if no deal for boris this summer, MAX near year?

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
The way he's going, I say heck yes. Everything that can be said about his has already been, but going forward I see his decision-making becoming even better and becoming a GREAT shooter. Add that all together, and he gets a max if he doesn't sign an extension this year...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You don't give roll players max deals.... I'm not sure he would find the same success on another team that he has in Phoenix

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
But other teams will chuck money near MAX to Diaw.... its about perception and potentials... thats whats wrong with GMs these days.

Diaw is no doubt talented and FAR from a role player, he is borderline all-star at this point. So imagine how much money other teams will offer a 24 year old...or 25 by the time he hits free agency.

A lot.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm sorry but since when is a player who averages 13 points a game a max player? People have a hard time justifying Marion as a max deal player. The NBA is a business not a video game

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
not only superstars get max deals. if you can play a big man position and do what diaw can do...wow

eric dampier
antonio davis
keith van horn
brian grant
raef lafrentz
maurice taylor
troy murphy
adonal foyle

boris is better than all these fools combined. none of them have averaged 30ppg in the western conference finals (like Boris is doing right now) or can drop trip-dubs like its nothin.

they all get max/near max money. this is the nba. welcome to reality.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
playstation said:
not only superstars get max deals. if you can play a big man position and do what diaw can do...wow

eric dampier
antonio davis
keith van horn
brian grant
raef lafrentz
maurice taylor
troy murphy
adonal foyle

boris is better than all these fools combined. none of them have averaged 30ppg in the western conference finals (like Boris is doing right now) or can drop trip-dubs like its nothin.

:roll: Oh geeze, give me something from the last 4 or 5 years...... The NBA is changing and you don't hand out max deals like that anymore and those players you listed are the reason for it along with the luxary tax. What do you think Boris' roll is going to be when Amare comes back? If they move Marion he can slide in the SF slot, but if they don't??? I'm glad you're not my accountant. Put the video games down and join the real reality.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boris Diaw = shorter Danny Manning without the bad knees. He deserves money as a very good player, but only suckers give him the keys to the vault. I'd love to keep him, but it's too costly to play the role of sucker in this league.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
playstation said:

eric dampier
antonio davis
keith van horn
brian grant
raef lafrentz
maurice taylor
troy murphy
adonal foyle

You're not serious, are you? That list is precisely why Boris WON'T get a max deal.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
You're not serious, are you? That list is precisely why Boris WON'T get a max deal.

you beat me to that one, Chap. :)

Boris is going to get a nice, big chunk of change. It will probably start $6-8 million. If you can extend him this off-season you can probably go another season before you have to trade Shawn Marion. Unfortunately I think the matrix is the odd man out provided Amare shows he can come back and stay healthy.

Joe Mama

JAndrews

Rookie
Reaction score
I think they hold this core team together one more year and then let players go. I dont know if you resign LB and may be he and trix in a trade for a draft pick or younger player. I think LB is showing his limitations and he is not worth max money or medium to high deals. JJ and KT may be gone this off season.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A healthy Amare and Kurt Thomas and this team runs away with the title. Next year it's the championship for this team

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
I think Boris has so talent and will do great things in the future. He's learned a lot during this season, as you can see in this series, and I believe he will be an all-star soon. I think the Suns had better sign him to an extension now before they have to give him a max deal in a year or two.

OP
OP
playstation

playstation

Selfless Service
Reaction score
if the suns don't extend him this summer, i'll be bringing this thread up in 1 years time...

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Boris is definately getting a big pay raise...We'll just have to ship Marion to pay for it.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I may be alone, but I see something along the lines of 4 years, 18-20 million for Barbosa and 5 for 30 for Boris as reasonable rates for both.

Boris isn't a max player. Yes, he's looked great this year, borderline All-Star even, however I still can't see him getting max money based on one good year.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Jay said:
I may be alone, but I see something along the lines of 4 years, 18-20 million for Barbosa and 5 for 30 for Boris as reasonable rates for both.

Boris isn't a max player. Yes, he's looked great this year, borderline All-Star even, however I still can't see him getting max money based on one good year.

unfortunately, if that's your offer you won't be reciting either of them this summer, and Boris might cost twice that much next summer.

I wouldn't re-sign Barbosa for anything more than the mid-level, and I'm not even sure I want to pay him that. He'll never start on a championship caliber team. He doesn't have the point guard skills, and he's too small to guard opposing shooting guards all the time.

Depending on what the Phoenix Suns do in the draft and the off-season I would not be against trading Barbosa. Of course I would want something decent in return for him.

Joe

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I think Boris has to be signed to a long extension. They definitely want to get that done this summer. As far as Barbosa, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was traded.

Interesting part is going to be who of theo other forwards gets traded/ let go- Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas or Marion.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I'm sorry but since when is a player who averages 13 points a game a max player? People have a hard time justifying Marion as a max deal player. The NBA is a business not a video game

Ryan, Ryan, Ryan...first of all it's spelled 'role.' :D

Secondly, you can't judge by his points per game. He does A LOT more than just score 13pts a game. He's a playmaker, defender, and rebounder (in that order) and brings up the overall 'basketball IQ' of this team.

That being said, no way he gets a max deal. His talents are suited to only a handful of teams in the NBA.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
you beat me to that one, Chap. :)

Boris is going to get a nice, big chunk of change. It will probably start $6-8 million. If you can extend him this off-season you can probably go another season before you have to trade Shawn Marion. Unfortunately I think the matrix is the odd man out provided Amare shows he can come back and stay healthy.

Joe Mama
I agree completely... Diaw is gunna take Marions place in two years.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
SirStefan32 said:
I think Boris has to be signed to a long extension. They definitely want to get that done this summer. As far as Barbosa, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was traded.

Interesting part is going to be who of theo other forwards gets traded/ let go- Tim Thomas, Kurt Thomas or Marion.

Wouldn't losing Barbosa, Jones and Eddie House leave enough cap room? And maybe trying to get a back-up point guard in a Barbosa trade... Tim Thomas said he'd sign cheap and I hope he does that, Kurt was so important to our D and ran decently for a big guy and Marion should have one more great year and if they want to they can trade him next year.

nothin' but net

All Star
Reaction score
Nasser22 said:
Wouldn't losing Barbosa, Jones and Eddie House leave enough cap room? And maybe trying to get a back-up point guard in a Barbosa trade... Tim Thomas said he'd sign cheap and I hope he does that, Kurt was so important to our D and ran decently for a big guy and Marion should have one more great year and if they want to they can trade him next year.

They won't do much for cap relief as they have relatively small contracts. They are also taking up roster spots that will have to be filled again.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
unfortunately, if that's your offer you won't be reciting either of them this summer, and Boris might cost twice that much next summer.

I wouldn't re-sign Barbosa for anything more than the mid-level, and I'm not even sure I want to pay him that. He'll never start on a championship caliber team. He doesn't have the point guard skills, and he's too small to guard opposing shooting guards all the time.

Depending on what the Phoenix Suns do in the draft and the off-season I would not be against trading Barbosa. Of course I would want something decent in return for him.

Joe

totally agree with the above - Sarver's gotta offer Boris what he SHOULD have offered JJ - 6 years, 60 million. Learn your freaking lesson Sarver.

Anyone who thinks Boris is a role player NOW and will continue to be one in the future doesn't know the first thing about basketball. He and Amare ARE the future - while Amare, Marion and Nash are the present - gotta think long-term here - we can parlay the Atlanta picks and our combo of young and older talent into a TEN YEAR RUN - if we really know what we're doing.

Again - Leo - he's a great Bobby Jackson off the bench, but he's not as irreplacebale as Boris - a guy who can do EVERYTHING and is just starting to scratch the surface of his playing abilities.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
All this talk about trading key players is ludacris. This team deserves a chance to see what it can do when everyone is healthy. Look what they have done already without two key players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05