I don't see all the optimism

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think we are closer to being the worst team in football than a playoff team.Today's NFL is a passing NFL.We still have zero pass rush to stop the opponent and and a totally unproven passing game on offense.Everybody thinks Blake is going to be some kind of savior.He'll lose us more games than he wins us.Emmit Smith is washed up.Do you really think Dallas would let the career rushing leader,who has been a career cowboy,walk away if he had anything left?Our receiving corp has no proven threat.I just don't see it.WE have not improved any area on the team except at blocking FB and team speed on defense.You can argue all you want that Blake is an upgrade at QB but until i see it, i don't buy it.Not that i think Plummer was anything great,but Blake is a journeyman,at best,QB in this league.Just because he throws a nice spiral in practice doesn't make him a good QB.Now on the positive side of things,i think we can be a good team in a few years.Our OL is the stength of the team and they are relatively young at the key positions.Our WR's will turn out to be a dangerous bunch,just not this year.Our team defense has increased it speed and has some potential.I like our secondary alot.And i like our LB's.The only problem is our DL.I think we are counting way too much on our young guys to have breakout years.That's just not how it works.KVB hasn't shown to be anything special.Pace and Bryant are potentially good but they are also potential busts.Wakefield,Tanner,Bell,and Davis are backups on any team in the league.The coaching staff hasn't really shown anything for about 7 years now.THere are some changes this year but the same guys are still running the show.Sullivan may turn out to be good but he may also turn out to be just a good position coach.Overall,i think we win 5-6 games this year,at most.7-9 wins in 2004 and are playoff bound in 2005.Of course,our playoff hopes are contingent on getting a quality starting QB.That's why i wanted Leftwich so bad this year.In year 3('05) he would be throwing to Boldin and be puting alot of points on the board.Now we're looking at Blake this year and maybe next and then back to the drawing board.I'm starting my Eli Manning campaign now,even though i don't think he's in the same league as Leftwich,he'll be an upgrade over any QB on our roster.I hope we go 9-7,10-6,11-5 this year.I just don't see it.:(

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Learn it. Live it. Love it.

:p Sorry, just teasing, but run on paragraphs are hard to read!

Metal Militia

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cbus cardsfan
You can argue all you want that Blake is an upgrade at QB but until i see it, i don't buy it.Not that i think Plummer was anything great,but Blake is a journeyman,at best,QB in this league.Just because he throws a nice spiral in practice doesn't make him a good QB.

First of all, have you ever thought about using the space bar after a punctuation mark? It works wonders. :D

Jeff Blake has 119 TD's and only 83 INT's over his career. Jake Plummer has 90 TD's and 114 INT's in his career. Blake has a 79.2 career rating while Jake has a 62.0 career rating.

To say that Jeff Blake is not an upgrade to our starting QB position is flat out ludicrous. History shows that Blake will not put the team in a huge hole like Plummer has in the past.

BLAKE IS A HUGE UPGRADE...PERIOD.

By the way, Blake does throw a nice spiral...to the right team.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Pass Rush!

WHO IN OUR DIVISION HAS A GREAT PASS RUSH?

Baloney! COmplete and total!

The Cards have the second or maybe the best pass rush in the NFCW.

49ers awful
Rams not looking good
Seahawks - THEY SIGNED NORMAND HAND for Pete's sake. He is old and fat.

Our pass rush? At least it is young and healthy!

Peace

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cbus - You have a right to your opinion. But you make it seem as though every position you take is a slam dunk certainty. (Oh, if it were that easy, each of us would be GM of a Super Bowl team).

Meanwhile, some of us who are less certain about how the Football Gods operate will just have to wait and see whether or not Jeff Blake and Emmitt Smith are "washed up" and if Eli Manning turns out the second coming of Johnny Unitas.

Warning Label: Be careful about pinning all your hopes to one player (i.e. Manning). (1) He may not live up to expectations, (2) He may get injured, (3) The Cardinals may not share your enthusiasm about the kid and look in another direction and/or (4) Some other team may beat us to the punch.

Looking back over 53 years, every time we've experienced the "gottahaves" (i.e. Colvin, Holliday or whomever), we've wound up being disappointed. There are just too many variables that screw up a plan that centers on one player.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Pass Rush!

Originally posted by RugbyMuffin
WHO IN OUR DIVISION HAS A GREAT PASS RUSH?

Baloney! COmplete and total!

The Cards have the second or maybe the best pass rush in the NFCW.

49ers awful
Rams not looking good
Seahawks - THEY SIGNED NORMAND HAND for Pete's sake. He is old and fat.

Our pass rush? At least it is young and healthy!

Peace

Let's not go overboard here, until we prove otherwise, Andre Carter and 3 nobodys are a better pass rush than what we've had the last 2 years.

I expect big improvement but let's be realistic we're not going to go from worst in the NFL to best in our division in sacks in one year without a LOT of luck.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Blake isnt the NFL's best, but he is no slouch...

The last few superbowls have shown that todays NFL teams dont need a "franchise" QB anymore to win. All you need is a good defense/running game, and a QB who will manage the ball and NOT turn it over!

Plummer killed this team with turnovers... For every great play he was able to make, he made several bad ones...

Blake wont make the probowl, but he WILL bring leadership, and steady consistancy to the offense! For the first time we will beable to move the ball all game long, not just durring the prevent defense!

I dont care what anyone says about our WR's. Jenkins & Sanders were crap. With the exception of Boston we have upgraded the WR core with lots of young talent. They may not be 100% ready to tear it up in the NFL yet, but they will have alot more results with Blake getting them the ball... I honestly dont see the production going down at the WR spot, we have alot of capable guys ALL fighting for the top spots...

Our only glaring weakness IMO is the D-Line. But I cant help but think "how could they NOT get better"? As bad as they have been, we now have 2 first round pass rushers in Bryant and Pace, pluss a healther KVB. They have to atleast get an average NFL pass rush going dont they?

I am not sure how much better that pass rush will be but, I truely believe this team is better at each position this year. Weather its depth, better talent, or just another year of experience. This years Arizona Cardinals WILL be a fun football team to watch!

And that is somthing I have been dying to see!

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
Blake isnt the NFL's best, but he is no slouch...

The last few superbowls have shown that todays NFL teams dont need a "franchise" QB anymore to win. All you need is a good defense/running game, and a QB who will manage the ball and NOT turn it over!

Plummer killed this team with turnovers... For every great play he was able to make, he made several bad ones...

Blake wont make the probowl, but he WILL bring leadership, and steady consistancy to the offense! For the first time we will beable to move the ball all game long, not just durring the prevent defense!

I dont care what anyone says about our WR's. Jenkins & Sanders were crap. With the exception of Boston we have upgraded the WR core with lots of young talent. They may not be 100% ready to tear it up in the NFL yet, but they will have alot more results with Blake getting them the ball... I honestly dont see the production going down at the WR spot, we have alot of capable guys ALL fighting for the top spots...

Our only glaring weakness IMO is the D-Line. But I cant help but think "how could they NOT get better"? As bad as they have been, we now have 2 first round pass rushers in Bryant and Pace, pluss a healther KVB. They have to atleast get an average NFL pass rush going dont they?

I am not sure how much better that pass rush will be but, I truely believe this team is better at each position this year. Weather its depth, better talent, or just another year of experience. This years Arizona Cardinals WILL be a fun football team to watch!

And that is somthing I have been dying to see!

nail in the coffin brother!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I used to be in the Corps too. I think only a Marine would recognize Chesty.

Semper Fi.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for Manning, I think Eli will be a better QB than his big brother. To me he seems more calm in the pocket and more intelligent than Peyton did in college.

If McCown doesn't look like he is improving this season and we have a chance to take Manning I wouldn't hesitate to get that draft card to the podium.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Zeno

Semper Fi.
As for Manning, I think Eli will be a better QB than his big brother. To me he seems more calm in the pocket and more intelligent than Peyton did in college.

If McCown doesn't look like he is improving this season and we have a chance to take Manning I wouldn't hesitate to get that draft card to the podium.

Semper Fi.

What was your MOS?

I was an 0311 and 8541

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
2542 - Communications, I've been out since 1994. I loved the Corps hated my MOS, they wouldn't let me do a lateral so I got out. Also I think I am one of the few guys that honestly can say he liked Camp Lejeune and would move back there if he had the chance.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Semper Fi.

I disagree about Manning. Eli is no where close to as intelligent as his brother, though he is a much better athlete. He has a pretty good arm, good running ability, but his decision making under pressure is questionable.

If I'm looking for a Qb next year, I might draft Philip Rivers from NC State. He is a winner (so far NC State has had a winning record his entire career and he started as a freshman) with a good arm, though he is very slow. He kind of reminds me of a poor man's Drew Bledsoe with more guts.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
If I'm looking for a Qb next year, I might draft Philip Rivers from NC State. He is a winner (so far NC State has had a winning record his entire career and he started as a freshman) with a good arm, though he is very slow. He kind of reminds me of a poor man's Drew Bledsoe with more guts.

I'm curious to see how Ben Roethlisberger pans out in Miami.

My favorite QB in 2004 is Cody Pickett from Washington. Dude is tough as nails.

2005, Andrew Walter, if he keeps rolling along. I think losing McDonald will help him in the long run.

On a related note, how many picks do you think Manning would throw a year if he didn't have Marvin Harrison catching everything in sight?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I'm curious to see how Ben Roethlisberger pans out in Miami.

My favorite QB in 2004 is Cody Pickett from Washington. Dude is tough as nails.

2005, Andrew Walter, if he keeps rolling along. I think losing McDonald will help him in the long run.

On a related note, how many picks do you think Manning would throw a year if he didn't have Marvin Harrison catching everything in sight?

I haven't seen Roethlisberger play, but I've heard he might be the best QB in this coming class.

I like Cody Pickett too. Big, strong Qbs are intriguing to me after watching a smallish, weak Qb for six years.

With Manning, I'm not exactly sure. He might not throw any more picks, because I think that he actually makes Harrison look better. Sure, Harrison is a really good receiver, but Manning makes him look All-world. Manning is definitely a great QB, but he would be off not being the focal point of his team (like Elway during the Broncos Super Bowl run).

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I wonder about Walter. He throws a nice ball, but I'm not sold on his accuracy. Dirk Koetter's offense can be downright stupid at times, since he sometimes tries to throw the ball 40 yards down field on 3rd and 2. It seems like he never has receivers run short routes, and I wonder how ready Walter will be for NFL offenses.

I think ASU is going to be bad this year. I know that isn't a popular opinion, but I think losing Suggs, McDonald, Mason Unck, and a few others is seriously going to hurt the program.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
I think ASU is going to be bad this year. I know that isn't a popular opinion, but I think losing Suggs, McDonald, Mason Unck, and a few others is seriously going to hurt the program.

If ASU sucks this year its because of the tremendous strain the arbitration has put on the ASU athletic dept. as a result of this greedy Cardinal organization! (extreme sarcasm)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Semper Fi.

I'm with section 11, Eli Manning doesn't do it for me. Peyton is more physically gifted. Hopefully Eli won't become as anal retentive as Peyton is but I don't like his throwing mechanics at all he seems to sling the ball a lot and his ball seems to take off on him.

Has the size and strength of arm you need in the NFL I just don't see him as worthy of a #1 pick. Probably will be though that's what it's like for a QB in the NFL draft.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
I'm with section 11, Eli Manning doesn't do it for me. Peyton is more physically gifted. Hopefully Eli won't become as anal retentive as Peyton is but I don't like his throwing mechanics at all he seems to sling the ball a lot and his ball seems to take off on him.

Has the size and strength of arm you need in the NFL I just don't see him as worthy of a #1 pick. Probably will be though that's what it's like for a QB in the NFL draft.

I keep hearing people say that he isn't as physically gifted....but Eli is a much better runner than his brother was. He plays much closer to the way his dad played, but lacks the mental make up that has made his brother so successful.

I think he's more talented physically, less mentally. The mental aspect, imo, is much more important.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how Ben Roethlisberger pans out in Miami....My favorite QB in 2004 is Cody Pickett from Washington. Dude is tough as nails.

No way a dude named Roethlisberger makes in the NFL - For one thing, Terry Bradshaw would never figure out to pronounce it during a game.

Now "Cody Pickett" - there's a hard-core NFL QB name.

Some of my favorite all-names:

Shafer Suggs from Ball State

Sanders Shiver from (lit-tle) Carson-Newman.

Ramsay Dar Dar - DT from LSU (drafted 4th by Cards a while ago)

Whizzer White was a pretty cool name too, come to think of it.

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
i think blake is going to be your qb for at least five years. he will turn it over occasonally but he has a gun that will win some games for us. he throws a great deep ball but he is extremely affective at hitting the screen and the tight end. ithink were gonna have fun and win a lot of games. blake is my favorite player and im glad hes a cardinal.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by jtav10
i think blake is going to be your qb for at least five years. he will turn it over occasonally but he has a gun that will win some games for us. he throws a great deep ball but he is extremely affective at hitting the screen and the tight end. ithink were gonna have fun and win a lot of games. blake is my favorite player and im glad hes a cardinal.

Jeff is that you? :)