I would rather not take a QB at all...

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
If Leinart or Young aren't there at 10. If those two guys are off the board, I really don't want to waste a pick on Cutler or someone in the mid rounds. It would make more sense just to sign Kerry Collins as a backup for this year and go out and trade up to get a QB next year. Either way we are gonna need to have a decent veteran backup to Warner which means a rookie like Omar Jacobs or whoever in the mid rounds wouldn't/shouldn't see any PT.

I just think the Cards are waiting to see if someone falls to them at #10. If they don't then its no big deal. This year is a good draft to add depth and plug a few necessary holes in the spots we are lacking (OT, TE, S). Then next year you make a move and trade up to get Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton, or Troy Smith.

I just don't feel it makes much sense to draft a guy like Jacobs, Whitehurst or Croyle this year. I think it would just be a wasted pick when we could still get a solid OL, DB or TE at that spot. We just have too many other areas that should be addressed this year. We should wait til next year and make it our number 1 priority. Just my two cents. Have at it.

SMAC

Nobody Beats the Wiz!
Reaction score
I agree, it's time for the Cards to take a stud QB in the first round. If none are available (at number 10) then I wouldn't use a first-day pick on QB. A good second day draft pick could be Bruce Gradkowski of Toledo. He is of similar stature to Warner and is very tough. He could be an ideal career backup.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
I totally agree also. If Young or Leinart aren't there don't reach for the Mel Kiper hyped Jay Cutler who nobody had heard of before the draft. I would rather grab a QB in the mid rounds.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
JPlay said:
I totally agree also. If Young or Leinart aren't there don't reach for the Mel Kiper hyped Jay Cutler who nobody had heard of before the draft. I would rather grab a QB in the mid rounds.

I thought we talked about this......

Cutler, if he's a product of anyones hype, it is from established football minds Ron Jaworski, Mike Mayock, and Chris Mortensen. Mel Kiper is on record as saying he is overratted.

I trust Denny. If he likes Culter there, there is enough to be excited about the kid from a physical and mental standpoint that i will say its a great pick. As long as the second pick is a OL, i dont mind getting someone behind Warner with all the tools who will only benefit from his advisement.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
JPlay said:

First, Kiper isnt hyping him. In fact he thinks he is overrated but will still be picked high.

Second, people have heard of Cutler way before the draft. He was 1st team preseason all SEC and named best QB and 1st team SEC in the post season. If you follow college ball outside of the west then you knew who Cutler was.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
If Leinart or Young aren't there at 10. If those two guys are off the board, I really don't want to waste a pick on Cutler or someone in the mid rounds. It would make more sense just to sign Kerry Collins as a backup for this year and go out and trade up to get a QB next year. Either way we are gonna need to have a decent veteran backup to Warner which means a rookie like Omar Jacobs or whoever in the mid rounds wouldn't/shouldn't see any PT.

I just think the Cards are waiting to see if someone falls to them at #10. If they don't then its no big deal. This year is a good draft to add depth and plug a few necessary holes in the spots we are lacking (OT, TE, S). Then next year you make a move and trade up to get Brady Quinn, Drew Stanton, or Troy Smith.

I just don't feel it makes much sense to draft a guy like Jacobs, Whitehurst or Croyle this year. I think it would just be a wasted pick when we could still get a solid OL, DB or TE at that spot. We just have too many other areas that should be addressed this year. We should wait til next year and make it our number 1 priority. Just my two cents. Have at it.

It's ironic all the love for Leinart and Young and not for Cutler in light of the "experts" like Jaworski and Mortensen thinking Cutler is the best of the lot.

I see the Sportsnation poll has VY as the most likely of the top 15 rated prospects to be a "bust." Mike and Mike briefly mentioned it this morning. "Boom or bust" was the phrase used.

I don't necessarily want Jay Cutler at #10, but he may prove to be the best of the big three QBs in the long run.

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
I guess my point was that I don't want a QB at all unless it was Leinart or Young. Not even someone in the middle rounds. I think we would just be better off waiting til next season if that were the case.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'll always be open to a second day QB, that day is for project guys anyway.

But I'll always be very scared of a QB in the top 15. I'm probably wrong for it, but it seems like there's a lot of salary tied into a position and if a QB busts then it seems twice as bad as another player position.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we wait yet another year to draft a QB high, we'll really screw up this team in the long run, IMO. We should have done it the past few years and if we either skip it again this year or don't have the opportunity the Cardinals will have really squandered an opportunity to have some continuity with what might be one of the best WR tandems in the history of the NFL.

:brokenrecord:

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Pariah said:
If we wait yet another year to draft a QB high, we'll really screw up this team in the long run, IMO. We should have done it the past few years and if we either skip it again this year or don't have the opportunity the Cardinals will have really squandered an opportunity to have some continuity with what might be one of the best WR tandems in the history of the NFL.

:brokenrecord:

How many 1st round QBs has Dennis Green picked during his coaching career? How many winning seasons did he have before picking a 1st round QB?

If the QB available is BPA, fine so be it ... make the pick. However, you do not pick a position for the sake of picking a position that just leads to Mac and Tobin type drafts.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
I still think Omar Jacobs will be a very good pro. I have heard some good things also (although I have never seen play) the kid from Oregon who was hurt. Kellen something?????

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
.....being a fan for almost 50 years...i don't have the patience for the qbof thing...as i said and also echoed by someone above..there is always a qbof out there..mr qbof will be holding a clipboard in september when the season opens...we don't need that a veteran a la a kerry collins is all we need now...if the OL is not addressed in a big way...you can "wet" on the fire because the hunt is over.

OP
OP
The Commish

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
CardinalChris said:
I still think Omar Jacobs will be a very good pro. I have heard some good things also (although I have never seen play) the kid from Oregon who was hurt. Kellen something?????

Omar Jacobs has a weird delivery. If he were to be drafted his mechanics would need to be completely overhauled. Here are some highlights of him:

http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=3071b3e2-0f03-4d1c-8a0a-bb28d3eb78fa&f=rss33

As far as Clemens is concerned, I think he's pretty weak. Doesn't have the makeup of a good QB. Of course I have only seen him play twice not to mention this is all really a crap shoot anyways, so what do I know?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Omar Jacobs has a weird delivery. If he were to be drafted his mechanics would need to be completely overhauled.
Why? His motion looks alot like Marino's did. He barely pulls the ball to his ear fires a rocket.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I would not be disappointed if we didn't draft a QB. I am disappointed that we didn't do more to improve the OL. I think Young will be a bust and prefer Cutler. However, I am not an expert and will defer to Denny and his wisdom on whom has the potential to be a NFL QB. I do want to see some OL selected in day one. If we don't improve the OL no QB or RB will be successful. I don't know if poor coaching, injuries or a lack of talent was the reason the poor OL performance or all three but I do know that they sucked and something needs to change.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Another thread on why we shouldn't draft Cutler. Than the pro's and con's regarding that.:bang:

I'll be so glad when draft day finally gets here.:cheers:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
lobo said:
.....being a fan for almost 50 years...i don't have the patience for the qbof thing...as i said and also echoed by someone above..there is always a qbof out there..mr qbof will be holding a clipboard in september when the season opens...we don't need that a veteran a la a kerry collins is all we need now...if the OL is not addressed in a big way...you can "wet" on the fire because the hunt is over.

So, how many 1st round QBs have we had? And how's that been going for us? How about stopping the QB carousel?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Omar Jacobs has a weird delivery. If he were to be drafted his mechanics would need to be completely overhauled.

You can say the same thing about Vince Young and people are salivating over him at 10.That being said, i'd rather take a shot on Jacobs in the 4th when it won't kill your draft if/when he doesn't pan out.

Tyrestud

Rookie
Reaction score
Denny wont touch Cutler unless he's confident that he'll be the starter next year. With that in mind, if Cutler is the pick, I'm OK with it. I guess it comes down to having faith in the brain trust. I could'nt say that in the McGinnis / Tobin days.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Tyrestud said:
Denny wont touch Cutler unless he's confident that he'll be the starter next year. With that in mind, if Cutler is the pick, I'm OK with it. I guess it comes down to having faith in the brain trust. I could'nt say that in the McGinnis / Tobin days.

Wait, do you mean Denny won't draft Cutler unless he's confident he'll be the starter in 2006 or 2007?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Let me answer your question (should we draft a QB at #10?) with a question which assumes that all 3 of the top QB's have talent -

Is the drop-off in talent between the top 3 and the next echelon (considered a very good crop) of QB's all that significant?

If so, I think we'll take a QB if available at #10.

If not, why not wait til round 2,3 or 4 and draft someone like Croyle, Whitehurst, Clemens or (my guy) Reggie McNeal? We might be able to help our team more by drafting primo talent at O-line, NT, safety or WLB).

So I repeat the question - is the talent gap all that great between Young, Leinart or Cutler and all the other QB prospects?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:

So I repeat the question - is the talent gap all that great between Young, Leinart or Cutler and all the other QB prospects?
I think so.