Chargers at Cardinals MNF gameday thread 10-21-24

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
This is true.

But on Sportscenter they were talking about the two QBs and how Herbert threw for more than 2xs the yardage of Murray but never got his team in the end zone while Kyler did twice. The guy actually said Herbert is "empty calories". Murray has had games like that in past years with big yards but getting an L. I definitely preferred being on this side of the conversation. The stats are ugly, but made some plays that actually won the game.
This is a unique game where arguably kyler had more weapons than his counterpart. He had all his receivers, a better tightend, a better runningback. The lines aren’t comparable, of course, but in the second half the cards oline performed well.

Think about what Herbert had:

Palmer - meh
Mconkey - rookie
Reagor - sucks
Dissly - meh
Dobbins - good, but below Conner when consider rushing and receiving

That’s what he had to work with. That’s garbage.

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm not a K1 fan but I agree with this 100%. Kyler didn't have a great game, but he was good enough. I don't care about stats I care about wins, and tonight Kyler led us down the field for the game winning score. I'll take that every week.
Agree with this. But recognizing, and appreciating, that doesn’t mean we can’t also discuss his overall performance in reasonable terms, right? That’s what’s weird with this board. Some players become absolutely beyond reproach with some posters. For the life of me I’ll never understand that. I’d even criticize Fitz if he earned it.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kinda a glass half empty person huh??? Not that you won't be proven right in your assessment but you never can tell... I kinda don't think it helped this team in any way shape or form when you have the number 4 pick in the draft and a bunch of picks because you're rebuilding and the NFL decides to schedule 5 of your first 6 games against playoff teams ( Good luck rookies lol.) that made the playoffs for the past 2 seasons.. The NY Giants are 2-5 ( with and easier first 6 weeks ) than the Cardinals and they picked 6th, don't even mention the Seahawks first 6 games smh, take a look at their schedule. They should be undefeated even after week 7.
Are you the K1SinceDay1 account on twitter?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'm very happy for the win. I'm glad I did not watch the game, I think it might have been the worst NFL highlight video I've ever seen. The only Kyler passes it contained were the big runs by Conner and most of it was defensive highlights. Dire.

Was like watching a drunk bum beat up an even more drunk bum with one arm.
Actually it was quite the entertaining game. But go ahead and tell us all what we really saw.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On the plus side Melton led the team in tackles, which suggests he played a lot more (I assume SMB went out early). Saw he had at least one PBU too. Hopefully this seems him permanently start.
This is another great indicator of how stats lie. Brit thinks Melton had a great game. He had the tackles because his man kept catching passes on him. I’ll give him this credit, he was always pretty close to his man. But so was tommy knight back in the day. But Melton seems closer. If he gains just a tad more anticipation he may actually be good. His lone PBU was nice.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Clear maybe to you. Not to many of the rest of us. I see the opposite on MHJ
Yeah Brit’s blinded by his dislike of kyler. I’m plenty critical of murray but MHJ is causing me a GREAT deal of concern. He doesn’t even look like a competent receiver much less a great one. That doesn’t mean I think he’s a bust, but to date he’s got my attention . . . in a negative way.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We all saw his college tape, and multiple first round wide receivers out of Ohio (Wilson, Olave, Smith-Njigba) have said MHJ was the best WR out of the 3 of them.

He didn't suddenly get bad.
Well he isn’t actually playing well. When the commentators are playing tape showing lack of separation and not running full speed and we’re watching dropped balls that ain’t the qb or scheme.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The way our front seven shut down their running game was amazing!

A big part of that performance was coaching and leadership because it damn sure wasn't Naquan Jones out-talenting the Charger offensive lineman in front of him.

There was even a semblance of pass-rush last night too.

It was an inspired effort from the defense. Truly. Credit to JG and NR and to all 22 starters and back ups.
Only on very rare occasions. Most of the night Herbert had as much time as he wanted.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
His receivers certainly didn’t help him.
whats weird: both Wilson and MHJ had contested balls that they both jumped for but didnt need to -- and in fact, increased the difficulty of the catch significantly --
i just feel like both those balls were passes that I see other, non superstar WRs make with regularity

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 drops today. Kyler looks like Colin Kapernick at the moment but it's not all on him.
What counts as a drop? If the QB throws the ball behind the receiver and the receiver looks like a contortionist trying to catch the poorly thrown ball and even touches the ball before it continues behind him and hits the ground or is almost an INT, is that counted as a drop? Asking as a Cardinals fan.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What counts as a drop? If the QB throws the ball behind the receiver and the receiver looks like a contortionist trying to catch the poorly thrown ball and even touches the ball before it continues behind him and hits the ground or is almost an INT, is that counted as a drop? Asking as a Cardinals fan.
A pass that the receiver can reasonably be expected to catch. Usually a ball that you can get both of your hands on.

The actual definition that I found was "incomplete passes where the receiver SHOULD have caught the pass with ORDINARY effort.".

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
how about, hits the intended receiver on both hands?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
whats weird: both Wilson and MHJ had contested balls that they both jumped for but didnt need to -- and in fact, increased the difficulty of the catch significantly --
i just feel like both those balls were passes that I see other, non superstar WRs make with regularity

It's physics really. Because of Kyler's diminutive stature, the ball is traveling at a much higher angle than from a normal human being. This gives the illusion that the ball is going to sail over the WRs head which causes instinct to factor in and they naturally jump. It's much easier to show in a photo:

You must be registered for see images attach

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I am starting to worry about the quality of our WR coaching. MHJ had one of the best in Brian Hartline at OSU. Not blaming it for his dismal start but starting to wonder about it.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to worry about the quality of our WR coaching. MHJ had one of the best in Brian Hartline at OSU. Not blaming it for his dismal start but starting to wonder about it.

I don't buy it they're not teaching him how to catch the ball now. And he was supposed to be one of the best route runners ever. So far he looks like a guy who was playing on natural ability in college and is completely flummoxed by how fast NFL players are

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's physics really. Because of Kyler's diminutive stature, the ball is traveling at a much higher angle than from a normal human being. This gives the illusion that the ball is going to sail over the WRs head which causes instinct to factor in and they naturally jump. It's much easier to show in a photo:

You must be registered for see images attach
post of the week. got an audible chuckle from me.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
The other alarming thing last night was Max Melton, who had a great play earlier and then got positively curb stomped for the rest of the game. I lost track at 5 or 6 completions against him. ANd he was getting turned around by a rookie, McConkey. I wanted him to play more and still do but last night was a bit disconcerting, he couldn't cover anybody
Actually he covered relatively well. He just didn’t finish by making an effective play on the ball. As I said, very tommy knight. Hopefully with time and experience those become finished plays.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually he covered relatively well. He just didn’t finish by making an effective play on the ball. As I said, very tommy knight. Hopefully with time and experience those become finished plays.

True although the cushion he was giving was pretty big.

But the Tommy Knight comparison is valid, great coverage couldn't play the ball in the air to save his life

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan