I hope you got a good look at Al Horford

Delmon Young

Rookie
Reaction score
He just cemented himself in the top 5 with that showing today. What a freakin' beast.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
The Suns need a true big to play alongside Amare. After watching todays game I'm starting to really hope that they can land Horford somehow. Noah wouldn't be a bad consolation prize though.

OldDirtMcGirt

Reaction score
I've been a huge Horford supporter, although I have serious doubts whether or not he's around when we pick. For me it goes Brandon Wright-Al Horford-Yi Jianlian-Joakim Noah-Julian Wright in that order.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I've been a huge Horford supporter, although I have serious doubts whether or not he's around when we pick. For me it goes Brandon Wright-Al Horford-Yi Jianlian-Joakim Noah-Julian Wright in that order.

That works for me. If they draft Wright, they might as well trade Boris.

pkdumas

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Noah is trash. But it doesn't really matter who get with the pick because he won't be NBA ready until after Nash is in a retirement home.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noah is trash. But it doesn't really matter who get with the pick because he won't be NBA ready until after Nash is in a retirement home.

Your pessimism would play better here if you weren't such a

You must be registered for see images attach

fordronken

Reaction score
Well, good-bye Durant. I wonder if the early exit is going to make him want to come back next year. Or maybe he'll realize that if he goes pro, he might have a coach who knows how to run plays for him.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I want Horford on this team! Either him or Acie Law...I wouldn't mind Noah, but I don't see him as much more than a nice role player from the bench.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you, Joakim Noah = the next Mark Bryant

Julian Wright looked pretty dadgum impressive today. So did Rush for that matter.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Physically they have almost nothing in common. I think you need a different comparison.

I joke about the Bryant comparisons (lifetime journeyman power forward), but I don't see Noah's athleticism translating to the NBA game. He can bully some college players, but I don't think he will ever play to his size at the next level. We've already seen better college low post players push him around while Horford covers for his mistakes. Al Thornton, at 210 lbs., made Noah look average. People talk about his perimeter skills, but he looks very awkward to me shooting the ball. If he puts the ball on the floor at the next level as much as he does in college, he's going to be a turnover machine.

Noah is a much better physical specimen than Bryant, but he's got a lot of work to do to contribute more than a Bryant, IMO. He's not the sure-fire Top 10 pick he's made out to be. If you believe the rumors, he's already got Tim Duncan Syndrome -- he wants to be a PF, not a center, at the next level. I don't know how to break it to him, but I can think of maybe two teams where he wouldn't have to log at least 10 minutes at the center position.

That said, if there's any team that might end up with a top 5 pick that can afford to be patient with a player like that, it would be the Suns. Considering where the pick might end up, I don't think there are any other post players that will contribute immediately, either.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I joke about the Bryant comparisons (lifetime journeyman power forward), but I don't see Noah's athleticism translating to the NBA game. He can bully some college players, but I don't think he will ever play to his size at the next level. We've already seen better college low post players push him around while Horford covers for his mistakes. Al Thornton, at 210 lbs., made Noah look average. People talk about his perimeter skills, but he looks very awkward to me shooting the ball. If he puts the ball on the floor at the next level as much as he does in college, he's going to be a turnover machine.

Noah is a much better physical specimen than Bryant, but he's got a lot of work to do to contribute more than a Bryant, IMO. He's not the sure-fire Top 10 pick he's made out to be. If you believe the rumors, he's already got Tim Duncan Syndrome -- he wants to be a PF, not a center, at the next level. I don't know how to break it to him, but I can think of maybe two teams where he wouldn't have to log at least 10 minutes at the center position.

That all sounds reasonable. I just remember Bryant as being on the short and stocky side (I thought he was 6' 8", and something of a banger, right?), rather than a beanpole. Would someone like Gadzuric be a better Noah comparison, according to your analysis?

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My recollection of Mark Bryant was that he was built like a banger (perhaps 6'9") but unfortunately he played relatively soft. I think the comparison of Gadzuric and Noah is better at least concerning their build. Noah reminds me of another player more but unfortunately I can't think of who at the moment.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
I don't see Noah as a Gadzurick...Gad really didn't do much in college for all the hype he had coming in. He didn't have much skill, he was just tall/long and pretty athletic...Noah is tall/long, athletic, and has a high basketball IQ.

AZBALLER

sleeping giant
Reaction score
As for Mark Bryant, I liked him during his time with the Suns. He wasn't here long, and he was here late in his career, but he was an effective low post defender/rebounder and could score every now and then...There's not too many centers on the Suns over the last 20 years that I can say that about.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Horford looks nba-ready. He could definitely help a team in his first year. I hope he's still on the board if and when we pick. Although that would probably mean Amare will play center for the rest of his career so long as we have both starting.

Noah is interesting, but I think he's projected to go a little too high. He will be a work in progress. I love his energy though. He would be a fan-favorite.

I haven't seen Brandan Wright yet, but the scouting reports compare him to KG. He might be gone by the time we pick though.

I don't really want to draft a SF with the first pick. We need a defensive presence, a natural shot-blocker and rebounder. Horford could fit that bill very well.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
well, horford is compared 2 boozer and horace grant. i dnt think he is the weak side shot blocker that the suns ae looking for but if he continoues to improve he maybe the rebounder that the suns needs since diaw decided to stop rebounding. I think amare can be the shot blocking presence, he just needs consistency on defense. we need an assistant caosch that help the team undestand how to play more affective defense.

I go to nba draft .net

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think the suns are going to pick Al hoford if he is avaliable. I dnt think they are going to pick a 7 footer for being 7 foot. I think they are going to pick the best athlete avaliable that is nba ready.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
If Horford jumps his stock anymore, he'll go top 3 (Oden-Durant-Horford) leaving us potentially chosing between Wright or Noah. In that scenario, I take Noah even though Wright is a more highly rated prospect. However, it's all moot if ATL doesn't drop us into the #4 or #5 position. I fear we'll end up stuck somewhere in the middle and draft another swing. I'd rather be at #10 and get Thornton than be at #7 and get Julian Wright, you know?

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the Suns make a go of Tiago Splitter. He's friends with Barbs and the issue with Splitter was always where he went in the draft and money. He's not a shot blocker, but he's purported to be a top-notch defender and rebounder. He's a high-post center for Brazil and a low-post center in Europe, so he's got his passing game down.

Another player to keep in mind might be Ty Lawson, the North Carolina PG. I think he'd be best to stay in school, but he's exactly the kind of kid Phoenix wishes they had coming off the bench right now. Can shoot and excels in transition.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That all sounds reasonable. I just remember Bryant as being on the short and stocky side (I thought he was 6' 8", and something of a banger, right?), rather than a beanpole. Would someone like Gadzuric be a better Noah comparison, according to your analysis?

I dunno. Gadz looks more athletic to me than Noah, but Noah has more skill. Possibly one of the reasons so many people love Noah is it's hard to think of another player currently in the NBA like him. He may be closer to Andris Biedrins, and we saw how long it took Biedrins to get accustomed to the NBA. (Of course, right now I'd kill to have Biedrins on our team!). Noah's not near that kind of rebounding ability yet.

I will give Noah credit for playing with a lot of energy. No one questions his effort.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I am convinced of it. If Florida continues to win in the Tournament, Horford's stock will rise, while Noah's will fall. Watching them on Sunday really showed how much more physical Horford is than Noah, and how he can score with guys hanging on his shoulders.

If I had the 3rd pick, it would be Horford.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just hoping the Suns keeps their first round picks or at least get something of value in return if they decide to move any. The idea of the Suns using their picks as garbage really irritates me. I think the NBA Draft always contains quality young players although certainly some players take more time to develop than others. See Barbosa. A very wise investment.

asudevil83

Reaction score
at this moment there are only two guys on my MUST HAVE list that should be available at the #4-#5 slot:

Horford and Brandan Wright. either of those two would be PERFECT next to Amare.

i just dont see Noah as an NBA player. he's got hustle and a nack for being at the right place at the right time, but other than that i dont think he has the skills to be more than a role player in the NBA.....and any team who drafts him in the high lotto is making a BIG mistake if they are looking for a star.