Hypothetical draft question

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What it comes down to is that if we pick Peterson or Lynch then I think we can look forward to another year of disappointment. This team will not do well until we have a decent/good O-Line.
If we place the onus of the offense's success on next year's OL draft class, then we're in for a long year anyway. Lineman don't usually come into the league ready to play.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lots of good analysis by many on this hypothetical question. Rember the Cotls had Marshal Faulk, traded him to the Rams and took Edge with their low pick. Both teams benifited greatly.

I see Peterson as an impact player but don't know if the Cards would take Lynch another Cal player based on what JJ Arrington did there and is doing now. (This shoud get Russ Smith off the couch!!:D ). Seriously I haven't seen Lynch play and do know he is much bigger than Arrington.

It would be very hard for the Cards to bypass a highly rated OT with their pick. Best player available and top need seem to be one and the same especialy when you have a top ten pick.
For those saying we can fill the OL need in free agents, the list of free agents for 2007 at this point looks very poor. The Cards also have lots of money tied into James and doublt they would take a financail hit by trading him. IMO I really don't see them taking an RB.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd say take this best player available....period.

But, while I'm watching my usual amount of college football (too much) with an eye on prospects, I haven't yet started to mentally slot the top guys. Last year was easy.....Bush, Young and Leinart were obviously heads-and-shoulders above every other prospect and in the "cannot pass on, screw needs" category. I can't say that about Peterson or Lynch yet. Although, they are phenomenal talents.

RFIP

Rookie
Reaction score
So let's say the worst case happens and we get a high draft pick again.

And on draft day Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch is sitting there undrafted when we pick, do you pick the guy who might be the best player or do you say we already have huge money tied up with Edge?

I think the knee jerk reaction is we already have Edge maybe trade down to someone who wants Peterson/Lynch but given the average life of an NFL RB I gotta admit I'd be tempted to draft Peterson/Lynch and try to trade Edge.

IF you pass on Peterson it will be a monumental misatke but, if Denny is still the coach I'm SURE Edge will force his hand and/or mope like a child.

You'd have to keep Edge unless you cut him or give him away. He's washed up now, and only goine to get worse.

Plus, he's a "me-first" guy and always has been...

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of good analysis by many on this hypothetical question. Rember the Cotls had Marshal Faulk, traded him to the Rams and took Edge with their low pick. Both teams benifited greatly.

I see Peterson as an impact player but don't know if the Cards would take Lynch another Cal player based on what JJ Arrington did there and is doing now. (This shoud get Russ Smith off the couch!!:D ). Seriously I haven't seen Lynch play and do know he is much bigger than Arrington.

Check out the youtube video I posted in this thread and watch Lynch. All I can is is 2 years ago when JJ led the country and rushed for 2000 yards, he averaged 7 YPC. And on that same team as a true freshman, Marshawn averaged 8.8 YPC and even that year Cal fans were saying they weren't playing Lynch enough, in a year JJ led the COUNTRY in rushing!

Lymch is amazing but he does take too many hits because of his running style and I do have a concern that he'll fumble in the NFL because he refuses to go down and NFL defenses will cause fumbles if you do that. I'd take Peterson over Lynch if given the choice but I'd agonize over it.

Lynch and JJ have virtually nothing in common beyond going to the same school.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agiNBv_cl5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u954RitQV2Y&mode=related&search=

First one is soph year much of it he's got a cast on one hand, the 2nd one is freshman year #24 the year JJ led the country in rushing.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Check out the youtube video I posted in this thread and watch Lynch. All I can is is 2 years ago when JJ led the country and rushed for 2000 yards, he averaged 7 YPC. And on that same team as a true freshman, Marshawn averaged 8.8 YPC and even that year Cal fans were saying they weren't playing Lynch enough, in a year JJ led the COUNTRY in rushing!

Lymch is amazing but he does take too many hits because of his running style and I do have a concern that he'll fumble in the NFL because he refuses to go down and NFL defenses will cause fumbles if you do that. I'd take Peterson over Lynch if given the choice but I'd agonize over it.

Lynch and JJ have virtually nothing in common beyond going to the same school.

Come on Russ, Lynch plays in the weak Pac 10. Tedford runs up ths scores and none of his guys do well in the pro's. Be honest you are a homer and just love Cal players. When Cal plays against an opponent from a real conference like the SEC they choke as they did against Tennessee. When has a "Tedford" qb or rb player done well in the pros???;)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Russ, Lynch plays in the weak Pac 10. Tedford runs up ths scores and none of his guys do well in the pro's. Be honest you are a homer and just love Cal players. When Cal plays against an opponent from a real conference like the SEC they choke as they did against Tennessee. When has a "Tedford" qb or rb player done well in the pros???;)

Watch the videos, if you still feel that way, I suggest you go see an eye doctor.

:D

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Watch the videos, if you still feel that way, I suggest you go see an eye doctor.

:D

I saw the game against Tennessee where Tennessee had a 35 - 0 lead towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Cal got 18 points against Tennesses's reserves in the 4th quarter.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw the game against Tennessee where Tennessee had a 35 - 0 lead towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Cal got 18 points against Tennesses's reserves in the 4th quarter.

So you saw 12 carries for 74 yards in a game his teammates completely folded up and decided that he's overrated?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on Russ, Lynch plays in the weak Pac 10.

That's what people said about Carson Palmer, Steven Jackson, Matt Leinart, Terrell Suggs, etc. etc. etc. Conference strength is one of the poorest ways to judge pro prospects. It certainly doesn't seem to matter to the scouts and GMs who routinely pick PAC 10 players very high in the draft.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you saw 12 carries for 74 yards in a game his teammates completely folded up and decided that he's overrated?

I'm just kidding arround with you. Lynch may be good but I think we both agree that at this point Peterson would be considered the better prospect. That could change based on many factors especially 40 times.
But IMO I really don't see the Cards drafting a rb in the first round which is the real point of the thread. But I have followed the draft for over 50 years (yes I'm an old fart) and have been wrong many many times.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what people said about Carson Palmer, Steven Jackson, Matt Leinart, Terrell Suggs, etc. etc. etc. Conference strength is one of the poorest ways to judge pro prospects. It certainly doesn't seem to matter to the scouts and GMs who routinely pick PAC 10 players very high in the draft.

None of those guys played for Tedford's California teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just kidding arround with you. Lynch may be good but I think we both agree that at this point Peterson would be considered the better prospect. That could change based on many factors especially 40 times.
But IMO I really don't see the Cards drafting a rb in the first round which is the real point of the thread. But I have followed the draft for over 50 years (yes I'm an old fart) and have been wrong many many times.

I wouldn't give much of an edge to Peterson. But, yeah, he should be drafted before Lynch if the draft was held today.

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Jonathan Stewart from Oregon...

This guy is an absolute beast!

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the problem Cal has this year though most of the country only saw one game, the UT blowout, and that's their opinion of Cal right now.

I think Cal beats USC and wins the Pac 10(unless Lynch's ankle injury turns out to be more serious and they said he could have played again Saturday if needed) this year. The paper pointed out this morning even if they lose to USC if they finish 10-2 they probably go to the Rose Bowl because if USC beats Cal and wins out, they're likely in the national championship game not the Rose Bowl.

Cal did it to themselves though they came out completely overwhelmed against UT and frankly I blame Tedford he tried to be clever and use Lynch as a decoy in the first quarter and Longshore was just too nervous. Now they're hitting on all cylinders.

And DeSean Jackson might be the best pro prospect in the entire Pac 10 that kid is amazing but he's just a soph.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes I already said Peterson would go higher, I think Lynch is more versatile, he played some at WR as a freshman due to Wr injuries, but Peterson is pretty rare at his size, strength and speed.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pass on both of them and draft Steve Slaton.

Show me a 185 pound RB excelling in the NFL and then we'll talk. Lynch actually has a higher YPC figure than Slaton right now.

Slaton is awfully good no question but he's so small I don't think he goes nearly as high in the draft as Peterson or Lynch will. Great college player but the jury is out on him in the NFL because of his size.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Show me a 185 pound RB excelling in the NFL and then we'll talk.
Warrick Dunn? MoJo (Maurice Jones-Drew)?

Those are questions because I don't know his weight...but I know they're small.

BTW, I'm NOT endorsing drafting Slaton.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Warrick Dunn? MoJo (Maurice Jones-Drew)?

Those are questions because I don't know his weight...but I know they're small.

BTW, I'm NOT endorsing drafting Slaton.

Dunn is the only guy that I can think of, Drew is listed at 212 I think he's a bit smaller but he's a very thick kid, I'm actually quite surprised at how well he's done so far I figured he'd be a KR and PR and it would take him a few years to prove himself as a RB but he's done quite well already.

Dunn is a real outlier, Slaton could be too but that's going to be the question on him when he is in the draft(he's a true soph so he won't be this year), his size. He's listed at 5'10" 185 and I doubt either one is accurate. Great player though.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
the problem with the cardinals isn't the runningback position. it is the offensive line. the cardinals need to get some good offensive lineman in the mix. i don't know who is avaible in fa, but the cardinals need to go after a couple if this group doesn't improve. i believe they need to draft best offensive lineman in college ball. the cardinals need to get the best center avaible. step is killing the o-line.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the problem with the cardinals isn't the runningback position. it is the offensive line. the cardinals need to get some good offensive lineman in the mix. i don't know who is avaible in fa, but the cardinals need to go after a couple if this group doesn't improve. i believe they need to draft best offensive lineman in college ball. the cardinals need to get the best center avaible. step is killing the o-line.

Totally agree. The point of this thread is if we continue in the direction we appear to be headed we MAY find ourselves with a pick high enough to get a shot at a premier RB but not necessarily a premier OL. So in that scenario what do you do, take the RB , reach for an OL you could get later, or try to trade down?

Nothing we've done in recent years suggests we have any idea how to draft and develop OL's so it wouldn't shock me at all if we just drafted the RB and tried to build the OL some other way.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Very good debate here. I have my head set on an offensive lineman or some help for the secondary. We are hurting there more. But I definately will not be crying in my beer if we were to get an Adrian Peterson.