out okay with Holmes/LJ...seems it might be a similar situation in AZ (san the kick arse o-line, of course).

Oh wow. Good point. Yes, do that!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My nightmare scenario for this draft would be us on the clock, Peterson picked already but Lynch is available. I literally think I'd be unable to cope with it because I just know we'd pass on him to pick some 330 pound OL who would suck while Marshawn wins the ROY.

That's why I'm glad I missed the draft this year I'd have been going bananas hoping we take Leinart when he fell and terrified we wouldn't.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
I would flip out if we took Peterson or Lynch. The last thing we need is another RB. We need to start building the offensive line and the defense up. I'd like us to pick the best tackle in the draft and move Davis to guard. Depending on who is there we might want to go defense instead but right now we need O-Line.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
My nightmare scenario for this draft would be us on the clock, Peterson picked already but Lynch is available. I literally think I'd be unable to cope with it because I just know we'd pass on him to pick some 330 pound OL who would suck while Marshawn wins the ROY.

That's why I'm glad I missed the draft this year I'd have been going bananas hoping we take Leinart when he fell and terrified we wouldn't.

When Tenn took Young is the first time it crossed my mind, then it just built until I literally couldn't believe he was there.

It seems to me some very good linemen are had by FA, I'd go for the best guards money could buy, I don't care if I overpay for those with Ridiculous cap space, Big is even ok now that he's not an Matt's blind side, maybe you could get special refractive contact lenses so he can see the ball snapped.

I don't follow other teams enough to know what's going to be out there but come on we've got the most cap room in like history next year, fix the dang thing, trade some people and fix it, I believe in taking the best player, at least Green has that right if you've got both then Edge can be traded for something of value.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would flip out if we took Peterson or Lynch. The last thing we need is another RB. We need to start building the offensive line and the defense up. I'd like us to pick the best tackle in the draft and move Davis to guard. Depending on who is there we might want to go defense instead but right now we need O-Line.

Maybe Pittsburgh makes a huge offer for Edge or the pick on draft day desperately wanting a back with some power to team with Parker?

Depends but I think either one of those guys will give you immediate payoff both at RB and returning kickoffs. I just think both are special talents that are going to be awfully tough to pass on if we pick as high as it looks we might pick.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Arrington might have something in the tank, considering Edge looks like crap behind this line. No investing a High 2nd rounder, 40 million dollar Free Agent and a top 10 NFL draft pick, all in one position. This is the first time I would vote for trading down.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
I just think both are special talents that are going to be awfully tough to pass on if we pick as high as it looks we might pick.

They are special and would help most teams. However, it seems clear that just about anyone would have trouble running the ball for us. We need help on the O-Line more than anything else. I would love for our first round pick to be a tackle or even a guard or center who could come in and make a big (No pun intended) impact.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are special and would help most teams. However, it seems clear that just about anyone would have trouble running the ball for us. We need help on the O-Line more than anything else. I would love for our first round pick to be a tackle or even a guard or center who could come in and make a big (No pun intended) impact.
You do realize that even if Lynch/Peterson is on the board for us, then it's almost guaranteed to be a reach if we take an offensive lineman.

Did you think it foolish of New Orleans to take Reggie Bush when they already had Duece McAllister?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No I understand that I'm just not sure there's going to be an OL in the draft that's as much a "lock" to be good as either of these kids? you've got the kid from Wisconsin, the kid from Penn State and maybe Baker from USC at T that are all rated first rounders anywhere from 5-20 something. Fresno State has this huge C named Kyle Young(6'5" 330) who's a total phenomena at C because guys his size and strength are usually LT's. Joeshmo mentioned him the other day he might last into round 2 but my guess is he won't but C's don't go as high as we'll probably pick.

So unless one of the elite tackles is there we might be looking at RB's or DE's or DB's because they may represent the best player on the board?

Mainly just food for thought we all agree the OL is the problem and I'd love to have 2 first round picks and get say Baker and Young, just not sure that's possible.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Jake Long is a hell of a Run Blocker. Is he 1st round material or not though??

He's been blowing open holes for Hart to run through.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
If Lynch or Peterson are available with our pick Denny is going to be feeling the heat. He knows he doesnt need a RB, we all know he drafts the BPA, and we all know Peterson would be the best player available.

This would be the only scenario I could see Denny trading out of the pick. We dont need to spend the money on another RB, we dont need to use a #1 pick on a RB, we need a line to block for our current RB.

Trade down, pick up an extra pick and make the smart choice. RBs are a dime a dozen, however a good oline is not.

Young Card

Veteran
Reaction score
What it comes down to is that if we pick Peterson or Lynch then I think we can look forward to another year of disappointment. This team will not do well until we have a decent/good O-Line.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
What it comes down to is that if we pick Peterson or Lynch then I think we can look forward to another year of disappointment. This team will not do well until we have a decent/good O-Line.

Yes but drafting O-Lineman in the first round hasn't exactly worked for us either. Most of the OL's taken high never meet expectations. You take impact players in the 1st/2nd rounds, then build your depth and lines after that. All the great teams never draft lineman high and always have a good system to develop them. That's the route that I think this team should be following.

Personally I would pass on Lynch and Peterson and try to take a CB. We are consistently getting torched.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05