Hypothetical draft question

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
if you want to get a big bruising back that has agility then go after micheal bush of the louisville cardinals. he was going to rated one of the highest back going into the draft before he had a season ending injury. i believe it was an acl or a broken leg. hopefully it is a broken leg. he should drop in the draft because of the injury. he is a stud back and would do great in arizona.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Show me a 185 pound RB excelling in the NFL and then we'll talk. Lynch actually has a higher YPC figure than Slaton right now.

Slaton is awfully good no question but he's so small I don't think he goes nearly as high in the draft as Peterson or Lynch will. Great college player but the jury is out on him in the NFL because of his size.

Huh? He is 5-10 190...and he is only a sophomore. By the time he turns pro (which I hope isnt until he is a senior but who am I kidding) he will be 200lbs..

Plus Lynch is averaging 100yards a game/ Slaton 153. He also has more yards in less games played. I think Lynch is solid, but I like Rice, Hart, Slaton, and Peterson more....

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? He is 5-10 190...and he is only a sophomore. By the time he turns pro (which I hope isnt until he is a senior but who am I kidding) he will be 200lbs..

Plus Lynch is averaging 100yards a game/ Slaton 153. He also has more yards in less games played. I think Lynch is solid, but I like Rice, Hart, Slaton, and Peterson more....

West Virginia lists him at 185 and personally I doubt he's that heavy. He averages more yards than Lynch because he gets more carries, they run the ball a lot more than Cal does and with Lynch having an ankle injury much of the year his carries have been even more limited. Hart is good but not all that big or fast, very consistent. I haven't seen Rice play but he too is not even 200 pounds, and Rutgers doesn't exactly play a tough schedule but I won't knock the guy all I've seen is highlights. Of the guys you mentioned the only one who even weighs 200 pounds is Peterson, there just aren't that many guys who excel at RB in the NFL at under 200, maybe Hart, Rice and Slaton all get bigger before they reach the NFL but right now they're all undersized.

I like Slaton he's a great college player but he's a good 30 pounds lighter than Lynch, maybe more, and he plays on a tremendous running team with a great running QB, but he's averaging 6.9 YPC and Lynch 7, the difference is he gets a lot more carries because WVU doesn't throw the ball that much 81 passes in 5 games.

Slaton may be a very good NFL RB but right now he's on the small side and that's going to be the question on him when he is in the NFL draft.

Peterson is the best of the group the combination of speed and power is simply unparalleled. All very good players.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So let's say the worst case happens and we get a high draft pick again.

And on draft day Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch is sitting there undrafted when we pick, do you pick the guy who might be the best player or do you say we already have huge money tied up with Edge?

I think the knee jerk reaction is we already have Edge maybe trade down to someone who wants Peterson/Lynch but given the average life of an NFL RB I gotta admit I'd be tempted to draft Peterson/Lynch and try to trade Edge.

Russ I either draft a real deal OL or trade my pick for a real deal current NFL OL. If there were some super stud who really was a cannot miss you would have to consider him no matter what his position. Our help in the OL is so clear that we have to attack that problem with all we have. Sure looks like we will draft in the top 10 or higher with our start and our schedule unless some miracle happens.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ I either draft a real deal OL or trade my pick for a real deal current NFL OL. If there were some super stud who really was a cannot miss you would have to consider him no matter what his position. Our help in the OL is so clear that we have to attack that problem with all we have. Sure looks like we will draft in the top 10 or higher with our start and our schedule unless some miracle happens.

My fear is there wont be that that stud OL we need. Right now the OT from Wisconsin, the one from Penn State, and possibly Sam Baker are the top rated OT's(Baker is a junior) and at this point nobody seem to think any of the 3 are a can't miss. I think Baker is the best of the 3 but then I see a hell of a lot more USC games than I do Wisconsin or Penn State.

FYI any list of college RB's is incomplete without McFadden from Arkansas although he's a soph and not draft eligible(like Slaton). I'd rate him over Slaton for the same reason, he's bigger.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Maybe Pittsburgh makes a huge offer for Edge or the pick on draft day desperately wanting a back with some power to team with Parker?

Depends but I think either one of those guys will give you immediate payoff both at RB and returning kickoffs. I just think both are special talents that are going to be awfully tough to pass on if we pick as high as it looks we might pick.

Russ: I have watched McFadden as a RB since he was in high school in Little Rock. He is clearly a real deal as an Arkansas sophomore. He was the rookie RB of the year in the SEC last year and he is once again leading the SEC in yardage this year. At around 230 he has 4.4 or better speed, very tough and currently playing with a broke great toe, good hands on passes and moves of a scat back. He will surely opt out of college at the end of his Junior year if he is healthy. He is likely to lead the SEC in rushing once again.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ: I have watched McFadden as a RB since he was in high school in Little Rock. He is clearly a real deal as an Arkansas sophomore. He was the rookie RB of the year in the SEC last year and he is once again leading the SEC in yardage this year. At around 230 he has 4.4 or better speed, very tough and currently playing with a broke great toe, good hands on passes and moves of a scat back. He will surely opt out of college at the end of his Junior year if he is healthy. He is likely to lead the SEC in rushing once again.

Great player but he's nowhere near 230 they list him at 205 on their site and he looks about that size, taller than most of the RB's being discussed. The backup Felix something or other is pretty good too, ARkansas could be really good next year when Mustain really has it going and they have both of those RB's back for their junior year. They're pretty good now only the blowout loss to USC and McFadden wasn't healthy, he was the best player on the field in the win over Auburn IMHO.

Lynch is listed at 217 but I've read he's over 220 now. he was about 205 as a freshman IIRC. Peterson is listed at 218 and again I've read he's bigger, he certainly plays bigger.

I was mainly talking about this next draft where i figure both Lynch and Peterson will come out a year early and be the top rated RB's in the draft. The next draft you figure to have McFadden, Stewart from Oregon, and possibly Slaton all coming out early.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05