If my Spurs don't win it--I hope the Suns do

Greg Popovich

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am writing this morning to let you guys and gals in Phoenix know something about the vast majority of Spurs fans here in San Antonio.

Most people that I know would never root for the Mavs--if their lives depended on it, they won't root for the Mavs.

This is not the case with the Suns. San Antonio fans really hoped that Phoenix would have defeated the Mavs in the WC Finals last year. For the days the series was being waged, people in SA were crazy for the Suns to win it.

My point?

This is going to be a great series.

Its going to be close.

Its going to be fun.

Its going to be nerve wracking like hell.

But I have to say--I hope the commentators are correct when they say that the winner of this series will win the NBA title.

Of course--I hope this is the Spurs.

But if they don't, I would proudly support the Suns in the WC Finals and in the NBA Finals.

Nash is a fantastic player. So is the entire supporting cast around him.

So please--try to keep this in mind when you read other web sites where a few crazy local fans poke fun at the Suns. Deep down--those same people were really on your side against the Mavs last year.

Lets have a great series--please God, spare the players from both teams from injury.

Oh--one more thing...

GO SPURS GO!

(I had to say it!)

GP

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

ma_falaa_50

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I am writing this morning to let you guys and gals in Phoenix know something about the vast majority of Spurs fans here in San Antonio.

Most people that I know would never root for the Mavs--if their lives depended on it, they won't root for the Mavs.

This is not the case with the Suns. San Antonio fans really hoped that Phoenix would have defeated the Mavs in the WC Finals last year. For the days the series was being waged, people in SA were crazy for the Suns to win it.

My point?

Its going to be close.

Its going to be fun.

But I have to say--I hope the commentators are correct when they say that the winner of this series will win the NBA title.

But if they don't, I would proudly support the Suns in the WC Finals and in the NBA Finals.

So please--try to keep this in mind when you read other web sites where a few crazy local fans poke fun at the Suns. Deep down--those same people were really on your side against the Mavs last year.

Lets have a great series--please God, spare the players from both teams from injury.

Oh--one more thing...

GO SPURS GO!

(I had to say it!)

GP

very well articulated. I thought that whomever won this searies would go on the win the title but since the Jazz won yesterday that trek just made things a lot harder. I wish that one these two teams win though but more on the suns side. I think either PHx or San antonio will be so beat up that Jazz will snatch the Western Conference right from under them. I really dont like the idea of the east winning again. I like the bulls and cleveland but they are not good enough to beat detriot. I dont think the jazz can beat detriot becuase the jazz beat you by rebounding and getting extra possesions and I dont think they can outrebound the pistons.
Much like last year, I think the western Conference will get disappointed again.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Thanks for the classy post! Even with your tragic flaw of being a Spurs fan, you're welcome here anytime. :)

Amen on "no injuries".

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
You gotta like this guy. He's upfront, he shows some class, and he knows that the Spurs are gonna tax the Suns to the limit.

Greg, I hope the Suns win it...I think the can win it...but the Spurs are their biggest challenge. I think, the winner of this series will take the whole thing.

Play ball!

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
very well articulated. I thought that whomever won this searies would go on the win the title but since the Jazz won yesterday that trek just made things a lot harder. I wish that one these two teams win though but more on the suns side. I think either PHx or San antonio will be so beat up that Jazz will snatch the Western Conference right from under them. I really dont like the idea of the east winning again. I like the bulls and cleveland but they are not good enough to beat detriot. I dont think the jazz can beat detriot becuase the jazz beat you by rebounding and getting extra possesions and I dont think they can outrebound the pistons.
Much like last year, I think the western Conference will get disappointed again.
The Jazz are worn out right now going against a up-tempo GS team. They will have a tough series also but even if they don't I really don't see them beating the Suns or the Spurs during the playoffs.

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
Amen. I'd rather gouge my eyes out with a screwdriver than root for Cuban and the Mavs to win anything.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
The Jazz will not beat the Suns or Spurs. Despite the 1-3 record against them, the Suns really controlled Utah. All three losses went right down to the final possession with Barbosa missing a layup in the first one, Nash not playing in the second game, and Okur burning us with a winning shot in the third. Then the Suns blew them out by 29 in Utah in the final week of the regular season.

The Jazz are a poor mans Suns. They're no quite as fast, and not quite athletic, and the Spurs would dominate them. They have nobody for Timmy. Duncan would have his way with Boozer.

I do believe that the Suns-Spurs series is for the championship, although I'm getting increasingly concerned with how well the Pistons have turned it up for the playoffs.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I can't say that I would root for the Spurs if they won though. They have enough championships. :) Unless they end up playing Utah, a team I've always despised. But not if they play GS. But all of this will be a moot point, because the Suns are taking this series! :D

Looking forward to a great match up though. This is what they play for all season long.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
If GS wins and goes to the finals and we lose to Spurs, I will be rooting for GS. I can't root for Spurs.

Having said that... Suns in 6!!!!

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
******** the french people, always head butting people/

first it was zidane, and now its parker.

joshtd1

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

My point?

Its going to be close.

Its going to be fun.

Oh--one more thing...

GO SPURS GO!

(I had to say it!)

GP

Good post..from one Spurs fan to another!