I hope you got a good look at Al Horford

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
well, horford is compared 2 boozer and horace grant. i dnt think he is the weak side shot blocker that the suns ae looking for but if he continoues to improve he maybe the rebounder that the suns needs since diaw decided to stop rebounding. I think amare can be the shot blocking presence, he just needs consistency on defense. we need an assistant caosch that help the team undestand how to play more affective defense.

I go to nba draft .net

horford definitely is not a shotblocker, but he's a fantastic anchor defender. very strong. denies position and has quick feet. and he's got effective post moves (not coach d's offense allows for post ups). i love him. l lerve him. i luff him . . . with two "f"s . . .

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If Horford jumps his stock anymore, he'll go top 3 (Oden-Durant-Horford) leaving us potentially chosing between Wright or Noah. In that scenario, I take Noah even though Wright is a more highly rated prospect. However, it's all moot if ATL doesn't drop us into the #4 or #5 position. I fear we'll end up stuck somewhere in the middle and draft another swing. I'd rather be at #10 and get Thornton than be at #7 and get Julian Wright, you know?

i somewhat agree with you, but i think at the 7 or 10 slot i'd rather grab brewer. we definitely need a big defender, but after that who tends to kill us? the athletic big swingmen. the maggettes, the stackhouses, the howards. those guys just kill barbs, and even raja to an extent. brewer is a legit 6'9 with excellent ballskills. man, if he could shoot he'd be awesome. great defender, plays long.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I would not be surprised if the Suns make a go of Tiago Splitter. He's friends with Barbs and the issue with Splitter was always where he went in the draft and money. He's not a shot blocker, but he's purported to be a top-notch defender and rebounder. He's a high-post center for Brazil and a low-post center in Europe, so he's got his passing game down.

Another player to keep in mind might be Ty Lawson, the North Carolina PG. I think he'd be best to stay in school, but he's exactly the kind of kid Phoenix wishes they had coming off the bench right now. Can shoot and excels in transition.

In DraftExpress' write-up they mentioned Lawson starting fast breaks from opponent's made baskets. That has me intrigued. Too bad he's relatively small. If there was any truth to D'As comment on Sergio being to small Lawson is SOL.

Splitter would be an excellent pick as he could fit right in where KT leaves off. Naturally I think Horford would do the same only better, but it's unlikely we'll pick high enough to get him.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
at this moment there are only two guys on my MUST HAVE list that should be available at the #4-#5 slot:

Horford and Brandan Wright. either of those two would be PERFECT next to Amare.

i just dont see Noah as an NBA player. he's got hustle and a nack for being at the right place at the right time, but other than that i dont think he has the skills to be more than a role player in the NBA.....and any team who drafts him in the high lotto is making a BIG mistake if they are looking for a star.

I haven't watched either of these guys much, and actually I haven't really watched college ball that much to have a definitive opinion on draft prospects. Can either of these two guys play effectively WITHOUT the ball right now and in the NBA? Because they would have to give up the paint on offense to STAT. We've seen what happens to a big that plays with Amare and can't be effective without the ball (see Diaw). Now if they're a more athletic, better rebounder and shotblocking version of Kurt Thomas, that would be nice. But like I said, I haven't watched either much to really have an opinion.

If the team is in need of another big guy, they probably don't need one that's a scorer, primarily a back to the basket player, that needs the ball to be effective.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I haven't watched either of these guys much, and actually I haven't really watched college ball that much to have a definitive opinion on draft prospects. Can either of these two guys play effectively WITHOUT the ball right now and in the NBA? Because they would have to give up the paint on offense to STAT. We've seen what happens to a big that plays with Amare and can't be effective without the ball (see Diaw). Now if they're a more athletic, better rebounder and shotblocking version of Kurt Thomas, that would be nice. But like I said, I haven't watched either much to really have an opinion.

If the team is in need of another big guy, they probably don't need one that's a scorer, primarily a back to the basket player, that needs the ball to be effective.

u have some good points there but the main reason diaw's numbers are low its because he is lazy , passive and lacks assertiveness. Horford plays with 4 other potential lottery picks and he still finds a way to be effective. thats why I think horford would be a good compliment to amare.

I think its a waste that a person with dia's talent has gone to waste.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was asking, to the people that have seen him extensively, is whether he can be effective when he's not the primary low post threat. I haven't seen Florida enough to form my opinion, therefore I can't exactly get into an argument one way or the other.

cly2tw

Reaction score
From the discussions so far, my conclusion is that either of the four would be a good pick for the Suns:

Horford, Noah, Yi, Splitter

If so, if Atl's pick is anywhere in the top10 but not top3 would yield us something satisfactory. I'm happy now with this knowledge. :)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
u have some good points there but the main reason diaw's numbers are low its because he is lazy , passive and lacks assertiveness. Horford plays with 4 other potential lottery picks and he still finds a way to be effective. thats why I think horford would be a good compliment to amare.

I think its a waste that a person with dia's talent has gone to waste.

easy there on the "four other potential lottery picks" talk. Green is a second round pick at best and humphries likely won't be drafted at all. noah and brewer are lotto picks. so your comment should have been "two other potential lottery picks."

that said, horford's midrange jumper continues to improve. i think he'll have a similar j to kurt, which means he can play alongside amare. and better, when amare's out of the game horford has a legit back-to-the-basket game (though coach d will never use it . . . sigh).

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
key word POTENTIAL, diaw has all star potential but will he be NO.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just hoping the Suns keeps their first round picks or at least get something of value in return if they decide to move any. The idea of the Suns using their picks as garbage really irritates me. I think the NBA Draft always contains quality young players although certainly some players take more time to develop than others. See Barbosa. A very wise investment.

Amen to that.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
neither taureen green nor humphries have lottery POTENTIAL.

well then let me restate that then he know how to play with two other lottery picks.

diaw doesnt know how to play with 2 star players while Horford has shown he can. this is actually the point I was trying to make. I just believed Skip bayless when he said FLorida has four potential lottery picks.

I guess that was an exageration.

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I just believed Skip bayless when he said FLorida has four potential lottery picks.

he probably just forgot that the knicks dont have a lottery pick this year. they really need a point guard so he could go as high as 23rd

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well then let me restate that then he know how to play with two other lottery picks.

diaw doesnt know how to play with 2 star players while Horford has shown he can. this is actually the point I was trying to make. I just believed Skip bayless when he said FLorida has four potential lottery picks.

North Carolina had 4 lottery picks a couple of years ago.

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I just saw the florida game today. Im from Az its kinda hard to see players from out of the pac-10.

Horford-I thought responded when the ball was in his hands. I thought Noah played too hyper and may need to control it a bit if he decides to declare.

I saw lots of upside in Horford than in Noah mainly because horford listens to his coach. I think Noah needs to play less hyperactively. Horford's blocks were very impressive. His strenght also makes him more attractive that Noah.