If Warner was to throw this opportunity away...

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If Kurt Warner decides to give up warm weather and a brand new stadium with state of the art turf, let him walk. Not to mention Fitz and Boldin. Yeah, the Lions have the Williams' and Rogers, not to mention Jones. These guys are not as far along as our WR's but Jones is better than J.J.(although, I have some hope for him) or Shipp (Solid year....fully recovered). Warner would be insane unless they offer alot more money and knew knees.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Warner's only had the one knee injury but I agree that he would be crazy to start over again. I think he's looking forward to a year of continuity and the success that comes with everyone being in the system for a year. I don't think either side's in a hurry right now as there's no benefit one way or the other to getting a deal done weeks before March 3rd. I think they're just fine-tuning all the language and massaging the numbers but both parties know that they want each other and Warner's not going to push the issue. He's never held out or demanded to be the highest paid or anything like that. The Cardinals have his rights for a couple more weeks and everyone knows it. No rush.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The rumors here in AZ is that the contract is 3 years.....$5 million per. That seems MORE than fair to me. If he doesn't want to be part of the team for that....oh well. Not like this team is out of options.

He'd be best off here. Statistically it's a no brainer. Any QB would be salivating over throwing to Q and Fitz. If the Cards improve in the red zone on O and D, you gotta think this team also gives him the best chance to win.

I wonder why it hasn't been signed yet. I realize we have until March 3rd.......but it's not like nothing ever goes wrong here.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If I had to guess, it would be the terms of the contract and not the money which is holding things up. Who knows what Warner is looking for but security is likely part of it. I'm sure the $15 million is probably fine with him as an overall number, but backloading it or the size of the signing bonus or trade clauses or who knows what are probably being worked on.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I thought I heard it was just pretty much a flat $5 million per....for 3 years. That seems totally fair to me. No guaranteed money if it were me. He played well last season, but nothing to prove to me he can be the man for a full 16 game season. We still need a better than average backup.

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
And if the Cardinals don't make him an offer is he still insane? It takes both sides to get a deal done. It's been made clear that the Cardinals have interest, and he has interest, let's let this play out instead of speculating all the time.

I agree that going to Detroit would be a dumb move especially if the Cardinals put an offer on the table. Kurt should know by now that Mike Martz is almost like the devil of the NFL and that the Rams did Kurt a favor by taking him out of Martz's mad scientist way of thinking and letting him endup in a situation like he's in now with the Cardinals.

It seems like some of you guys are putting words in Kurt's mouth though, he's said he wants to be here and has said it with pride in several interviews. Leave it at that until he actually signs somewhere else, and even then it doesn't mean it was purely his decision.

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
The rumors here in AZ is that the contract is 3 years.....$5 million per. That seems MORE than fair to me. If he doesn't want to be part of the team for that....oh well. Not like this team is out of options.

And we all know how contracts in professional sports should always go smoothly and quickly. If they are taking a while then the player is always the one at fault. :rolleyes:

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
FlagstaffDave said:
And if the Cardinals don't make him an offer is he still insane? It takes both sides to get a deal done. It's been made clear that the Cardinals have interest, and he has interest, let's let this play out instead of speculating all the time.

I agree that going to Detroit would be a dumb move especially if the Cardinals put an offer on the table. Kurt should know by now that Mike Martz is almost like the devil of the NFL and that the Rams did Kurt a favor by taking him out of Martz's mad scientist way of thinking and letting him endup in a situation like he's in now with the Cardinals.

It seems like some of you guys are putting words in Kurt's mouth though, he's said he wants to be here and has said it with pride in several interviews. Leave it at that until he actually signs somewhere else, and even then it doesn't mean it was purely his decision.

The the above posts. Indications are that the Cards have made him a very fair offfer. Even Cards critics in the media are echoing this contention.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I thought I heard it was just pretty much a flat $5 million per....for 3 years. That seems totally fair to me. No guaranteed money if it were me.

That is the problem they were rumored to have offered a 3 year 15 mill deal with very little signing bonus. I wouldnt except that deal if I was Warner either. he would be dumb to except an offer such as that, a player needs some insurance in their contract somewhere and somehow for them to want to sign it.

Especially at such an early stage of negotiations, this rumor was from about 2 weeks ago when negotiations really started. The Cards need to at least throw in some roster bonus guaranteed money in their somewhere. It will save us if he doesnt make the roster and pays Warner guaranteed money if he does make the roster.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Redrage said:
The the above posts. Indications are that the Cards have made him a very fair offfer. Even Cards critics in the media are echoing this contention.

It wasnt a fair offer, it had little to no guaranteed money in it. And for a starting QB that just wont cut it. It was also a beginning first offer ment to be negotiated on. No player or agent is going to except the first offer given tot hem.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
That is the problem they were rumored to have offered a 3 year 15 mill deal with very little signing bonus. I wouldnt except that deal if I was Warner either. he would be dumb to except an offer such as that, a player needs some insurance in their contract somewhere and somehow for them to want to sign it.

Especially at such an early stage of negotiations, this rumor was from about 2 weeks ago when negotiations really started. The Cards need to at least throw in some roster bonus guaranteed money in their somewhere. It will save us if he doesnt make the roster and pays Warner guaranteed money if he does make the roster.

I agree with you there. I don't want to give Warner a signing bonus at all, but bonuses based on performances would be fine to me. Similiar to how they had Esiason's contract set up. Just scratch out all the parts were they made him sit on the bench so they wouldn't have to pay him.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
It wasnt a fair offer, it had little to no guaranteed money in it. And for a starting QB that just wont cut it. It was also a beginning first offer ment to be negotiated on. No player or agent is going to except the first offer given tot hem.

Ditto....

Bim: accept

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Deja vu all over again.

joeshmo said:

Some fans tend to get all hot and bothered when a player doesn't jump on the first team offer. It took a while to get Q's deal and it may take some time to get Kurt's deal done. There are over two weeks till he would hit the market. Even if he hits the open market, I expect the Cardinals would have an opportunity to beat any other offer.

I anticipate a deal getting done since it is in both side's best interest to get one done. I anticipate a signing bonus in the $6-million range. That is a fair figure to both sides and assumes Kurt plays at least two more years at a high level and helps groom the QBOTF. This teams needs continuity in the passing game, needs his veteran leadership, and needs his familiarity with the offense.

Starting over at the QB position would be a death knell for the Dennis Green era in Arizona IMO. Even though the team is built around defense, a competent offense is necessary for a serious playoff run in 2006.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
I agree with you there. I don't want to give Warner a signing bonus at all, but bonuses based on performances would be fine to me. Similiar to how they had Esiason's contract set up. Just scratch out all the parts were they made him sit on the bench so they wouldn't have to pay him.

Quite simply: If there is no guaranteed money, say goodbye to Warner. To my mind, that's when offers from Detroit, or others - become an option for Warner. From a business standpoint, he'd be a fool to sign anything without at least a third of the contract made certain.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Quite simply: If there is no guaranteed money, say goodbye to Warner. To my mind, that's when offers from Detroit, or others - become an option for Warner. From a business standpoint, he'd be a fool to sign anything without at least a third of the contract made certain.

OK then, goodbye. I'm interested in seeing us pursue Kitna, draft a QB or see what is in the world of trading for Schaub. I'd really like to draft a QB if we can get Edge in FA. Open the pursestrings.